ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic Expectations for Petras

Bryzzo

Team MVP
Aug 31, 2016
Assuming that there is a season, what would be realistic stat expectation for Petras in a 10 game Big 10 Season?

My guess:

2,400 yards passing, 58-60% Completion percentage, 18-20 TD's

Reactions: ichawk24
Heisman Trophy Winner

60,000 yards passing, 20,000 yards rushing, 18,000 receiving yards, 278 total TD’s, 900,000 pancake blocks, 1,000,000 tackles, 500 sacks, 300 interceptions, 3000-3000 on field goals, average of 90 yards on punts. He proceeds to bring home every trophy you can and takes Iowa to the national title game where they promptly win 900-0. Seems realistic lol.
In all honesty I see about 2000-2500 yards passing and about 23 TD’s to like 5 picks.

Last edited:
There are no realistic expectations for somebody with no history.
Agreed. He has played very little so it is nearly impossible to even take a guess what his stats might be. Spencer will have a good supporting cast around him so all he has to do is manage the game and minimize mistakes.

Agreed. He has played very little so it is nearly impossible to even take a guess what his stats might be. Spencer will have a good supporting cast around him so all he has to do is manage the game and minimize mistakes.
I disagree with the bolded. That mentality is part of limited our success against better competition. What we need at the QB position is a better ability to improvise, and better decision making. That would more than overcome a few mistakes.

60,000 yards passing, 20,000 yards rushing, 18,000 receiving yards, 278 total TD’s, 900,000 pancake blocks, 1,000,000 tackles, 500 sacks, 300 interceptions, 300-3000 on field goals, average of 90 yards on punts. He proceeds to bring home every trophy you can and takes Iowa to the national title game where they promptly win 900-0. Seems realistic lol.
In all honesty I see about 2000-2500 yards passing and about 23 TD’s to like 5 picks.
Only 300 out of 3000 on field goals? He sucks.

Assuming that there is a season, what would be realistic stat expectation for Petras in a 10 game Big 10 Season?

My guess:

2,400 yards passing, 58-60% Completion percentage, 18-20 TD's

Anecdotally (and not anecdotally) first year starters at Iowa usually perform better than expected.

Reactions: 1inamillion
I disagree with the bolded. That mentality is part of limited our success against better competition. What we need at the QB position is a better ability to improvise, and better decision making. That would more than overcome a few mistakes.
If Nate is more accurate on 7 or 8 passes Iowa loses 1 game the last 2 years.
I don't know if id blame his decision making or improv anymore than the accuracy.

Not in 18 years could a case be made that a first year starting Iowa QB has a better supporting cast. All he has to do is be pretty good and watch the accolades start piling up!

Bingo!! All the elements are in place for this offense. Petras is the only unknown but obviously talented. We need to get the running game going but I think we set the run up with the pass.

The two main worries are do we play this year and the brutal schedule. I should mention, will there be a fallout from the in house problems?

5000 yards, 40 Tds 2 Ints. Heisman Trophy.

But in reality I am guessing with an 10 game schedule I think 2500 yards will be right and I would say 20 TDs. 6 Ints.

Not in 18 years could a case be made that a first year starting Iowa QB has a better supporting cast. All he has to do is be pretty good and watch the accolades start piling up!
This. Should be a solid offensive line so they should be ahead of the sticks on 2nd and 3rd down, and play action passing game should be set up nicely. Hand the ball to Goodson and make low risk throws to a great set of receivers. ISM and Tracy should pile up the YAC and be pieces of the running game and play action with jet sweeps and reverses. What gives the offense so much potential is that they can use ISM and Tracy like that and STILL have great downfield threats in Smith, Ragaini, and LaPorta, or Goodson swinging the other way out of the backfield. It would be fun putting together play packages with this bunch of athletes.

If Petras is at least good enough at reading to get out of bad plays it will be good. If he's good enough to recognize and check into the right play when he gets a specific look, the offense will be great.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
This. Should be a solid offensive line so they should be ahead of the sticks on 2nd and 3rd down, and play action passing game should be set up nicely. Hand the ball to Goodson and make low risk throws to a great set of receivers. ISM and Tracy should pile up the YAC and be pieces of the running game and play action with jet sweeps and reverses. What gives the offense so much potential is that they can use ISM and Tracy like that and STILL have great downfield threats in Smith, Ragaini, and LaPorta, or Goodson swinging the other way out of the backfield. It would be fun putting together play packages with this bunch of athletes.

If Petras is at least good enough at reading to get out of bad plays it will be good. If he's good enough to recognize and check into the right play when he gets a specific look, the offense will be great.

Exactly. With the oline, there are lots of starts and experience in 4 spots and in the case of Linderbaum, a f*** ton of proven talent that makes the “experts” look foolish for not ranking him a 5 star at center.

Then this could be the best group of receivers we’ve had in 40 years. Think about it, Chuck Long threw to Quinn Early, Robert Smith, and Bill Happel. Matt Sherman had Tim Dwight, but the other receivers were Demo Odems, Ricchard Carter, and Tony Collins. Brad Banks had CJ Jones and Mo Brown, to a lesser extent freshmen Ed Hinkel and Clinton Solomon. Then Stanzi had DJK and McNutt, but the supporting cast was Colin Sandeman and Trey Stross. For real, ISM, Smith, and Ragaini compare favorably with all those receiving corps, and we haven’t even gotten into Oliver Martin, Desmond Hutson, and Charlie Jones.

At running back, Sargent is a proven back that can get the 3 or 4 yards and Goodson has proven to have game breaking talent. He’s on Athlon and Lindy’s all Big Ten teams already. And bookmark this post... if we have a season, I think a healthy Ivory Kelly Martin is going to make some noise. I truly do.

So can Petras be Kyle McCann? Can he be Nathan Chandler? Can he be James Vandenberg? If he can just get the ball into the hands of the guys I mentioned, he’s not going to have to be Drew Tate, Stanzi, Long, or Brad Banks. But if he’s got a little something extra in him like that second set of guys, watch out Big Ten.

Having no fans in the stands will be an incredible advantage for a 1st year quarterback. The ability to check into and out of plays without crowd noise will make his job much easier.
Agree, easier to check run right, to run left.

Exactly. With the oline, there are lots of starts and experience in 4 spots and in the case of Linderbaum, a f*** ton of proven talent that makes the “experts” look foolish for not ranking him a 5 star at center.

Hard for a DT to be a five-star center ;)
Our coaches didn't even have him at center when he came to Iowa City....

Reactions: mariner67

Then this could be the best group of receivers we’ve had in 40 years. Think about it, Chuck Long threw to Quinn Early, Robert Smith, and Bill Happel. Matt Sherman had Tim Dwight, but the other receivers were Demo Odems, Ricchard Carter, and Tony Collins. Brad Banks had CJ Jones and Mo Brown, to a lesser extent freshmen Ed Hinkel and Clinton Solomon. Then Stanzi had DJK and McNutt, but the supporting cast was Colin Sandeman and Trey Stross. For real, ISM, Smith, and Ragaini compare favorably with all those receiving corps, and we haven’t even gotten into Oliver Martin, Desmond Hutson, and Charlie Jones.

At running back, Sargent is a proven back that can get the 3 or 4 yards and Goodson has proven to have game breaking talent. He’s on Athlon and Lindy’s all Big Ten teams already. And bookmark this post... if we have a season, I think a healthy Ivory Kelly Martin is going to make some noise. I truly do.

So can Petras be Kyle McCann? Can he be Nathan Chandler? Can he be James Vandenberg? If he can just get the ball into the hands of the guys I mentioned, he’s not going to have to be Drew Tate, Stanzi, Long, or Brad Banks. But if he’s got a little something extra in him like that second set of guys, watch out Big Ten.

Agree with this. And don't forget about Tyrone Tracy!

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Agree with this. And don't forget about Tyrone Tracy!

I can’t believe I did! If he gets the drops under control, em he could be an all time great. He had a couple drops at Nebraska last year where if he makes the catch, we cruise to a comfortable win. He’s so close.

Gavin Williams will add something to the offense. He’s just so goddamn fast and actually a rather complete back with good size. I think a combo of Goodson Mekhi and Williams could be deadly. The oline should be the best its been in 4 years. Interior line is finally solidified

Having no fans in the stands will be an incredible advantage for a 1st year quarterback. The ability to check into and out of plays without crowd noise will make his job much easier.
Will the band be in the stands? How much crowd noise will be piped in?

Gavin Williams will add something to the offense. He’s just so goddamn fast and actually a rather complete back with good size. I think a combo of Goodson Mekhi and Williams could be deadly. The oline should be the best its been in 4 years. Interior line is finally solidified
Unless both Goodson and Sargent are injured, Williams will redshirt.

Reactions: David1979
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT