ADVERTISEMENT

Really like the NBA return

KCEasthawk, you must mean like carrier hawks response?
I mentioned no one in particular for a reason. I'm fully aware this can go both ways. Just seems like there's VERY little tolerance here for anyone who has a differing view. This board would be pretty damn boring if everyone had the same thoughts on every issue. Some of the name calling and internet tough guy crap gets pretty out of hand and is uncalled for. Again just my 2cents...

I just love basketball. All basketball. I watch it from AAU 3rd graders right on up to the pros. For me high school and college ball is the best. But I like that the pros are that much better. I'd love to see them put in the 4 point shot like they did in the 3 on 3 league. I do wish they would stop with the kneeling though.

If you like ball movement, then you must have liked the TD/TP/MG Spurs.

And the Warriors to be honest.

I've watched some old games during the quarantine. I think people's memories of 80's basketball is a lot more rosy than the actual product. The 80s Pistons teams especially are just hooligans. There might be too many threes now, but there were zero then, it's just guys driving into 4 guys standing under the hoop... it's honestly unwatchable in many ways.

Reactions: littlez
I'm not a big fan of the half court offense with so much one on one isolation and others standing around. But overall the games have been relatively entertaining. The athleticism on display is off the charts.

Really liked to see Portland actually double Harden all game long. Take the ball out of his hands and make someone else beat you. Not sure why nobody else ever does it, just let him totally control the game.

And the Warriors to be honest.

I've watched some old games during the quarantine. I think people's memories of 80's basketball is a lot more rosy than the actual product. The 80s Pistons teams especially are just hooligans. There might be too many threes now, but there were zero then, it's just guys driving into 4 guys standing under the hoop... it's honestly unwatchable in many ways.
You obviously never watched the Celtics or the Lakers, or for that matter the Sixers, from that period to make a statement like that. Yes, the Pistons were hard to watch and I didn't like that brand either. But for people to say those who liked the NBA in the 80's and don't in the current time as know nothings is just absurd. I simply happen to have an attention span a little bit longer than a fruit fly and don't need just scoring to feel good about watching a game.

Even though I was a Celtics fan in the 80's I certainly had respect for the Pistons. Their way of playing did become an eventual problem which lead to watching Eastern Conference game like the Knicks vs the Pistons and games being played in the 70's and 80's. The game became unwatchable. I prefer the way the game is officiated in the NBA vs College. The players know what they can and can't get away with and it's pretty much the same in every game you watch. Certainly makes it harder to play defense, but the hand-checking and hard fouls were killing the game. College is different as it seems each game what you see out of the refs is different. Some games they allow much more physical play and others they call it. Just my opinion.

Even though I was a Celtics fan in the 80's I certainly had respect for the Pistons. Their way of playing did become an eventual problem which lead to watching Eastern Conference game like the Knicks vs the Pistons and games being played in the 70's and 80's. The game became unwatchable. I prefer the way the game is officiated in the NBA vs College. The players know what they can and can't get away with and it's pretty much the same in every game you watch. Certainly makes it harder to play defense, but the hand-checking and hard fouls were killing the game. College is different as it seems each game what you see out of the refs is different. Some games they allow much more physical play and others they call it. Just my opinion.
I tend to agree with you - finally! But don't forget it wasn't that many years ago in the NBA that there was a real lack of scoring and in general, good shooting. Low scoring games wasn't just because of the Pistons and the Knicks. Both talented teams but primarily because of their willingness to play defense. I still believe the 86 Celtics were the best team ever. Five to six Hall of Famers? All-stars 7-8 deep.

You obviously never watched the Celtics or the Lakers, or for that matter the Sixers, from that period to make a statement like that. Yes, the Pistons were hard to watch and I didn't like that brand either. But for people to say those who liked the NBA in the 80's and don't in the current time as know nothings is just absurd. I simply happen to have an attention span a little bit longer than a fruit fly and don't need just scoring to feel good about watching a game.

My point was simply that it's a different game now, in some ways for the better.

In '88 a decent Rockets team shot 23% as a team from 3. They shot 291 3's on the season and only made 69 of them. The entire league shot a total of 9,421 3's and made 2,979.

in '19, Curry, Klay, and KD shot 1,797 and made 732. Pretty remarkable shift when you think about it.

My point was simply that it's a different game now, in some ways for the better.

In '88 a decent Rockets team shot 23% as a team from 3. They shot 291 3's on the season and only made 69 of them. The entire league shot a total of 9,421 3's and made 2,979.

in '19, Curry, Klay, and KD shot 1,797 and made 732. Pretty remarkable shift when you think about it.
I don't deny the deep shooting is better now. It just was not emphasized at the time. Do you not think Larry Bird would have gone bat sh$t crazy if the 3-point shot was more part of the game then? I would also venture to say passing and ball movement was better then than now. The game evolves, some for the better, some for the worse. I've gone from a huge NBA fan to not watching. It is all a matter of what you like.

In the NBA also, there is a definite disparity between how the stars are called for fouls vs the other players. So with the Rockets, if the 2 stars are handling the ball 80% of the time, they probably are benefitting from the lack of calls too. I think Giannis is the same way. The guy takes 3 steps every time he goes to the basket, but never gets called for traveling. Thats why when an announcer says 'oh, he's a rookie, he hasn't earned that call', its weird to me. You even notice it at the college level, but then its usually some coaches being favored over other coaches.

You realize the NBA's rules on traveling are different than the NCAA's, right?

I am ready for the playoffs to start but I hope the Clippers get everyone healthy and integrated back into the lineup because I want to see both Lakers and Clipps at full strength for their conference finals matchup.

Reactions: Jim4edwards
LeBron has not looked good since coming back. Now he's nursing a small injury. Lakers have a lot of holes. Maybe they are just on cruise control but I just don't like them to win the West. Chris Paul dominated that game yesterday. He looked like he was in the prime of his career.

LeBron has not looked good since coming back. Now he's nursing a small injury. Lakers have a lot of holes. Maybe they are just on cruise control but I just don't like them to win the West. Chris Paul dominated that game yesterday. He looked like he was in the prime of his career.

OKC has picked up right where they left off. Such a fun team to watch, and they go all out on D.

You’re a smart guy. Think you’re in the wrong thread. Go MAGA somewhere else idiot.

I am ready for the playoffs to start but I hope the Clippers get everyone healthy and integrated back into the lineup because I want to see both Lakers and Clipps at full strength for their conference finals matchup.
Don’t care for either LA team. I’ll take Denver or Utah from the west, they’re deserving teams. As for the East, Philadelphia would be OK.

Doncic had 36-14-19 last night. Possibly one of the best games ever. And he’s 21. It’s unreal how good he is.

Reactions: David1979
His range is just unbelievable. It’s crazy how good these guys are. And also crazy how bad the Lakers guards are.

Glad you could comment since you haven't watched since 2012. Thanks for contributing.

I honestly thought this thread was a clever sarcastic take on the failing NBA return. You guys are serious though!. I don't blame anyone for wanting to watch live sports. I can't get past the BLM bullcrap or the Chinese sweatshops underwriting the league.

Glad you could comment since you haven't watched since 2012. Thanks for contributing.
Reading is fundamental. Comprehension not so much. Nowhere did the poster state he hadn't watched a game since 2012. But hey, you go right ahead making those assumptions.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
But Hey, I’m sure you’re also a NBA sucks kind of guy as well. You are right. He didn’t say he hadn’t watched since 2012. Said the ratings are bad and he sees no reason to change it. Not sure why people jump in threads if they don’t care about it. But more power to you.

Being able to watch in the background during the second half of my work day has been great. It has been a great product so far imo.

I am also excited to see how the lottery shakes out tonight.. if the Bulls get pick 7 for the 4th year in a row I might cry

ADVERTISEMENT