ADVERTISEMENT

Recommend me a new chefs knife

JWolf74

HR Legend
Jan 22, 2012
DSM
@FSUTribe76

Looking for a new 8" chefs knife, and likely a 6-7" santoku. Looking to spend under 200 each. Want a wood handle.

Have some victorinox boning and carving knives that I like, but seeing what the other recs are.

It's less the knife. More, the keeping sharp that counts. I can use a 5 dollar chef's knife that I make razor sharp. Generally speaking, get a high carbon blade.

From the pots and pans thread Tribe had this:

It’s a really nice piece, I bought one for myself and then afterwards I went ahead and got my sister one as a gift.

I did recently upgrade my knives though going to a mostly complete set of Shun Classics (cleaver, both size chef knives, both sizes of santokus, nakiri (vegetable chopper), Chinese cleaver, standard 6 inch utility, paring, gokujo (fish filet but also multipurpose boning, unlike Western style filet knives), honesuki (chicken boning knife) and kiritsuke (essentially a santoku with a sharp point). Since they vary in price between $100-200 per knife, I didn’t bother getting some of the knives I never use like odd shaped rounded utility knives or the roast beef shaving knives, but it’s basically a complete set. So I handed down some cheaper knives that were still good quality to my sister.

As part of my hand me downs I gave my sister this kiritsuki which is the nicest you can get for under $150 and it’s only $50.

YAIBA Kiritsuke Chef Knife Damascus Professional Chef Knife 8.5 Inch VG10 Japanese Damascus Kitchen Cutlery Knife 67-Layer High Carbon Stainless Steel Cutting Vegetable Meat Cleaver Kitchen Chef Knife

This little grouping of vegetable chopper, chef knife and cleaver where each was only $25 a knife but they’re not substantially worse than the Shun Classics I just bought.

Nakiri Knife 7 Inch Classic Japanese Knife - Asian Vegetable Knife - Hand-Sharpened 15° Double-Bevel High Carbon Stainless Steel Kitchen Knife - Pro Japanese Chef's Knife (7-inch Nakiri Knife)

Meat Cleaver 7 Inch Cleaver Knife German High Carbon Stainless Steel chef Knife kitchen knife with Ergonomic Handle for Home Professional Butcher's Knife for Kitchen and Restaurant (7-inch Cleaver)

Professional Chefs Knife, 8 Inch Carbon Steel Knife for Kitchen, Sharp Kitchen Knife, Cuchillo De Cocina Gyutou Knife w/ Ergonomic Handle for Home Cooking & Restaurant (8-inch Chef Knife)

I also had some older hand me down Damascus steel Japanese knives like santokus and Western knives.

@FSUTribe76

Looking for a new 8" chefs knife, and likely a 6-7" santoku. Looking to spend under 200 each. Want a wood handle.

Have some victorinox boning and carving knives that I like, but seeing what the other recs are.

I’m a big fan of the Shun Classics. I have a mostly complete set myself (just skipping one or two I would never actually use) after starting with just two or three of them to supplement the cheaper sets. I almost went with the showier Shun Premier instead but ultimately decided to go with the less flamboyant but equally high quality Shun Classic instead. You can usually find most of them under $200 with only a little bit of searching.

Some knives that are surprisingly good for only $25 each are these Ytoumzi’s. If you’ve got the scratch maybe pick up one or two of the Shun Classics and then grab these four to supplement. The Nakiri is especially useful. I probably use my nakiri more than any chef or Santoku knife. Probably second in use only to the paring knife.

Amazon product ASIN B089CZ8V12
Amazon product ASIN B08GCK1B8L
Amazon product ASIN B095SP2YX2
Amazon product ASIN B089CTQK6J

From the pots and pans thread Tribe had this:

I forgot about that cheap kiritsuke. It’s actually a really great knife. If I was starting out with about a $500 knife budget I’d get that kiritsuke, the cheap meat cleaver and nakiri I previously rec’d and then get a Shun Classic or Premier chef knife and Santoku.

Odd flex. But yes, was planning on it.
Flex maybe but it's the truth. All knives get dull, especially if you are cutting through bone. Since you're a physician, I'm sure you have experience with scalpels, sutures etc. Good tools are good tools but generally speaking knives fail with amateurs because they are poorly maintained and cared for. Professional chefs usually send their tools to get sharpened and honed on a regular basis. That service isn't cheap but you can mostly replicate it at home.

I deliberately blunted my cheap knives where they couldn't cut worth a crap. I then learned how to use whetstones. It's a great portal into zen because it's just you and your blade and you develop a rhythm. Before you know it, my knives are as good as surgical steel. But they are a pleasure to use because they make every task that much simpler.

@FSUTribe76

Check here:

This one is the best and very reasonable. Need to make sure you get the proper sharpening steel

Amazon product ASIN B0857CJ3DW

I would not use a Shun to cut bone. They have a thinner cutting angle than a German style knife, a bone could chip the blade. Drop $40 or $50 on a good cleaver for that, then pony up up for Shun. I have a Kiritsuke and Nakiri for most stuff. Skip the Santoku, I love how these cut and they're sexy.

X5VL.gif

Reactions: GOHOX69
I’m a big fan of the Shun Classics. I have a mostly complete set myself (just skipping one or two I would never actually use) after starting with just two or three of them to supplement the cheaper sets. I almost went with the showier Shun Premier instead but ultimately decided to go with the less flamboyant but equally high quality Shun Classic instead. You can usually find most of them under $200 with only a little bit of searching.

Some knives that are surprisingly good for only $25 each are these Ytoumzi’s. If you’ve got the scratch maybe pick up one or two of the Shun Classics and then grab these four to supplement. The Nakiri is especially useful. I probably use my nakiri more than any chef or Santoku knife. Probably second in use only to the paring knife.

351551_d102430e6c154a67a6e266fdf97217da~mv2.gif

Check here:

This one is the best and very reasonable. Need to make sure you get the proper sharpening steel

351551_d102430e6c154a67a6e266fdf97217da~mv2.gif

I deliberately blunted my cheap knives where they couldn't cut worth a crap. I then learned how to use whetstones. It's a great portal into zen because it's just you and your blade and you develop a rhythm. Before you know it, my knives are as good as surgical steel. But they are a pleasure to use because they make every task that much simpler.

Getting a Dexter vibe from this post.

My favorite is a regular old Sysco knife I took as a memento when we closed down a restaurant I had worked at on and off over the years. Sharp, ergonomic, and built to do it's job vs look like a showpiece on a magnet strip in some douchers home kitchen. I dont let the kids handle it.

I forgot about that cheap kiritsuke. It’s actually a really great knife. If I was starting out with about a $500 knife budget I’d get that kiritsuke, the cheap meat cleaver and nakiri I previously rec’d and then get a Shun Classic or Premier chef knife and Santoku.
Just finally read through the old threads. I hadn't considered the cutting board piece. I have a few cheap plastic boards, but mainly use a couple wood boards. Both were from a local place so I'm assuming it's local hardwood. Would that change your recommendations? Or would I just have to sharpen more frequently?

Just finally read through the old threads. I hadn't considered the cutting board piece. I have a few cheap plastic boards, but mainly use a couple wood boards. Both were from a local place so I'm assuming it's local hardwood. Would that change your recommendations? Or would I just have to sharpen more frequently?

Without the correct type of cutting board, you’re blunting the knife quicker. So yes, you would need to sharpen more frequently. But it’s going to blunt cheaper knives just as quickly maybe even more so due to the cheaper steel.

Bought a few Cutco knives from an ex-player who is selling for them. A bit pricey but very good quality and lifetime guarantee.

If you’re looking to saw the muffler off your car or cut your shoe in half

I have a 25 year old one of those in a drawer right now. And it was pretty much the only knife I ever used for 20 years before finally spending a few bucks on a few better knives. It really is a hell of a product. Still by far the best thing for cutting bread that I've got.

Without the correct type of cutting board, you’re blunting the knife quicker. So yes, you would need to sharpen more frequently. But it’s going to blunt cheaper knives just as quickly maybe even more so due to the cheaper steel.

It's kind of between the expensive shun premier (I like the handle better than the classics) and a higher end German style.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
It's kind of between the expensive shun premier (I like the handle better than the classics) and a higher end German style.
Japanese knives use higher carbon steel and are considerably stiffer. For some applications this is great, for others you can snap the blade. They are also generally sharpened at a more acute angle, say 17 degrees versus german knives which use about a 20 degree angle and use softer steel. What's the difference? German knives can be used for heavier tasks such as deboning, large meat cutting etc. Japanese knives can be used for finer tasks such as sashimi making etc. Try a german knife to make a clean cut on fresh fish :) You'll end up with mush. Good luck with your purchase.

@FSUTribe76

Just slip by the crash cart and grab a #3 handle and #10 blade. Then you are good to go.

• Love
Another vote for Shun Classic. That knife was my workhorse when I cooked professionally and it's still in great shape. I've had it for about 15 years now, only damage I got was when some jackass delivery guy slammed a box down on a table and knocked my knife to the floor. Got a very minor ding on the edge that I was able to work out on a tri stone.

Very high carbon blades, so make sure you dry them off properly or you can develop rust spots that will need to be buffed out.

If I'm working with cutting through joints I just use a 6 inch Wusthof boning knife... heavier gauge and not as fine a bevel... works great.

Another vote for Shun Classic. That knife was my workhorse when I cooked professionally and it's still in great shape. I've had it for about 15 years now, only damage I got was when some jackass delivery guy slammed a box down on a table and knocked my knife to the floor. Got a very minor ding on the edge that I was able to work out on a tri stone.

Very high carbon blades, so make sure you dry them off properly or you can develop rust spots that will need to be buffed out.

If I'm working with cutting through joints I just use a 6 inch Wusthof boning knife... heavier gauge and not as fine a bevel... works great.
Great minds think alike :)

Reactions: like-woahh
The entire Ginsu collection :)
The Ginsu Chikara set is an excellent buy for anyone who's not an every day/all day chef.

CR's Take

For some, the name Ginsu is synonymous with hammy 1970s-era infomercials, but this a serious cutlery company. Its 8-piece set offers incredible value, providing the cutting performance and handle comfort of knives costing three and four times as much. The set includes a chef’s and santoku knife, but not a slicer.

And you get the 8 pc set for $120. For the two or three times a week kitchen chef, it's all you'll ever need.

Go German, they hold an edge longer and get plenty sharp enough for a home kitchen. You also are better off investing in a quality steel or honing rod. I sharpen my knives less than 5 times a year, but use the hone every day.

Edit to add: consider buying American. There a quite a few newish American companies that are using quality steel for a fraction of the price of the classic companies.

Last edited:
Go German, they hold an edge longer and get plenty sharp enough for a home kitchen. You also are better off investing in a quality steel or honing rod. I sharpen my knives less than 5 times a year, but use the hone every day.

Edit to add: consider buying American. There a quite a few newish American companies that are using quality steel for a fraction of the price of the classic companies.
Any specific American brands to look at?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT