ADVERTISEMENT

Real Woods to the Hawks!!

Is there a point where we see a company trying to use NIL to create a story by steering a wrestler to a school?
Sending a wrestler to Iowa and doing a season long documentary on their quest to get on top or sending a top wrestler to a school to topple the Iowa scoring record?

It seems pretty clear that RBY is no better than 50/50 to come back to PSU as of this time. His question to PSU fans — and I think by reasonable extension to others — about how a 3rd title sounds like fishing for NIL. What additional amount he’d need from a source outside PSU to return to a different team isn’t clear. He may be in a position to have “true” NIL that’s independent of school affiliation, at least more so than many other wrestlers, so how that figures in makes it a little different.

@IAChief32, you hearing anything?

How does it seem clear he's 50/50 to return? That doesn't seem clear to me at all. I'd assume he's back until proven otherwise.

Way too many variables to fret much over an analysis now. Transfers, injuries, and mysterious departures from expected norms have plenty of room left to run.
Yeah, last year at this time I was contemplating a new scoring record for Iowa. Look what the horrific year yielded.

Reactions: el dub
It seems pretty clear that RBY is no better than 50/50 to come back to PSU as of this time. His question to PSU fans — and I think by reasonable extension to others — about how a 3rd title sounds like fishing for NIL. What additional amount he’d need from a source outside PSU to return to a different team isn’t clear. He may be in a position to have “true” NIL that’s independent of school affiliation, at least more so than many other wrestlers, so how that figures in makes it a little different.

@IAChief32, you hearing anything?
for RBY IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT THE MONEY. why he took no additional recruiting trips after he was warn not to by ps.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUer1989
for RBY IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT THE MONEY. why he took no additional recruiting trips after he was warn not to by ps.
The top teams in college wrestling will continue to separate from the pack. Between NIL/RTCs... there will be a huge gap after the top 5/6.

Fortunately, Iowa has the resources going forward and a huge credit goes to the Hawk boosters that make it happen.

How does it seem clear he's 50/50 to return? That doesn't seem clear to me at all. I'd assume he's back until proven otherwise.
In an interview or two since the national tourney his future has been brought up as though his college days are over and FS would be main focus thru 2024 and he never really shot it down.

there will be a huge gap after the top 5/6.
So what's new?

There is already a significant gap between the top 4/5 and the rest, isn't there?

What's your thinking? Only each of top 6 will become de facto all star teams thru annual use of NIL along with the transfer portal?

Why can't Nebraska rise due to Buffett $, Oregon reinstate wrestling and rise with Phil Knight $, and Maryland rise with Kevin Plank $?

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
So what's new?

There is already a significant gap between the top 4/5 and the rest, isn't there?

What's your thinking? Only each of top 6 will become de facto all star teams thru annual use of NIL along with the transfer portal?

Why can't Oklahoma rise due to Buffett $, Oregon reinstate wrestling and rise with Phil Knight $, and Maryland rise with Kevin Plank $?
Nebraska is Buffett money guy

So what's new?

Why can't Nebraska rise due to Buffett $, Oregon reinstate wrestling and rise with Phil Knight $, and Maryland rise with Kevin Plank $?
The only exception I think will be a program like Okie State that, although a storied program, seems to be struggling on the mat.

I keep thinking guys like Popilizio or Branch are waiting to take over, but the longer Smith stays, the less likely either one will wait. I don't see NIL helping the Cowboys since T Boone died and I'm not sure any supporter has replaced Pickens.

But I guess we agree the gap is widening?

giphy.gif
Both are wrong, it's turkey season.😉

I could for sure see him on the Suriano plan...take the next semester off and sign up for the second semester. Doubt he would go full "have gun will travel." The $$ would have to be real good.

One factor in PSU going hard on transfers before/during this past season is the perception was they needed to do it to win. That won't be as big of a factor this year, not that they wouldn't love to have RBY of course.

Well, at least we are all on record that it’s despicable when Karl recruits over a top end talent. And when he buys a transfer using slush fund money, it kills the sport. Where’s the money coming from to buy Woods’ services?
It’s an arms race. Kansas Jayhawks benefited big time from new transfer rules and they won it all. Same w PSU. Same w Iowa. Paid off for MI wrestling this year also. College sports is pro sports bc rules had to change cause NCAA couldn’t/wouldn’t crack down on those doing it, I’ll leave it up to you to name that wrestling program.

One onboard. Two more transfers on the way, hopefully.
"Two more on the way, hopefully."..as in We have a NEED for two more....or we are entertaining two more perspective transfers ?? This statement has me wondering ???

So what's new?

Because those rich people don't give sh*t about wrestling.

Saw about a dozen yesterday while driving; were a ways out but all looked like hens.

just got my first compound bow - completely new to it, but looking forward to taking some deer with it.. maybe turkeys too someday.
Practice a lot before you go out and wound a bunch of deer. Whole different ballgame shooting at an animal with a bow. Fun and challenging way to hunt though! Good luck

ADVERTISEMENT