ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic ask - someone else call plays

CuttyDoesIt

HR Heisman
Dec 25, 2012
We know Kirk isn't firing Brian during the season, but is it really that much to ask to try a different play caller.

if Matt Nagy , as the head coach of the bears , can give up play calling last year Brian ferentz can as well.

Are we really running the wrong plays or do we just not have talented enough players to succeed with them?

I think the latter.
This. Any play called requires execution. Whichever QB they trot out there still has to play behind a weak OL. Calling different plays the offense is not used to might make things worse as impossible as that sounds.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
This. Any play called requires execution. Whichever QB they trot out there still has to play behind a weak OL. Calling different plays the offense is not used to might make things worse as impossible as that sounds.
Doesn’t matter if it’s the play calling, the players, or both. Brian is responsible for the offense. This is year 6. He should have his players built for his system. Instead we are left with a historically smelly pile of dog shit. His ass needs to fired immediately. And if the old man won’t do it, then it’s time for him to go too.

I’m watching a pro game where the QB has the plays on the wrist thing. If our offense is so complicated why don’t we do this instead of counting on a new QB to be in the system for 3 years before he can learn it and that sure hasn’t worked out well at all

We know Kirk isn't firing Brian during the season, but is it really that much to ask to try a different play caller.

if Matt Nagy , as the head coach of the bears , can give up play calling last year Brian ferentz can as well.
I don't know if there is anyone currently on this staff capable of being the OC. The best way that KF could save BF ( not that I care,just fire him)would be to make Barnett the sacrificial goat. Fire him,blame him for the offensive ineptude and say the best way to fix it is too have BF be the oline full time and relieve him of OC duties. Temp hire KOK to serve the rest of the season. Offseason find BF a gig somewhere else in the NFL or leave him on oline.Find a real OC for the rest of KF time here and leave him alone.

Reactions: CuttyDoesIt
I’m watching a pro game where the QB has the plays on the wrist thing. If our offense is so complicated why don’t we do this instead of counting on a new QB to be in the system for 3 years before he can learn it and that sure hasn’t worked out well at all
We should get the calls in from the sideline like most teams do in college. The lineman all peek over to the sideline. Why we continue to do as we have is stupid. Our QBs aren't playing in the NFL,why act like they will.

Serious question: what has changed, vis-a-vis BF, from 2019/2020 to now? What suddenly changed about Brian. Kirk, or anyone else, from the team that put up 49 on U$C?

Are we really running the wrong plays or do we just not have talented enough players to succeed with them?

I think the latter.
There's no doubt that the offense is short on talent, but there's a lot that could be done. I posted the following thoughts in another thread.

Personnel:
1. Petras is done. I don't care how he practices, I've seen enough of him on Saturdays. Either he isn't any good or he's broken. There is no upside. If Padilla isn't bought in to play beyond this season, move on to Labas and/or May.
2. End the Colby experiment at RT. Plumb isn't good, but Colby can't block anyone in pass pro.

Running Game:
3. Get Jones to snap the ball on time. That shouldn't be difficult.
4. All but eliminate lateral rushes. This OL can't maintain blocks. Reverses and lateral runs lose yardage more often than they gain 4+. Fortunately, we've run enough of those types of plays that fakes could still be good occasionally for misdirection and play action.
5. Get out from under center more often. You can still run downhill from the gun, and it will help the passing game. You can also put a defensive player in conflict with even a reasonably mobile QB.

Passing Game: Our QBs lock on early and don't go through progressions. That's due a combination of failure of coaching to teach progressions and the fact that they rarely have time before the pass rush gets home.
6. Once again, get out from under center. 5-step drops from under center with an OL that doesn't block well are idiotic. If there is no essential purpose to being under center, give the QB the advantage of better vision and more time.
7. Install choice routes. Based on the alignment of the defense and the response of the coverage, receivers modify their routes. The QB can make a pre-snap read regarding which defensive player(s) will be in conflict. They likely know before the snap where they will go with the ball, but it may not be their favorite receiver. It would reduce the tendency to lock on to the favorite receiver and throw into the open space in the defense.
8. RPO the safeties that are flying downhill to the LOS on the snap. It doesn't take much to slow them down.
9. Padilla (and everyone else) is more mobile than Petras. Practice the scramble drill. Brecht seemed lost when Padilla scrambled his direction.

All of these are things that an old freshman coach would do next week if his offense ever performed this poorly. I don't think it's too much to ask from a P5 OC and his staff.

Is Budmyar on the type of contract where he can call plays. Ex qb, ex OC I believe but a lot of the problem we have is our scheme and player quality.

We have really good running backs and tight ends but not much else. I think with better pass blocking our WRs could get more open on their routes but do we have the QBs?

This. Any play called requires talent and execution. Whichever QB they trot out there still has to play behind a weak OL. Calling different plays the offense is not used to might make things worse as impossible as that sounds.
One small change ....

Serious question: what has changed, vis-a-vis BF, from 2019/2020 to now? What suddenly changed about Brian. Kirk, or anyone else, from the team that put up 49 on U$C?
For one thing - talent.

Nate Stanley was pretty dam good. QBR in the 130's for his career. ISM and Brandon Smith much better than the Hawks have now. Goodson and Sargent. Tristan Wirfs, Alaric Jackson, Ty-Bomb,

The talent is not there on this team.

2019 offense was still bad, when comparing to the rest of college football. It just wasn't historically BAD.

We complained about KOK.... But BF couldn't hold KOKs jock.

Fire Brian and let the QB coach call plays...
Wait...

krule-john-c-reilly.gif

There's no doubt that the offense is short on talent, but there's a lot that could be done. I posted the following thoughts in another thread.

Personnel:
1. Petras is done. I don't care how he practices, I've seen enough of him on Saturdays. Either he isn't any good or he's broken. There is no upside. If Padilla isn't bought in to play beyond this season, move on to Labas and/or May.
2. End the Colby experiment at RT. Plumb isn't good, but Colby can't block anyone in pass pro.

Running Game:
3. Get Jones to snap the ball on time. That shouldn't be difficult.
4. All but eliminate lateral rushes. This OL can't maintain blocks. Reverses and lateral runs lose yardage more often than they gain 4+. Fortunately, we've run enough of those types of plays that fakes could still be good occasionally for misdirection and play action.
5. Get out from under center more often. You can still run downhill from the gun, and it will help the passing game. You can also put a defensive player in conflict with even a reasonably mobile QB.

Passing Game: Our QBs lock on early and don't go through progressions. That's due a combination of failure of coaching to teach progressions and the fact that they rarely have time before the pass rush gets home.
6. Once again, get out from under center. 5-step drops from under center with an OL that doesn't block well are idiotic. If there is no essential purpose to being under center, give the QB the advantage of better vision and more time.
7. Install choice routes. Based on the alignment of the defense and the response of the coverage, receivers modify their routes. The QB can make a pre-snap read regarding which defensive player(s) will be in conflict. They likely know before the snap where they will go with the ball, but it may not be their favorite receiver. It would reduce the tendency to lock on to the favorite receiver and throw into the open space in the defense.
8. RPO the safeties that are flying downhill to the LOS on the snap. It doesn't take much to slow them down.
9. Padilla (and everyone else) is more mobile than Petras. Practice the scramble drill. Brecht seemed lost when Padilla scrambled his direction.

All of these are things that an old freshman coach would do next week if his offense ever performed this poorly. I don't think it's too much to ask from a P5 OC and his staff.

I think the color commentary guy also asked why Padilla was taking snaps under center given Iowa was behind in the score board. Iowa can't run the ball effectively on 1st down so the normal play action stuff doesn't really work very well.. Padilla is so short, I doubt he can see much under center so shotgun makes sense. The offense should be tailored to make use of Padillo's better mobility and his ability to get the ball out quicker than Petras. Iowa sort of needs to be like Iowa under KOK in 2004 when they did't have a run game...except Padillo is not as good as drew Tate at QB and there is no Clint Solomon type WR on the team.

All this presumes Iowa will move on from Petra...which given KF does what he wants, is probably not happening.

We've had 3 different OC's under KF -the offense had very little schematic change if at all. KF has HIS playbook (all 1.5 pages of it) and will not alter it.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Kirk’s pride is far too great to allow him to crawl into Van Allen Hall and admit to any of the physicists there that his boy just isn’t getting it, and needs some help with this complex, theoretical, cutting-edge offense.

WUW Tyler Kluver even stated when you have a line that can't run block or pass block it makes calling any kind of plays very hard. This is bar non the worst OL Kirk has had. And Brian isn't saying who starts at QB, that is totally and 100% Kirk.

Play calling is down the list of needed changes.
1) Our OL is horrible
2) QB play…we all know about that
3) Receivers, we are not getting separation nor hitting the soft zones
Execution is where we are failing with this current team and different play calling won’t solve it. Yes, I would also like to see a different updated scheme as well but we are deep into the season. Normally, our past teams have “developed” as the season progresses but not this year.
Our developmental program has been non existent the last 2 years on the offensive side.
I am holding out hope that BF falls on the sword and takes a job somewhere else because his father won’t pull the trigger.

But, again, 2020 was a decent year offensively.
2020 was the Covid year and is nearly irrelevant from any sort of analysis standpoint. Look no further than ISU. They made the B12 title game. Got a BCS bid they didn’t really deserve against team team that deserved to be there even less. Brought back virtually that entire team and were barely mediocre in 2021.

Petras was also not very good in 2020 and managed to regress from there. Combine that with teams having an additional 2 years to scout/prepare against him. I would have to imagine Iowa scout week the last couple of years has been the easiest week of the season for most opposing DCs.

ADVERTISEMENT