ADVERTISEMENT

Recession on the horizon?

Herky T Hawk

HR Heisman
Feb 5, 2003
When we had two straight quarters of negative GDP growth earlier this year, which has been the textbook definition of a recession in the past. The Biden administration said that it wasn't a recession because of the low unemployment rate. In Q3 the GDP went back into positive territory. But now the layoffs and hiring freezes are coming in fast, especially big money white collar jobs at the large tech firms. Additionally there are starting to be layoffs in the shipping/transportation industry, usually a canary in the coal mine for the economy, as demand slows. Meanwhile the CPI seems to be falling while the interest rates are rising.

So, what says the MENSA members of HROT? Is there a recession coming?

When we had two straight quarters of negative GDP growth earlier this year, which has been the textbook definition of a recession in the past. The Biden administration said that it wasn't a recession because of the low unemployment rate. In Q3 the GDP went back into positive territory. But now the layoffs and hiring freezes are coming in fast, especially big money white collar jobs at the large tech firms. Additionally there are starting to be layoffs in the shipping/transportation industry, usually a canary in the coal mine for the economy, as demand slows. Meanwhile the CPI seems to be falling while the interest rates are rising.

Yep. Long overdue. Economy was too hot for too long. Had to take the pill eventually….if you don’t want to do rate increases when times are good this is what happens… part of the normal business cycle that we artificially postponed over the past 6 years.

Not a fan of what the fed did with interest rates as I do think we need to have a recession. Hopefully things can settle down soon.

Na, super soft landing, a big nothing burder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT