ADVERTISEMENT

Reading the Tea Leaves

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
After the string of recent offers for the 2020 class, where do the Hawks stand

#1 Target is Xavier Foster, crystal ball predictions are dated. He and his family are Hawk fans, hoping we get this young man. Inside presence we can use.

PF - with recent offers to Kiyron Powell, Max Murrell and Jaylon Gibson it is fairly obvious that Dawson Garcia and Jamari Sibley will not be Hawkeyes. If Foster is not a Hawk, I think Powell and Murrell would be a great tandem. Powell is a good shot blocker and can run. I like Murrell's inside/outside game.

PG - I still think Nigel Pack gets an offer, he and Powell play ball together. Still hoping for Desmond Polk. I think Terry and Beard are off the radar.

Wing - Really like Andre Jackson, great athlete. Would love to see him in our fast break offense. Still have a glimmer of hope but with Fran offering Greg Madsen from Minnesota and Kerwin Walton from Chicago who are both wing players, I wonder if Jackson has communicated something.

Based on the latest, a class of Foster, Powell, Madsen and Pack would be very good. Come on Xavier, get the ball rolling.

I was really high on Pack.....but I think that ship has sailed. He committed to KState right?

I like all of the PF prospects that we are recruiting....Max Murrell looks to have some really good athleticism, but just recently Nebraska offered him if I remember correctly. That might be a tough one to overcome.

I was really high on Pack.....but I think that ship has sailed. He committed to KState right?

I like all of the PF prospects that we are recruiting....Max Murrell looks to have some really good athleticism, but just recently Nebraska offered him if I remember correctly. That might be a tough one to overcome.

I missed where Pack committed, bummer, really liked his game.

IF...big IF, we were to get Jackson and Powell....that 2 man class alone would be outstanding. Extremely athletic pair to add to what we already have on hand. Then land that top flight PG in 2021 (you could even take Born and ask him to redshirt his first year) and still shoot for that stud PG in 2021.

So, Xavier, Powell, Jackson, and Born and call it good for 2020. Sign me up.

Last edited:
IF...bit IF, we were to get Jackson and Powell....that 2 man class alone would be outstanding. Extremely athletic pair to add to what we already have on hand. Then land that top flight PG in 2021 (you could even take Born and ask him to redshirt his first year) and still shoot for that stud PG in 2021.

That would most likely be a Top 20 class nationally and Top 3 in the B1G. I wouldnt hold your breath.

That would most likely be a Top 20 class nationally and Top 3 in the B1G. I wouldnt hold your breath.

I'm not holding my breath (note the big IF) just day dreaming....but I felt like predicting over 20 wins and an NCAA tournament before last season was maybe just dreaming as well..and it happened.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Foster is definitely a big one for Fran to land. We should have some built in advantages as the local school with ties to the family. We lost an important in-state recruit last year, who seemed like exactly what we have been missing for a years. And, landing Foster could start the ball rolling for a great class, that could be pivotal for the future of the program. I don't know much, but it seems like we have at least as good a shot as anyone, and the mild interest from the blue bloods should help.

Foster is definitely a big one for Fran to land. We should have some built in advantages as the local school with ties to the family. We lost an important in-state recruit last year, who seemed like exactly what we have been missing for a years. And, landing Foster could start the ball rolling for a great class, that could be pivotal for the future of the program. I don't know much, but it seems like we have at least as good a shot as anyone, and the mild interest from the blue bloods should help.

I'm with you on Foster. Hoping Joe T shuts down DJ Carton when they meet!

I echo Jedn's sentiments. I hope Carton excels in the classroom and has a great career outside of basketball after he fails miserably on the court at OSU.

A lot of recent articles show recruits were are in the mix for saying very complimentary things about Iowa and the staff, but reading the so called tea leafs makes me feel we are not positioned all that well with a lot of them. Some tough competition for all of them and they seem to sound more excited about other programs IMO.

That being said, I think we have just a good a shot at Foster as anyone and hope we land him, but I get a real good vibe from the Andre Jackson articles. I know the two east coast teams (UConn and especially Syracuse) will be tough to beat but I just get a good feeling there is a good chance he'll be a Hawk based on what he has said for a while now. We'll see.

Reactions: iamia
IF...big IF, we were to get Jackson and Powell....that 2 man class alone would be outstanding. Extremely athletic pair to add to what we already have on hand. Then land that top flight PG in 2021 (you could even take Born and ask him to redshirt his first year) and still shoot for that stud PG in 2021.

Unless Nunge can play Center we really need a 5 in the 2020 class. Give me Foster and an athletic wing and I'm happy with the class, regardless who else is in it.

I really am hoping for Foster, and Jackson. If we get those two it's a good class even without Murrell (my next choice), Powell, or Gibson. We have a lot of offers out to PG's. Of course I'd love Sugg's or one of the 4*'s, but wouldn't be disappointed if we land Born.

Foster alone would make this class.
Iowa has offered Tyler Ulis' younger brother.

tenor.gif

Unless Nunge can play Center we really need a 5 in the 2020 class. Give me Foster and an athletic wing and I'm happy with the class, regardless who else is in it.

I really am hoping for Foster, and Jackson. If we get those two it's a good class even without Murrell (my next choice), Powell, or Gibson. We have a lot of offers out to PG's. Of course I'd love Sugg's or one of the 4*'s, but wouldn't be disappointed if we land Born.

Nunge I feel could play center just fine. Nearly 7' and now 255lbs.

If Foster comes in 2020, how do Garza and Foster fit together for the year? Foster at the 4, Garza at the 5?

Foster is a little raw. Much like Jaxson Hayes at Texas, I see Foster initially coming off the bench playing 20 minutes per game.

I agree with this but I cant imagine that Fran isnt selling playing time. Plus, i dont believe a kid with Xaviers hype would commit without expecting to start. Pure speculation.

If Foster comes in 2020, how do Garza and Foster fit together for the year? Foster at the 4, Garza at the 5?
If Nunge is as good as I hope, Foster might play about 20 min at primarily the 4, with Nunge splitting time between 4 and 5, when Luka is sitting. Foster might become a 5, as he fills out and shows he can/will mix it up with some of the bruisers in the B1G, if he stays more than 2 years.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT