ADVERTISEMENT

Reality - hawks had a chance to make a game of it besides some poor play; so go get some wins

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Iowa could have played a lot better and made mistakes on both sides of the ball. They were on the comeback against the #4 team.

But they still had a chance to make it 20-14 Mich in the 4th qtr.. The hawk defense didnt play particularly well on Mich's first drive of each half which led to TDs. Iowa's offense didnt get a pulse until the 2nd half.

Those two things, Kirk and Brian not giving some help to the right side pass blocking, and some very bad officiating were the difference in this game. So I still think Iowa can WIN all or most of their remaining games.

Lachey is coming on, Ragaini looks better, KalebJ (without his big run being wiped out) and LeshonW were averaging about 4.5 yards per carry. Terry Roberts back at corner and DeJean at CASH will be good.

First thing is beat the Illini.

This will go down as the biggest "what if" season to date in my Iowa Fandom. (Born 85) I will go to my death bed saying this defense is the best defense, top to bottom including subs, of any iowa defense I have ever watched, and they are going to struggle to get to 6 wins.

Iowa could have played a lot better and made mistakes on both sides of the ball. They were on the comeback against the #4 team.

But they still had a chance to make it 20-14 Mich in the 4th qtr.. The hawk defense didnt play particularly well on Mich's first drive of each half which led to TDs. Iowa's offense didnt get a pulse until the 2nd half.

Those two things, Kirk and Brian not giving some help to the right side pass blocking, and some very bad officiating were the difference in this game. So I still think Iowa can WIN all or most of their remaining games.

Lachey is coming on, Ragaini looks better, KalebJ (without his big run being wiped out) and LeshonW were averaging about 4.5 yards per carry. Terry Roberts back at corner and DeJean at CASH will be good.

First thing is beat the Illini.
Ok.

This will go down as the biggest "what if" season to date in my Iowa Fandom. (Born 85) I will go to my death bed saying this defense is the best defense, top to bottom including subs, of any iowa defense I have ever watched, and they are going to struggle to get to 6 wins.

I agree. The only thing that could make this defense way better is Desmond King and Josh Jackson, or equivalent, at the corners. Moss and Roberts etc are really good but not totally shut down corners.

I was born in 1951 and was just learning football when the hawks went to their first rose bowl and I was all in from there on. I watched but mostly listened during those lean 20 years of the 60's and 70's. Saw Bob Commings almost get over the losing seasons. But now the hawks have a top program and like you said struggling to get to 6 wins with these players is a real hit to the gut.

But I think they can still win 7 or 8.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
This is not the best defense in the KF era, 2004, 2009, and 2019 all had better defenses.

I wouldn't say this is the best defense Iowa has had. Honestly Michigan manhandled them and pushed them around all over the field the first half, and pretty much did what they wanted offensively. They ran at will, and the defensive line had absolutely no push at all. Harbaugh took the air out of his offense in the second half it seems. Is the defense good? Yes. Elite? No.

I wouldn't say this is the best defense Iowa has had. Honestly Michigan manhandled them and pushed them around all over the field the first half, and pretty much did what they wanted offensively. They ran at will, and the defensive line had absolutely no push at all. Harbaugh took the air out of his offense in the second half it seems. Is the defense good? Yes. Elite? No.
Iowa's vaunted Defense gave up a 99 yard drive to lose the ISU game and gave up a 75 yard drive to start the Michigan game when we had to start strong. This defense is very salty but far from the best.

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
Iowa's vaunted Defense gave up a 99 yard drive to lose the ISU game and gave up a 75 yard drive to start the Michigan game when we had to start strong. This defense is very salty but far from the best.
Our defense is battling it out for positional rankings with Georgia, Alabama, and Michigan. Our offense is battling it out for last place in the country with New Mexico and Colorado State. Blaming any loss on the defense is laughable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT