ADVERTISEMENT

really cool experiences through a job

During my years as a carpenter, I was sent up to War Road Minnesota to visit and tour the Marvin Window factory.

We flew out of the Davenport Municipal Airport on a little 4 seat plane. Partway through the flight, the pilot had me hold the yoke for about 5 minutes while he fidgeted with something. When he took back over he told me I was now allowed to tell people I've flown a plane.

What is something really awesome that you were able to do through a past or current job?

Could be part of building a historic building or structure. Perhaps it gave you the ability to travel to an awesome country. Maybe you were part of discovering of a medical cure.
Run out of the tunnel at AT&T and various SEC stadiums packed to capacity with screaming fans. Talk with hundreds of NFL, NCAA players and coaches on a meaningful level. Sit in an SEC war room every day and especially on national signing day. Hang out and open for many famous comedians including the likes of Dave Chapelle, Brian Regan, Gilbert Gottfried, Louie Anderson, JJ Walker and Michael Winslow and others. Drink beer with legends. Typical shit.

What is something really awesome that you were able to do through a past or current job?

Could be part of building a historic building or structure. Perhaps it gave you the ability to travel to an awesome country. Maybe you were part of discovering of a medical cure.
I have a few. I was able to make the opening title sequence for a Ron Howard film. I was part of a small team that made a Bon Jovi music video. I met Craig Robinson on a shoot. I created a 65' x 15' video wall piece for the artist Robert Wilson, not that anyone on this board will know who that is. Most recently, I made many of the animated graphics for NBC/MSNBC's election night graphics, including the one announcing Biden as the next President Elect, which you can see here. I worked with Laurie Anderson soon after finishing my masters. During the interview, I asked her why she had a 8 x 10 of Lou Reed in her library, not knowing that Lou was her husband.

Last edited:
I don’t know if it’s cool or interesting, but I get to handle a lot of huge catastrophic incidents like fires, explosions and collapses. And occasionally I’ll handle a loss with a celebrity or athlete. Right now I have a fire at Beyoncé’s home in NOLA and a water loss at Craig Biggio’s home.

Because of past jobs:
  • I've been to 21 of 30 MLB ballparks (although the longer I go, the more they've been replaced by newer parks)
  • I've been to Melbourne, AUS for 2 weeks (which included seeing a big Australian Rules Football game, and a trip to Bells Beach - where Bodhi was headed in Point Break)
  • I've been to Delhi, India for 2 weeks (which included a weekend trip to see the Taj Mahal, Red Fort, Palace of the Winds, etc)
  • I've been to Keystone in CO for a weekend of snowmobiling and snowtubing
  • I' got to go to Cheyenne Frontier Days - the world's largest outdoor rodeo
  • I got to go to Indianapolis Motor Speedway and do the lap around the track in the bus, and then went to the Indiana State Fair for lunch
  • I've been to Toronto half a dozen times, and got to go up to the top of the CN Tower
  • I got my first trip to NYC for training, and several since then
  • I got a free trip to Disney World for me and the family (related to a training event I had there)
  • I was in SF for a big Chinese New Year and got to be at the parade, which was a lot of fun
  • I got to go down and stay in Key West for three weeks - did some fishing, and lots of staring at the water while having frosty beverages
  • I got to live in SoCal for three months - including staying the weekends at a hotel in Santa Monica on the beach. I once got to participate in, and win, a tug-of-war contest between matches at the Manhattan Beach Open volleyball tournament
  • I got to live in Arizona for another three months - that got me a side trip to Flagstaff then to the Grand Canyon where we got to fly around over the canyon in a tiny little plane, which was very cool
I think that stuff was all pretty cool.

Being in office supplies and furniture isn't glamorous by any means but it does allow you access to tons of cool places. I've gotten to tour San Quentin Prison, Lucas Ranch, Pixar, pretty much every Winery in Napa. Facebook, Twitter, Gap, Pacific Gas & Electric, City Hall San Francisco, FBI, CIA (Cullinary Institute of America) SF ZOO. Been in every office building in San Francisco, Toured the Giants and Niners stadiums and offices. The perks were great as well, as I became friends with people at these companies I was able to get backstage into many event's for friends and family.

Been in pretty much every large companies CEO's office in Des Moines, Principal, Kum & Go, Hy-Vee EMC. Mid American Energy Secure Bunker.

Same with Omaha TD Ameritrade, Union Pacific, Conagra. Stratcom, Omaha Zoo. Huskers Athletic Dept. Ugh...

While in college, I worked for the Gazette and got free Iowa football and basketball tickets. Then I was the frozen lemonade vendor so I got paid to watch the 2001 turn-around season under Ferentz. Current job allows me to get paid to go to a convention in a different large Midwestern city every 5-10 years. Minneapolis and Chicago so far. I also have cheap study abroad opportunities, but I’ve never taken any up.

I don’t know if it’s cool or interesting, but I get to handle a lot of huge catastrophic incidents like fires, explosions and collapses. And occasionally I’ll handle a loss with a celebrity or athlete. Right now I have a fire at Beyoncé’s home in NOLA and a water loss at Craig Biggio’s home.
ServiceMaster?

I've gotten to talk to a couple famous people over the phone through the years at my job. A fun little perk that happens every now and then.

Traveled the north eastern part of the British countryside. Then duck in and out of pubs in York, UK while the England national team was playing in the semi finals of the World Cup in ‘18.

Pretty neat, but I dislike English cuisine.

Reactions: QChawks
Built a particle detector for/in Fermilab just outside Chicago over a summer and Christmas. Saw every band on tour known to man during the summer... cool beans for a sheltered kid from Key West.

Also, was in Nice for the Cannes Film Festival and Monaco for the Formula 1 race while over there on a couple work trips.

Other than standing on a ship carrying tanks and helicopters a couple times, nothing very cool.

However, a few years ago I had to travel to Poland several times. Then, my son got stationed in Poland for a year. As it happens, he was about a four hour drive from Vilnius Lithuania, where my wife’s family is from and where she has always wanted to visit. Because I was familiar with Poland I felt comfortable brining my daughter, my wife, and her three sisters to Poland, where we rented a Ford Transit 9-passenger van. I was able to show them some around, have dinner with locals in Poland who I knew through work, then drive to Vilnius where we had an amazing time and met some of Mrs Radley’s distant relatives.

So my job enabled a very cool thing.

Reactions: swagsurfer02
I got to go on a trip with customers where we salmon fished up in British Columbia. Had to helicopter in to the resort and then the pilots would fly you all over to fish in various spots. If we stopped catching in one area we’d hop in the helicopter and find another place to hit. One day for lunch we ate while situated on a glacier. The scenery, the fishing and the entire experience were unlike anything I will ever do again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT