ADVERTISEMENT

Really solid Rick Neuheisel commentary just now on ESPNU

HumbleP1e

HR All-American
Jan 11, 2003
Says essentially Kirk will get a second chance and should...not optimistic about Brian...

FWIW...

Says essentially Kirk will get a second chance and should...not optimistic about Brian...

FWIW...

If KF is smart he will try and use his connections and help Brian get a job somewhere else like an OL coaching gig in the NFL after this coming season. Because it is pretty clear the ship has sailed for him taking over for Kirk once he retires.

If KF is smart he will try and use his connections and help Brian get a job somewhere else like an OL coaching gig in the NFL after this coming season. Because it is pretty clear the ship has sailed for him taking over for Kirk once he retires.

Too early to draw any conclusions. Way too early.
KF is under contract through the 2025 season. That gives him 6 more years if he stays through the end of the contract ('20, '21, '22, '23, '24 and '25). That's a lot of time for the program to advance and for memories of this year to fade. If Iowa avoids further conflict, the program is successful, recruiting goes well and a new "atmosphere" is created, I think that BF could be in the mix. There is plenty of time for him to overcome what has been alleged against him.
Tougher road for him? Absolutely.
Ship sailed? Not yet.

Too early to draw any conclusions. Way too early.
KF is under contract through the 2025 season. That gives him 6 more years if he stays through the end of the contract ('20, '21, '22, '23, '24 and '25). That's a lot of time for the program to advance and for memories of this year to fade. If Iowa avoids further conflict, the program is successful, recruiting goes well and a new "atmosphere" is created, I think that BF could be in the mix. There is plenty of time for him to overcome what has been alleged against him.
Tougher road for him? Absolutely.
Ship sailed? Not yet.

I absolutely concur with you. BF is not damaged goods yet at this point in time, but changes will be necessary. I'm honestly pulling for him.

I absolutely concur with you. BF is not damaged goods yet at this point in time, but changes will be necessary. I'm honestly pulling for him.

Minor clarification . . . I very much think that BF is "damaged goods" right now. If KF said "that's it, I'm done," there is zero chance that BF gets the head coaching job. I would not have held the same opinion immediately following the Holiday Bowl. I would have said that BF was a "shoo in" to get the job.

"Damaged goods" does not equal "Beyond Repair." Fully agree with comment "changes will be necessary." And success. And time.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Obvious question: You going to be cheering for those libtards wearing black and gold on Saturdays this Fall? You going to be hoping that Duncan misses XP attempts or FG attempts since he backed the players on the team demanding change? You going to selectively root for only those players who fit your political criteria?

I've been a hawk fan all my life, knowing for a long time it's a liberal college, which most are because of the liberal professors preaching their garbage to young mushy minds. So to answer your question it's getting harder and harder to be a hawk fan. May just have to move to the other side, the cyclone side. I know a lot of you would miss me on here though if I did that.

Reactions: Hawkdogwoof
No one person or entity have all things right Al the time. No debate. You discredit yourself automatically if you day otherwise.

Never come close to saying that. There are worthless on both sides but at the moment the left is totally out of their gords and are responsible for what you are seeing take place today.

FWIW...
What is the worst thing bf has done?

I would agree he hasn't shown himself to be Kirk's successor....haven't heard anything worth firing though. Assuming he is kind of a dbag to all players(which he likely is lol)

Reactions: frydaze

I would agree he hasn't shown himself to be Kirk's successor....haven't heard anything worth firing though. Assuming he is kind of a dbag to all players(which he likely is lol)
No clue. I just posted what RN said.

I've been a hawk fan all my life, knowing for a long time it's a liberal college, which most are because of the liberal professors preaching their garbage to young mushy minds. So to answer your question it's getting harder and harder to be a hawk fan. May just have to move to the other side, the cyclone side. I know a lot of you would miss me on here though if I did that.

Here's a suggestion: https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=36961&teamID=9

I'm sure they'd love your support.

I have been a big BF critic since he took over at OC. I have come to respect his play calling ability and have seen serious growth in that area. He has a huge future as a coach. If Iowa does not hire him, I hope someone else does and he comes back to pound the Hawkeyes ass.

Reactions: Hans81
Sorry man, I think I need to take a break from this board
Dude, don't stress. I don't know you, but you are the last poster in this board I thought I'd disagree with. I usually enjoy your posts immensely.
Before this thread gets more derailed than it already is, could anyone give a summary of what Rick Neuheisel said?
Yeah. The portion I heard said KF is universally known as a good guy who cares about people, and having admitted that If there is a blind spot he'll fix it in accordance with his past examples, he deserves a shot. RN said Brian doesn't have that going for him and if the allegations are founded, he doesn't garnet the confidence to make changes that are necessary.

(My translation)

Yeah I think the big thing is he just comes across as an @ss. Like the incident against Minny when he chewed out the video replay guys in the booth. I don't think he is a racist but it does sound like a lot of the complaints are do to him just being kind of a jerk. I've always heard and it seems as to be true with these stories he comes across as smug and entitled ahole at times being Kirk's son.

Never come close to saying that. There are worthless on both sides but at the moment the left is totally out of their gords and are responsible for what you are seeing take place today.
I know you think that, but are you remembering why we're facing an extension of the pandemic that other regions aren't? It's honestly Republican leadership that opened everything up without enough restriction AND largely Republican people who "won't be made to wear a mask". I say that having voted multiple times as a republican, and for most of my life gravitating more to the right than the left. But, the current Republican situation is just beyond idiocy. Democrats are prone to lack of organizational clarity and too big of a government, but Republicans are phony and selfish.

We cannot survive with a society that ignores their group's inherent weaknesses and fails to work together for the whole.

Did you go to Iowa?

I have been a big BF critic since he took over at OC. I have come to respect his play calling ability and have seen serious growth in that area. He has a huge future as a coach. If Iowa does not hire him, I hope someone else does and he comes back to pound the Hawkeyes ass.

This is kind of my thought as well. He struggled a little early on but feel like the last year he was great at tendencies and putting the best groupings on the field for success. You can see it in recruiting also right now on the skill position. I would hate for him to have to leave under these circumstances only to come back and stick it to us.

This is kind of my thought as well. He struggled a little early on but feel like the last year he was great at tendencies and putting the best groupings on the field for success. You can see it in recruiting also right now on the skill position. I would hate for him to have to leave under these circumstances only to come back and stick it to us.
I agree, but I didn't want Doyle to leave either. Bottom line is you can no longer be a meathead of a motivational coach. It's about respect and dignity and relationship. Unfortunately, some people maybe thought they were above recognizing and making the change. It's one thing to be kidded by someone who you KNOW respects and loves you. You can accept any joke or comments from that guy because the relationship is above it. But, if you're just a dick to people, you can't anymore. People have an immediate voice online that offers immediate feedback. I had coaches who were insulting and deragatory toward me or others at times, but you just took it. That is the way it was years ago, but I am white, and generally have tried to do things as coaches would want, so I am a terrible voice for these aspects today. I think it could be very difficult when you're really good at something (Doyle, BF, etc.) to believe you need to change. For any aspiring coach the advice has to be love your players as if they are your own kids.

lots of coaches want to bring that into their locker room ?

NFL players might just kick the crap out of him.

roflmao. I don’t see it.

I could see FCS where everybody is just glad to have a chance.
Or Nebraska.

Stay put.

Reactions: nelly02
One additional Neuheisel comment I remember was RN believes there needs to be a separation between realwrongs done to players and players simply grinding an axe when judging coaches including KF. He specifically talked about Wadley as maybe one that seems hard to credit due to his success.

Again, not my words. I hope someone can find the audio.

I agree, but I didn't want Doyle to leave either. Bottom line is you can no longer be a meathead of a motivational coach. It's about respect and dignity and relationship. Unfortunately, some people maybe thought they were above recognizing and making the change. It's one thing to be kidded by someone who you KNOW respects and loves you. You can accept any joke or comments from that guy because the relationship is above it. But, if you're just a dick to people, you can't anymore. People have an immediate voice online that offers immediate feedback. I had coaches who were insulting and deragatory toward me or others at times, but you just took it. That is the way it was years ago, but I am white, and generally have tried to do things as coaches would want, so I am a terrible voice for these aspects today. I think it could be very difficult when you're really good at something (Doyle, BF, etc.) to believe you need to change. For any aspiring coach the advice has to be love your players as if they are your own kids.

Agree with all of this. I had coaches that knew how to hand you your ass on Monday then be a friend on Tuesday. Its a fine line that some people have a hard time with. Im guessing Doyle and Co. were old school with their tactics and it caught up to them. Problem is you also hear plenty of people saying they are the person they are today because of Doyle, BF ect.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
Football players today are testosterone filled beasts. Most coaches are former players, and as such are mostly testosterone filled beasts. It should be no surprise that coaches say things to players that you wouldn't say at a dinner party.

Where is the line? IDK. If a coach SAYS something to a player that hurts his feelings, I do not care. There are plenty of places to play football. If a coach DOES something that is racist, like playing white guys ahead of black guys or handing out punishment differently according to race, that it unacceptable.

The football field is not a board room. They don't use Robert's Rules, or Emily Post's.

Reactions: hexumhawk

FWIW...

First, we need to remember Neuheisel is a national guy, he's not right on the scene. I actually do, however, really respect his views and he was a head coach for many years on the college level.

I agree with what he said about both Kirk and Brian. Brian belongs in the NFL. Just too much stuff has cropped up surrounding his name through the years.

Scott Dochterman is on record saying that if Brian's last name weren't Ferentz he'd have been suspended at the same time as Doyle.

ADVERTISEMENT