ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: 2 things I wish for...

hooper56

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2001
The first one is for DJ Carton to commit to the Hawks. He is just what we need and it would be the perfect situation for him as well. The 2nd would be for Patrick McCaffery to do a deep dive and study into Ryan Bowen. The two are built similarly and I think Patrick has the chance to do what Ryan did. Bowen was a supremely good defender and used his quickness to great effect. Had a big motor and never stopped hustling. Baer could sit in the film sessions too as he has that same body type.

And to sneak in a 3rd wish. I want Garza and Pemsl to get big and strong. We could use some of that as well.

Speaking of Carton. Kind of interesting it took this long for Iowa St to finally offer him.

Not sure if Iowa has needed a local guy more than him in quite some time.

The first one is for DJ Carton to commit to the Hawks. He is just what we need and it would be the perfect situation for him as well. The 2nd would be for Patrick McCaffery to do a deep dive and study into Ryan Bowen. The two are built similarly and I think Patrick has the chance to do what Ryan did. Bowen was a supremely good defender and used his quickness to great effect. Had a big motor and never stopped hustling. Baer could sit in the film sessions too as he has that same body type.

And to sneak in a 3rd wish. I want Garza and Pemsl to get big and strong. We could use some of that as well.

I completely agree on DJ.

The comparison with Ryan Bowen is intriguing. Similar size and build. Patrick appears to be more skilled than Ryan was but I think Ryan was more explosive athletically.....You’re right about Bowen’s motor and Patrick appears to have a good motor and be very competitive.

Your 3rd wish I am also 100% with you!

IIRC, Ryan was a very good tennis player and often credited that background when asked about his quickness.

Patrick might want to take up the game his last 2 year’s of school. He plays so much AAU ball, I don’t know if he will have time for it, though.

I don't see that Patrick is more skilled than Ryan. At least he didn't show it in the tournament. Ryan was a really good player.

Reactions: Hammer93

i Ryan Bowen was one hell of an athlete that would be nice for Patrick to be as good athlete as he was

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
Bowen did credit his tennis game as a contributing factor in his basketball development. Footwork and anticipation, perhaps.

Anyway, he had a long NBA career, so it must have helped. Wish i had his bank.

Reactions: brokenarrow73

Fran won't let his players put on too much muscle or 10 extra lbs, hence part of the problem.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
IIRC, Ryan was a very good tennis player and often credited that background when asked about his quickness.

Patrick might want to take up the game his last 2 year’s of school. He plays so much AAU ball, I don’t know if he will have time for it, though.
I wish he would take up powerlifting and competitive eating. Squats and brats.

Fran won't let his players put on too much muscle or 10 extra lbs, hence part of the problem.

The post season comments from Fran, Ryan K, and someone else I can’t remember were that the weight program would be revamped and this Iowa team would look different next year.

I'd like to see Pemsil jump Above the Rim and make a 10 ft jump shot

I would like all of our 4/5 guys be able to hit a 10ft jump shot. Garza, Kreiner, and Nunge are about the only one's who can hit the 10ft jumper. Pemsl, Wagner, and Cook all try to take it to the rim everytime. They can't do it successfully. a 10ft jump shot would help Cook and Pemsl out so much.

The post season comments from Fran, Ryan K, and someone else I can’t remember were that the weight program would be revamped and this Iowa team would look different next year.
Yes, definitely agree. I heard it too on post game. Its time these kids start looking toned and built like many of the top individual players in the B1G. I have been complaining about it for quite some time.

You dont have to look like a college RB or LB on the court, but for christ sakes, look like you might have been given some directions on where the weight room is at by your junior year in college. I see better basketball physiques watching some DIII schools than what this program displays.

Give me what MSU does. See what their program is doing from a body development standpoint.

Last edited:
I would like all of our 4/5 guys be able to hit a 10ft jump shot. Garza, Kreiner, and Nunge are about the only one's who can hit the 10ft jumper. Pemsl, Wagner, and Cook all try to take it to the rim everytime. They can't do it successfully. a 10ft jump shot would help Cook and Pemsl out so much.
Didn't you watch Cook in his last few games? He made 2 or 3 one game. He's adding this late in the year, nevertheless, he's aware, he needs to make that shot a part of his game. Defense and free throws and less stupid turnovers plus a 10' shot. Keep Pemsl on put backs and layups and have him add a 10' jumper, nothing further out.

Reactions: RocknRollface

It’s needed a “revamping” for a long, long time. The players now would benefit more from dedicating to S&C than a European trip or PTL this summer.

Wasn't he also on his high school's cross country team or am I thinking of someone else?

I agree that Iowa's team plays weak. but for a few of the players, there needs to be a shift in attitude, as much as strength. We can't have our most athletic players playing passive defense. I want to see aggression from Moss, Dailey, and Cook.

If Patrick can play like Ryan Bowen, but with offensive skills, he will be a great player. Bowen was a bigger, stronger, little bit quicker version of Baer. Great basketball IQ, which allowed him to have a long NBA career, without an offensive game.

OP's #1 is the key to Iowa's success over the next few years, although I don't want Fran to put all of his eggs in the Carton basket. We need a top PG, who can play on both ends.

Reactions: unclesammy

Reality apparently doesn’t fit your narrative as it relates to Cook. He absolutely had a mid range jumper in his game, albeit not a focus, but he has shown the ability.

Reality apparently doesn’t fit your narrative as it relates to Cook. He absolutely had a mid range jumper in his game, albeit not a focus, but he has shown the ability.

He can hit a mid range shot but rarely tries,he probably had more charges than made jumpers.

Yeah,.....I don't think so.

"Correlation does not equal causation"..... but it seems to me that 1963's comment has a certain amount of truth ever since the year Basabe bulked up (after sophomore season????) and lost quickness/leaping. I could be totally wrong about this, but who has added 10 lbs in the weight room since Gabe Olaseni, who came to Iowa very skinny?

I remember him as a freshman hitting a few 3's early in the season. Then he pretty much stopped shooting it. This year he did show it, but he rarely used it. I agree he had more charges than made jump shots. He doesn't show much confidence in his shot from outside of 5ft. He threw up some nice shots but also some bricks/air balls. That is a part of his game he has to improve on, otherwise teams will slack off him.

Wagner/Pemsl have zero game outside of 5ft and they are both 6-7 to 6-9 in height. Not a great recipe for success in the big ten.

Yes, definitely agree. I heard it too on post game. Its time these kids start looking toned and built like many of the top individual players in the B1G. I have been complaining about it for quite some time.

You dont have to look like a college RB or LB on the court, but for christ sakes, look like you might have been given some directions on where the weight room is at by your junior year in college. I see better basketball physiques watching some DIII schools than what this program displays.

Give me what MSU does. See what their program is doing from a body development standpoint.

The big difference between Iowa and MSU is the players being recruited. They are getting guys that are coming in big and developed already. We have to build our guys up.

Reactions: Ronman
Speaking of Carton. Kind of interesting it took this long for Iowa St to finally offer him.

Not sure if Iowa has needed a local guy more than him in quite some time.

I'm incredibly surprised to see the offer this late in the game, but apparently he wants to visit ISU so I guess that's probably what got it started.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
I remember him as a freshman hitting a few 3's early in the season. Then he pretty much stopped shooting it. This year he did show it, but he rarely used it. I agree he had more charges than made jump shots. He doesn't show much confidence in his shot from outside of 5ft. He threw up some nice shots but also some bricks/air balls. That is a part of his game he has to improve on, otherwise teams will slack off him.

Wagner/Pemsl have zero game outside of 5ft and they are both 6-7 to 6-9 in height. Not a great recipe for success in the big ten.

Cook made 2 3 pointers as a freshmen and 1 this year. I believe the first shot in the first game was a 3 pointer he made making me think this was going to be part of hi s game. He definitely improved his 12-15’ jumper this year.

Cook made 2 3 pointers as a freshmen and 1 this year. I believe the first shot in the first game was a 3 pointer he made making me think this was going to be part of hi s game. He definitely improved his 12-15’ jumper this year.

Recent video of Tyler in his work out prep showed him hitting threes with some consistency..........much better than I anticipated. Very smooth and confident looking shot.

The big difference between Iowa and MSU is the players being recruited. They are getting guys that are coming in big and developed already. We have to build our guys up.
I get that. Wagner had a B1G body when he got here too. Just talking about getting these guys to pack some muscle on by the time they are 20 - 21 and in the program for a couple years. Every player is going to be different but in general some programs do a better job than others when they get there.

Reactions: icwesthawk
Recent video of Tyler in his work out prep showed him hitting threes with some consistency..........much better than I anticipated. Very smooth and confident looking shot.

I have no doubt he is capable of extending his range. One thing I've noticed about Tyler's outside shot is when he is completely squared and stationary he is deadly. Off dribble with ANY movement=no chance.

I get that. Wagner had a B1G body when he got here too. Just talking about getting these guys to pack some muscle on by the time they are 20 - 21 and in the program for a couple years. Every player is going to be different but in general some programs do a better job than others when they get there.

True Wagner is a guy who was developed physically when he got to Iowa, his basketball skills are still lacking. That's what MSU does, brings in developed guys physically with basketball skills, that's the difference in the programs, among other things.

Reactions: Jonnymungo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT