ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Failure?

I think it’s less about a talent/recruiting problem and more about a bad scheme and the inability to get our best players on the field with the ball in their hands.

Charlie Jones is exhibit A in this argument. At Iowa, he’s the #4 receiver, with 21 catches all year. He transfers to Purdue has his production jumps dramatically— with 21 catches (and a bunch of TDS) in just 2 games.

Jones did not get more talented. He just moved to a team that knows how to utilize offensive talent.

I actually believe any of our QBs could look great in the right system. We’ve even seen that it the past with backup QBs who transferred away.
I couldn't agree more. The offense just flat out blows. Many of the players don't. This 100 percent falls on coaching. Quality coaching would figure out how to use what you have and get the most out of them. Instead we're stuck with the family business where the kid doesn't have what the old man did and keeps trying to jam square pegs in round holes.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Wasn't Padilla the kid where the Georgia coach flew in to see him in a helicopter?

I don't trust our coaches for QB talent but I have to trust GA's!

Wasn't Padilla the kid where the Georgia coach flew in to see him in a helicopter?

I don't trust our coaches for QB talent but I have to trust GA's!
They didn’t and Georgia passed on Justin Fields for a QB that is no longer in the NFL.

I think it is both recruiting and coaching.

We've had some good players. We have had some good QBs. But Kirk's "avoid creativity and mistakes at all cost" mentality ruins them. Conservative, predictable play calling and fear of making a mistake handcuffs our QB and is frustrating to our WRs who rarely get a chance to show their skills.
Players in good offenses have fun. There is no fun in Kirk's offense.
This times 1,000,000
It is so boring to watch. Can’t imagine playing in it.

Can we just stop with the “Banks ran out of bounds short of the first down one time” nonsense as “proof” that he wasn’t ready? Good grief.
We’ll, he was a good athlete but didn’t seem ready to me. My complaint is not playing the backup some so he gets his feet wet.

I don't follow recruiting like most of you do, but it blows my mind how little turnover there is at the WR position....just like QB, there seems to be ZERO effort in getting better year to year...like QB, once you have the job, its for life. Damn, our most skilled RB was a FB for four (4) straight years. Pathetic way to do business.

I don't follow recruiting like most of you do, but it blows my mind how little turnover there is at the WR position....just like QB, there seems to be ZERO effort in getting better year to year...like QB, once you have the job, its for life. Damn, our most skilled RB was a FB for four (4) straight years. Pathetic way to do business.
There almost literally are no other receivers. We have 3 out with imjuries. Brecht is just getting back from an injury.

I'm not going to argue with someone who believes that Iowa's WR recruiting is high level. Ragaini was a fall back recruit with BC as his only other FBS offer. He is slow and dropped way too many balls last year. He was the 200th ranked WR in his class. That's some high level recruiting right there.
I agree; we don’t have any wide receivers that are close to difference makers. None have game breaking speed at all. KJ and Bruce would be rotational pieces in a legitimate offense but not close to #1 options.

Failure on recruiting, refusal to use the transfer portal and not completely overhaul the offensive staff after last year.

Iowa has 2, 4 star athletes turned WR, one of which isn't currently healthy. when is the last time they had that? Missing on Kasper sucks, losing Jones sucks, and the class right now is not looking great either. It is going to become a recruiting issue, but right now the problem is entirely on the scheme.
There's more to being a receiver than just being a good athlete. Our receivers are not good when you look at them compared to receivers on other teams. Bruce and Johnson, while considered good for Iowa, are not good receivers when compared to other teams receiver talent. Ragaini is slow, drops balls, Wick shouldn't see the field. Even if we did have competent receivers, we don't have a qb that can complete a pass to them. The whole offense sucks.

The Hawkeye football team will be at a crossroad after this season. Unless things change, they are likely looking at a losing record. What Kirk does will be telling……

1. Keep Brian as OC, and continue with the status quo?
2. Fire/demote Brian, bring in a competent OC, and let him do his thing.

1. means Kirk doesn’t really care anymore and is just playing out the string.
He is stubborn and refuses to change.
2. means he recognizes Iowa’s weakness and is willing to adapt in order to
compete.

It is worrisome there are zero WR commits. This makes me think #1 is going to happen.

Any chance Banks was protecting the coaching staff with that comment you refer to?
Of course there is. But then you’re calling him a liar…..can’t have a liar leading the team 😜
Just gets tiresome when that response is trotted out as an example. We don’t know and the one person who shared their opinion is the one who was impacted the most.

I've given a lot of thought to KF staying with Petras. I've coached some myself albeit not near this level. Unless a player was just an a**hole or not coachable I would never leave the best talent on the bench. I find it hard to believe that, with the coaches we have on the staff, the best guy wouldn't be in there. I also find it difficult to believe, knowing how precise KF runs his program, that he is too stubborn to make a change if there are better players on the team.

With that said, it sends a poor message to any backup player that the guy in front of you will continue to play if he doesn't perform. I'm just puzzled. That leads me to the title. It has to be a recruiting failure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but KOK went out to watch 2-3 QB's throw in person. One was a QB that I think ended up at BYU. He chose SP. I've seen so little of the #3 & #4 QB's to even know much about them. Just have HS game films. So there is no one in the program that can do as well? In my playing career, again not near this level but DIII, I've seen guys that were not the best practice players. When they got in the game they performed well.

Your comments?
It has been this way for a while, it wont change until coaches are changed.

I know right, Baker Mayfield absolutely blew. I know I wouldn't want Bennett and his 174 QBR against legit defense.

That's not the point. They didn't evaluate Bennett accurately during the process and as noted above they also "missed" on the Fields eval. QB evals are difficult at best but to say that a QB is the answer because Georgia's staff recruited him may not be necessarily true (I don't think Deuce is with us any longer despite the helicopter trick)

ADVERTISEMENT