ADVERTISEMENT

Record Attendance

Kwoodhawk

HR Heisman
Feb 11, 2009
Record attendance of 113,013 beats the 2012 record of 112,393 set in St. Louis in 2012.

Next year is in NYC. Y'all say hi to Tarp for me.

Then we'll se you back here in St. Louis March 16-18 in 2017.

Woo Hoo.........
party0003.r191677.gif

I'll leave the light on for you........
This post was edited on 3/22 10:18 PM by Kwoodhawk

I would guess this is because of parity. Several teams with a legitimate shot at the title. Good for the sport.

Attendance numbers listed above are a joke. They counted the number of tickets sold, not the number coming through the gates. There were sessions with at least 5K open seats including Saturday morning. It's a shame it's all about setting records using manipulation of the numbers and not actual figures like butts in seats.

Originally posted by jmhanft:
Attendance numbers listed above are a joke. They counted the number of tickets sold, not the number coming through the gates. There were sessions with at least 5K open seats including Saturday morning. It's a shame it's all about setting records using manipulation of the numbers and not actual figures like butts in seats.
Agree 100% with this. Tickets were not close to being sold out, as evidenced by all the emails we were receiving up to a day in advance.

St. Louis is excellent at marketing their city and far ahead of other cities in selling their facilities for events. They obviously have great people in charge of their tourism department and it is critical to their city. This is a good PR stunt for them. I can tell you by the eyeball test that this event was no way more attended than many other nationals.

In NYC, there will be more people in the seats watching wrestling than this past weekend. I don't have any doubt about this, whether it costs $500/night for a hotel or not. There will also be more people watching it on TV, more fanfare about the event in general, more coverage from ESPN. It will be a great move for NCAA wrestling.

But St. Louis will still probably hold the attendance record after next year.

This post was edited on 3/23 3:12 PM by dicemen99

Originally posted by jmhanft:
Honest question- Were the attendance numbers counted differently in 2012? Were there not empty seats also in 2012?

I've only been to the 2010 & 2013 tourneys and while I loved every minute, to expect everybody who bought a ticket to sit there all session is a lot to ask. JMO

Every venue in every sport counts tickets sold, not people passing through turnstiles. It's been that way for a long time now. There were open seats, but you can tell if the top rows are full around the perimeter then it was at the least very close to a sellout. If MSG has a smaller seating capacity than Scottrade the record will stand.

This is standard practice. Iowa will claim all of the season ticket holders for the Iowa City Duals and that is counted in our attendance-leading figures at the end of the year. We all know that nowhere near that number actually attend. Get over it. (but still keep sending me the tickets you don't use because I try to put kids' butts in your seats.).

Originally posted by GG121AND2:
This is standard practice. Iowa will claim all of the season ticket holders for the Iowa City Duals and that is counted in our attendance-leading figures at the end of the year. We all know that nowhere near that number actually attend. Get over it. (but still keep sending me the tickets you don't use because I try to put kids' butts in your seats.).

Shameless.......absolutely shameless............
wink.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT