ADVERTISEMENT

Recommend a pickup truck

CJ Beat Hard

HR Heisman
Dec 15, 2016
What's the pros and cons of the F150, Silverado, ram and Sierra? Thinking about getting one and trying to decide which one to go with. I'll be pulling a camper so it will have the super extended mirrors

I've never owned a pickup truck, but my son beat the hell out of an F-150 and he's now beating the hell out of a Silverado and just based on watching this happen, I have to give the nod to the Ford.

Reactions: torbee
That thing burns more fuel than a Tundra when towing. It’s great for Raptors, but expect 8-9 mpg with a camper.
meh, I’m not concerned about mpg’s when it comes to my truck. Its a tool more than anything for me.

Borrowed my BiL's late teens Silverado quad cab 4x4 for a week after the derecho. 5.3L engine. I hauled two overflowing bed loads of fresh cut wet as can be heavy ass wood a total of 380 miles. That bed was stuffed full of wood. I got 23.5 mpg doing so. And while hauling, I swear I could not tell it was loaded down at all.

Engine had more than enough grunt...I was surprised how fast it was off the line for how big it is. Handled fine for a truck too once I got used to how it handled corners and bumpy stuff. Still a truck as far as handling is concerned, but it always felt in control.

One thing it passed with flying colors...coming into and out of Guttenberg on the south end, you have to pass thru the Millville/Turkey River valley, which has two "widowmaker" hill climbs. The engine and transmission gearing never flinched. Had it set at 60, it held 60 the entire way - if the AT shifted, I never noticed it doing so.

Seats were leather/comfortable and very adjustable, cab had room to spare and lots of storage. Stereo was more than good enough once I got used to how the screen menus laid out and fine tuned the audio. I wouldn't call it luxurious and it has its fair share of plastic...but it wasn't "displeasing". I also liked the switchable DIC in the instrument pod...made Sirius XM channel changing a breeze and also could switch over to engine metrics etc. I also thought it kept wind and road/tire noise out very nicely.

I'm hard to please with vehicles. That Silverado was very impressive. Wish I could afford one.

What's the pros and cons of the F150, Silverado, ram and Sierra? Thinking about getting one and trying to decide which one to go with. I'll be pulling a camper so it will have the super extended mirrors
I have a 2020 Ram Eco diesel. Gets 27+ MPG on the highway. Mine has the lower 3.92 gears so the 3.21 will do a bit better than that. My last tank averaged 24.5 MPG. My question is if you are towing, why would you want a half ton? Mine has a 12500# tow rating but I would consider towing a camper more that once or twice a year. A half ton will just be a white knuckle ride. They just don't have the stability that a 3/4 ton has for towing.

Reactions: goldmom
They’re the most reliable trucks around with the least depreciation, but they don’t have transmission coolers and they truly suck on gas mileage.

Tow package will get you a tranny cooler. Mine has it. Tow up to 10k or thereabouts. 4.3 gear, 5.7 liter. Hauls pretty well.

Last edited:
Yeah cause stopping every 100 miles for 45 minutes will be great.

Tundra's come with 38 gallon tanks. Plus if you're better equipped to tow, the vehicle won't work as hard, thus not burning as much gas.

But if you're all about towing, I'd get a 3/4 ton diesel. Generally better drive trains than their gas 1/2 ton counterparts. (especially with ford)

Borrowed my BiL's late teens Silverado quad cab 4x4 for a week after the derecho. 5.3L engine. I hauled two overflowing bed loads of fresh cut wet as can be heavy ass wood a total of 380 miles. That bed was stuffed full of wood. I got 23.5 mpg doing so. And while hauling, I swear I could not tell it was loaded down at all.

Engine had more than enough grunt...I was surprised how fast it was off the line for how big it is. Handled fine for a truck too once I got used to how it handled corners and bumpy stuff. Still a truck as far as handling is concerned, but it always felt in control.

One thing it passed with flying colors...coming into and out of Guttenberg on the south end, you have to pass thru the Millville/Turkey River valley, which has two "widowmaker" hill climbs. The engine and transmission gearing never flinched. Had it set at 60, it held 60 the entire way - if the AT shifted, I never noticed it doing so.

Seats were leather/comfortable and very adjustable, cab had room to spare and lots of storage. Stereo was more than good enough once I got used to how the screen menus laid out and fine tuned the audio. I wouldn't call it luxurious and it has its fair share of plastic...but it wasn't "displeasing". I also liked the switchable DIC in the instrument pod...made Sirius XM channel changing a breeze and also could switch over to engine metrics etc. I also thought it kept wind and road/tire noise out very nicely.

I'm hard to please with vehicles. That Silverado was very impressive. Wish I could afford one.
5.3 has an 11,100 tow rating. Ford Eco Boost can do better.

I have a steel body 2014 F-150 5L V8 and it’s been trouble free. Rides and handles great. We tow a smaller camper and don’t need mirror extensions, but a wider camper might. We got ours 2 years old w 12,000 miles in pristine condition for $28,000. Saved $10,000. You might be able to get 0% new, but there’s plenty of lease turn backs and low interest used truck loans out there.

The aluminum body F-150 w twin turbo V6 has been out long enough (2015) to confirm they’ve got a winning combo there. Over 700 lbs lighter with more torque than mine.

I have a 2016 3.5 Twin turbo crew cab. Really enjoyable vehicle to drive. Mileage sucks anytime you’re driving over 65. Been on a couple long haul ice fishing trips where it struggled to get 10mpg and I wasn’t pulling anything. Turbos constantly running use a ton of fuel

I have a 2016 3.5 Twin turbo crew cab. Really enjoyable vehicle to drive. Mileage sucks anytime you’re driving over 65. Been on a couple long haul ice fishing trips where it struggled to get 10mpg and I wasn’t pulling anything. Turbos constantly running use a ton of fuel
Oh my! I thought they would do much better than that. My Ram drops to around 24 at 80.

Appears you're right. Mine is older. Eh, believe you can add in an aftermarket solution.

Yeah, I’d do that if I towed more. I have a Tundra and I love it. Just want to be honest about the drawbacks. MPG is the biggest, especially if you leave it in beast mode.

I really like my '19 F150 with the V6 turbo. But the milage isn't great (I get about 17-18, mostly interstate speed). I don't pull that often but it's handled everything easily.

Yeah, I’d do that if I towed more. I have a Tundra and I love it. Just want to be honest about the drawbacks. MPG is the biggest, especially if you leave it in beast mode.

What do you consider beast mode? I get 17-18 on the interstate in Iowa doing around 70.

Getting a new engine option in 2021.

new Tundra will have a twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter hybrid V6 borrowed from the Lexus LS 500h. Its output should be in the neighborhood of 450 horsepower (335 kilowatts) and 500 pound-feet (677 Newton-meters) of torque, and gas mileage could be around 30 miles per gallon, or better.

new Tundra will have a twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter hybrid V6 borrowed from the Lexus LS 500h. Its output should be in the neighborhood of 450 horsepower (335 kilowatts) and 500 pound-feet (677 Newton-meters) of torque, and gas mileage could be around 30 miles per gallon, or better.

Of course the first year of a redesign and then I wonder about the longevity of turbocharged v6. 30mpg would be stupid, though.

Reactions: mnole03

30mpg Lol

I really like my '19 F150 with the V6 turbo. But the milage isn't great (I get about 17-18, mostly interstate speed). I don't pull that often but it's handled everything easily.
That’s a bit disappointing. I thought they were in low 20s. I get 16-17 mpg w the steel body v8.

Got my kid a '15 Silverado for his 18th bday. The thing is a beast. Runs great. Have grown up on the farm with Chevrolet Silverados and cannot remember one time that it left us stranded. We'd haul livestock and grain with it. I'll never look at anything other than a Silverado. Def no foreign jobbie for a truck. Wtf

Reactions: blackbones
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT