ADVERTISEMENT

Recommend a pickup truck

How big of a camper?
trailer or 5th wheel?
3/4 ton for sure.
If you want to pull a camper mileage is not the issue

My company truck is a 3/4 ton chevy with the 6.0 gasser. It is an absolute dog. Rides ok

My personal truck is Ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi. Obviously not as powerful as a diesel, but it would eat my chevy alive. Also pull a 11k lb fifth wheel with zero problems. It doesn’t ride as nice however.
First camper? Whatever you decide you want, scratch that and pick the one you’ll want next. There’s a saying with a lot of people who camp. Buy your 3rd camper first.. So I’d suggest a 3/4 ton truck right away.

My company truck is a 3/4 ton chevy with the 6.0 gasser. It is an absolute dog. Rides ok

My personal truck is Ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi. Obviously not as powerful as a diesel, but it would eat my chevy alive. Also pull a 11k lb fifth wheel with zero problems. It doesn’t ride as nice however.
First camper? Whatever you decide you want, scratch that and pick the one you’ll want next. There’s a saying with a lot of people who camp. Buy your 3rd camper first.. So I’d suggest a 3/4 ton truck right away.
I have a 2011 chevy 500HD 4wheel drive 6.0 that I am very happy with.
I pull a 28ft 5th wheel and don't even know it's back there.
17mpg hywy when not pulling the camper
10-11 mpg pulling.
Rides hard empty because of the suspension and 10 ply tires
Great truck

Got a F250 7.3 with 10 speed transmission. Pulls our fifth wheel great.

Then add the supercharged. It’ll run 13’s.

Cybertruck does a 10.8 and 0 to 60 in 2.9. That's the tri motor that has a 500 mile range, albeit hard saying what the range is with a 5th wheel, but let's be real OP doesn't have a 5th wheel or a truck. Dude might be checking out a 2k lbs popup.

Increases trolling.

@McLovin32 cybertrucks dont get scratches.

Cybertruck does a 10.8 and 0 to 60 in 2.9. That's the tri motor that has a 500 mile range, albeit hard saying what the range is with a 5th wheel, but let's be real OP doesn't have a 5th wheel or a truck. Dude might be checking out a 2k lbs popup.

Increases trolling.

There’s no way the triple motor version is going to be only $70k. The powertrain is shared with the new roadster. I’d buy it in a heartbeat if it comes to market at that price.

There’s no way the triple motor version is going to be only $70k. The powertrain is shared with the new roadster. I’d buy it in a heartbeat if it comes to market at that price.

That is what the internet is telling me. I assume that is without any extras.

What's the pros and cons of the F150, Silverado, ram and Sierra? Thinking about getting one and trying to decide which one to go with. I'll be pulling a camper so it will have the super extended mirrors
Tundra.....as said before super reliable and best resale, but if you insist on american f-150, no doubt. It's what ford does best and they've been perfecting it for 43 years. My buddy who has been mechanic for decades says those are top 2, says he sees issues pop up on the GM and Fiat/Chrysler (ram) that just shouldn't be happening so soon....quality control issues, he says he'd avoid those FWIW.

I've got a 4runner and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. Only toyotas from now on for me

Tundra.....as said before super reliable and best resale, but if you insist on american f-150, no doubt. It's what ford does best and they've been perfecting it for 43 years. My buddy who has been mechanic for decades says those are top 2, says he sees issues pop up on the GM and Fiat/Chrysler (ram) that just shouldn't be happening so soon....quality control issues, he says he'd avoid those FWIW.

I've got a 4runner and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. Only toyotas from now on for me

I traded in my '93 Land Cruiser with 228k miles for $4900 a couple years ago. Might get another one just to putz around in this winter.

If you are pulling a camper you will need to beef up the suspension with either overload springs/shocks or air bags. RAM has adjusted their suspension to improve the ride; but it had a negative affect for towing.

If you are getting it strictly for towing, get a 3/4 ton truck. If you will pull a couple times a year a 1/2 ton will work; but you should stiffen up the suspension.

Here's how I view pickups. It all comes down to this. How often will I NEED to use it?

I just have a difficult time buying a whole lot of pickup if I only need to use it maybe tops once a month. The campground guys at my cabin - the ones who launch boats and are hauling a lot of stuff back and forth every weekend own "more pickup". The ones who haul their trailers once in the spring and fall, and aren't launching every weekend - they tend to have "less pickup" and use an SUV for the daily driving and trips back and forth.

They own one that CAN tow the trailer, CAN launch the boat easily - but not anything close to new or highly rigged.

Hell, I bought a used S-10 a couple weekends ago. It'll launch my boat 10 times or so per year. Maybe 20 trips back and forth for weekends. The very rare hauling from Menards etc.

I doubt it will get 4k miles per year. Perfect for my needs.

Increases trolling.

Easy buddy I dont want to have to embarrass you at fight bar. We have a 21ft travel trailer right now. We currently tow it with my wife's VW Atlas but thats about at the upper limits of what it can tow. We are hoping to head out to Glacier NP next summer and want to have a truck that will handle everything better. Besides that, it will be used the occasional weekend camping trip and towing a small fishing boat. It needs to have good gas mileage as I drive 85 round trip a day.

I went through this earlier in the year and determined the F150 Lariat was the best for my needs. I needed/wanted a truck for mostly city driving but needing the availability to tow (a boat) and throw things in the back on occasion. I bought a couple weeks before Covid
My comparisons to F150...
Silverado: Still has same V8 from 15 years ago, reliable, but poorer gas mileage and price was about on par but there were trade offs. Back doors don’t open as wide— annoyance.
Tundra: MPG was very poor and pricier. Back seat smaller and stereo/nav antiquated. In order to get same features as Lariat it was $10K more, but more clunky.
Ridgeline: Not a real truck
RAM: new model that actually looks sharp, but it was the first year. The model that competes with Lariat is more $ (when I looked) and it was a RAM so less reliable and a new model.
Sierra: Rear sear was small. Price was very high. Neighbor has one and it looks sharp but he’s had so many problems. I’ve been steered clear from GMC lately.

CR-Cars-InlineHero-2019-Ram-HD-Dually-f-1-19

When it comes to trucks, it’s the F150 and then everyone else. There's a reason it’s consistently the best selling vehicle.

I owned a Tundra. It was a good truck and I really liked it. But damn the gas mileage sucked.

I wouldn’t buy a GM if they gave me $30k off and I had to cover the rest. Every GM product I’ve ever experienced looks beautiful but has something break - a computer, a window control, a sensor, a knob falls off, etc. Every time. Just my experience but I can’t stand those vehicles. They do look great though.

Reactions: blhawk
DO NOT BUY A FORD UNLESS YOU WANT TO BUY A NEW TRUCK IN FIVE YEARS.

I went through this earlier in the year and determined the F150 Lariat was the best for my needs. I needed/wanted a truck for mostly city driving but needing the availability to tow (a boat) and throw things in the back on occasion. I bought a couple weeks before Covid
My comparisons to F150...
Sierra: Rear sear was small. Price was very high. Neighbor has one and it looks sharp but he’s had so many problems. I’ve been steered clear from GMC lately.
@Derekd3408 please confirm if both your Sierra's have a small rear seat

Easy buddy I dont want to have to embarrass you at fight bar. We have a 21ft travel trailer right now. We currently tow it with my wife's VW Atlas but thats about at the upper limits of what it can tow. We are hoping to head out to Glacier NP next summer and want to have a truck that will handle everything better. Besides that, it will be used the occasional weekend camping trip and towing a small fishing boat. It needs to have good gas mileage as I drive 85 round trip a day.
I get around 22-24mpg on hwy with my 18 Sierra 1500. It would pull your camper fine. Guessing the 20s will have huge rebates on them right now. Sept and Oct are best months to buy a truck.

@Derekd3408 please confirm if both your Sierra's have a small rear seat
The truck, yes. But unless you are going to have a 6'7 guy in the front and back, you will be fine. Had me, my wife, parents, and a car seat in it going to South Dakota and it was just fine.

My wifes rear seat is perfect size, I believe you've seen it in some snaps.

Reactions: CJ Beat Hard
I have driven and/owned all of the major brands extensively. Ultimately, get the one you like and is the best value for you.

My dad has an F150. Very nice, but I have found the driver's seat to be uncomfortable for me. I have driven it nearly 5000 miles over the last few years as we have traveled together.

I currently own a 2017 Ram 1500. Very comfortable for me, I use it to tow a few different trailers (aluminum livestock trailer, 2 different cargo/box trailers and a flatbed) on a regular basis and have never been disappointed. I bought it because I wanted something different than my 2014 Silverado, wanted sa truck with less miles, and I liked the color.

Truck before current was a 2014 Silverado. Again did well for me in lots of ways, but not quite as refined as some others. Had a random electrical gremlin that drove me nuts for a bit. Traded it at 104k miles and still see it running around town for a new owner.

Reactions: blackbones
ADVERTISEMENT