ADVERTISEMENT

Really hope Gholston and Van Valkenburg come back for another year

I think I remember that now.
I loved his HS tape and knew he would make a great hawk so I was really bummed when it happened, especially after he started picking up more interesting while at IWCC, but glad he stuck with the good guys

Reactions: BioHawk
Not sure what Gholston's measurables and how PFF's rankings translate to what NFL scouts think but PFF has him ranked 27th among edge rushers. Assuming some of those ranked higher come back, probably puts him around top 20. That's good for 3rd/4th round. Nixon is ranked 22nd fwiw.

I loved his HS tape and knew he would make a great hawk so I was really bummed when it happened, especially after he started picking up more interesting while at IWCC, but glad he stuck with the good guys
Actually his grades were ok eventually. The NCAA cleared him after he was at IWCC for a few weeks, but he was already a student there. The NCAA really drug out the clearance. I think he had to make up classes during the summer and did so.

I'm sure Smith and ISM want to come back so Petras can throw 100 mph fastballs at their ankles.
I could see one or both transferring. Grad transfer to a school with a half decent QB... that would help their draft potential more than anything.

Surprising that nobody is mentioning a scenario that may apply to several players. If I were a senior and could come back next year and was wanted enough by Iowa to keep my scholarship but had strong doubts about a NFL future, I would grab another free year of college to get an MBA or other advanced degree.
This has certainly been alluded to by other posters. For some I could see this possibly, but a lot of these guys, (yes even at Iowa) are here playing football and while they may get a degree in whatever, that doesn't mean their wanting to put in the work for a masters if their field even offers one. its just as likely if they're better players they may try to grad transfer eleswhere, so......

Don't forget Waggoner. I think there is a good chance Van Valkenberg and Heflin come back, but I think Golston and Nixon will be in the NFL'
Yep ... what's also nice is that Wags won't be losing a year of eligibility either.

I'd add that both Black and Lee are young D-linemen who will both likely be guys to develop into really good players for us too (don't know when ... but I'm pretty certain it will happen).

Also, Lorbeck is a transfer who has D1 starts under his belt too ... so he, at least, adds depth too.

Should the Hawks manage to retain just a few of the older guys ... we're then looking at a DL who has the potential to be a pretty decent group.

I am guessing not many guys come back, although it would be nice. Only way I can see guys coming back is if they didn't get to play much this year due to injuries, ala Cronk.

KCEast, if they grad transfer elsewhere they still have to continue to put in the grad school work wherever they go, correct? Not sure I understand what you are saying.

Don’t forget about Colbert. He will be starting next year over benson or Jacobs. Iowa will have good depth at the position next year.
Colbert will have to earn it. Benson will be tough to bet out. Nice problem to have.

The NCAA site is very confusing

First it says this

"Traditionally, a student-athlete has 5 years to play 4 years of their sport. An extra year means a current college student-athlete would have 6 years to play their 4 years. " - which would seem to say if you played in any of 4 years, then you're done.

Then it's just confusing, because aren't we really saying that instead of 5 to play 4, it's 6 to play 5 if this year just doesn't count?

The NCAA site is very confusing

First it says this

"Traditionally, a student-athlete has 5 years to play 4 years of their sport. An extra year means a current college student-athlete would have 6 years to play their 4 years. " - which would seem to say if you played in any of 4 years, then you're done.

Then it's just confusing, because aren't we really saying that instead of 5 to play 4, it's 6 to play 5 if this year just doesn't count?
Correct ... I'd agree that is confusing. It's not clear how they're considering this season. I would be under the impression that they're considering this as a year that doesn't count towards their eligibility at all. However, perhaps that interpretation is incorrect. I haven't parsed the documentation closely enough to discern what they really mean.

Don't forget about Waggoner. He has been injured/sick as of late but he has flashed when he was in this year and last.

Did I miss news on Nathan Nelson? I thought there were good things coming out regarding his development before being injured all last year, now he’s off the roster.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Yep ... what's also nice is that Wags won't be losing a year of eligibility either.

I'd add that both Black and Lee are young D-linemen who will both likely be guys to develop into really good players for us too (don't know when ... but I'm pretty certain it will happen).

Also, Lorbeck is a transfer who has D1 starts under his belt too ... so he, at least, adds depth too.

Should the Hawks manage to retain just a few of the older guys ... we're then looking at a DL who has the potential to be a pretty decent group.
Craig is another guy that you have to think will make an impact sooner or later.

Reactions: BBHawk
Craig is another guy that you have to think will make an impact sooner or later.
Yeah ... Craig could definitely make an impact in the future. I was just going more off of legit chatter that has been heard. Plenty of chatter has come out about Lee over the last year or so ... and obviously Ferentz's comments about Black being one of the most impressive campers we've had certainly was an exciting thing to read (and further validated by the fact that Bell has given him game reps).

I'm also excited about Bruce and Jones too ... but we'll have to wait until we hear chatter about those guys too!

Yeah ... Craig could definitely make an impact in the future. I was just going more off of legit chatter that has been heard. Plenty of chatter has come out about Lee over the last year or so ... and obviously Ferentz's comments about Black being one of the most impressive campers we've had certainly was an exciting thing to read (and further validated by the fact that Bell has given him game reps).

I'm also excited about Bruce and Jones too ... but we'll have to wait until we hear chatter about those guys too!
the cupboard is definitely not bare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT