ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING - IT'S ALL RECRUITING

MALOS

Rookie
Feb 21, 2011
I have been a long time student of the sport and like to think I know what I am talking about. After returning from Nationals - one thing is evident. Recruiting wins championships.

Cael Sanderson is not coaching Hall, Nickel, Retherford, and Nolf. These are world champs. Just like, Brands, Koll and Smith are not coaching Spencer, Warner, Yianni, and Fix. These kids are already way ahead of their time and they are true "freaks." One thing is for sure, the future of USA wrestling is bright. These coaches are providing a good environment for the kids, keeping them out of trouble and making sure their heads are right.

How PSU and tOSU are recruiting is unheard of. They are obviously playing with the rules. No question about it. If its legal, Iowa and the Okies need to figure it out.

This win for Spencer was HUGE. It will start a new chapter for the Hawkeyes but, let's be clear, Kemerer is an amazing talent as well. It will be very tough to keep Yianni and Spencer off the 2020 world team - throw in Fix if he can make weight with a 2 hour weigh in.

Iowa needs to KEEP recruiting athletes. Not just brawlers. Look what Spencer did to Suriano. We need more Kemerers, Lees, and Warners. Once Marinelli gets more technical - he will be in the bunch as well.

But, these tournaments are won in the recruiting game and Iowa needs to keep picking it up. As we can see by these results, the effort in recruiting is paying off. A credit to Morningstar but I would like to see Perry on the trail as well.

tOSU graduates Tomasello, Snyder, and Bo Jordan. That's a lot of points.
PSU loses Retherford and they are still the team to beat next year.

But, for the Okie haters that were questioning their existence this year. They bring back almost all their points with Brock, Lewellen, Rogers and Jacobe. But, add in Fix, Gdfeller, Joe Smith and Wittlake and that's an impressive bunch waiting in the wings.

Last edited:
I'm honestly not trying to be a di*k but we've discussed this for a few years now. Everyone knows we needed a change in philosophy, now it's a matter of how to get the true blue chippers in the black & gold. Donate that $ and get the facilities built! Fund HWC like no other and lets get this f*n started asap.

What is the roster limit? Sorenson is the only departing starter so we are bringing back a good crew when adding Warner, Murin and Lugo to a bunch of AAs

I agree with your whole post, except the proclamation that Penn State and Bael are playing by the rules.
Playing "with" the rules, not playing "by" the rules......as in, Sandusky was playing "with" his athletes, not "by" his athletes. Big difference.

Words matter. ;)

So if we have 9 or 10 AA with 3-4 possible champs in the mix for the next three years I would think we are in pretty awesome shape and :cool: Hmmmm that’s what we have let’s break it down again..
125- THE MAN= champ
133- ? There is talk of stuff in the works maybe Murin he is another young gun super talent= AA could be off here but I think we will have a solid 133 for next year.
141- Turk has already shown he has the goods or he is beat out by one of the other guys either way we are looking at a 3-6 placer for next season.
149- Lugo I think is a title contender I’m sure his time at Iowa gets him in the conversation for next year 1-4 placer
157- The DAWG will have it’s day 1-3 placer
165- Bull will be healthy he will make a leap 1-2 placer
174- Young will be the man he is another young guns guy that needs size and strength he will AA
184- there will be a battle here Wilke/Bowman either one will be an AA for next couple of seasons.
197- Warner I think we have something really special here a year of maturity under his belt I see a champ 1-3 placer no question imo.
285- Stoll or Big Cass will be a high AA
This is how I see it with no new guys for the next 2 seasons then a couple of changes and there will be some top signings bank it....

Two points

1) my only gripe for next year is if we don't have the several weight in question somewhat figured out for next year! In other words. Whatever plan you have as coaches. Get it going! 33? How are you going to upgrade? Don't care if it is Murin or someone else coming down. A mystery man coming in? Whatever!

74- Young bulking up, Bowman cutting down? 84- Wilcke cutting, bowman bulking? Nothing against any other wrestlers like Gunther or Glynn. I would be all for you having a break out year but we need AA type fire power!

As Grip pointed out, We should be in this next year! Would be a shame to be a couple of horses away again!

2) On the matter of recruiting. It is either a "gray area" or it is illegal. I also put this on the coaches! We know something is going on because several people have pointed it out including Coach Brands making a statement about it!

If it is a gray area and for whatever reason our compliance dept. is not allowing Iowa to go there. Then I don't know what you do? fire them and get new people who will?:D You have to be able to compete on a level playing field!

If it is illegal, then why is the NCAA not shutting it down? Is it just going to be a matter of time?

So if we have 9 or 10 AA with 3-4 possible champs in the mix for the next three years I would think we are in pretty awesome shape and :cool: Hmmmm that’s what we have let’s break it down again..
125- THE MAN= champ
133- ? There is talk of stuff in the works maybe Murin he is another young gun super talent= AA could be off here but I think we will have a solid 133 for next year.
141- Turk has already shown he has the goods or he is beat out by one of the other guys either way we are looking at a 3-6 placer for next season.
149- Lugo I think is a title contender I’m sure his time at Iowa gets him in the conversation for next year 1-4 placer
157- The DAWG will have it’s day 1-3 placer
165- Bull will be healthy he will make a leap 1-2 placer
174- Young will be the man he is another young guns guy that needs size and strength he will AA
184- there will be a battle here Wilke/Bowman either one will be an AA for next couple of seasons.
197- Warner I think we have something really special here a year of maturity under his belt I see a champ 1-3 placer no question imo.
285- Stoll or Big Cass will be a high AA
This is how I see it with no new guys for the next 2 seasons then a couple of changes and there will be some top signings bank it....

Incredibly optimistic lmao...

125-I agree. Only one that threatens him is Fix if he goes 125
133-Best case scenario for Murin is a low level AA IF he can get down to 133
141-You must see something I don't if you think Turk will AA at one of the best weights in the country
149-Lugo is a title contender if Yianni doesn't go up to 149
157-Best case scenario is 2nd place. Only way there's a shot of winning is if Nolf is hurt.
165-Marinelli should be in the mid level AA range. Realistically 3-6. He seems like the type of style where it is easier to wrestle him a second time because of his great hip defense.
174-Nothing Young has showed proves he can beat enough quality wrestlers to be a AA next year.
184-Wilcke would be good here. Rd. of 12 guy at his floor. Mid range AA at his ceiling.
197-Warner could compete for a National title right away. It's a pretty weak weight that graduates the top two finishers.
285-Accepting the fact that Stoll will not change his style. Don't see him winning a national title if he just tries to push guys. Especially with Jordan Wood getting better and the Minnesota guy coming in

Reactions: OldHawkFan
It's always about recruiting in today's day and age...in every sport. Boise in football and Wisky in basketball are nice stories but there is a reason Alabama is Alabama and Duke is Duke.

141-You must see something I don't if you think Turk will AA at one of the best weights in the country
157-Best case scenario is 2nd place. Only way there's a shot of winning is if Nolf is hurt.
165-Marinelli should be in the mid level AA range. Realistically 3-6. He seems like the type of style where it is easier to wrestle him a second time because of his great hip defense.
174-Nothing Young has showed proves he can beat enough quality wrestlers to be a AA next year.
184-Wilcke would be good here. Rd. of 12 guy at his floor. Mid range AA at his ceiling.
197-Warner could compete for a National title right away. It's a pretty weak weight that graduates the top two finishers.
285-Accepting the fact that Stoll will not change his style. Don't see him winning a national title if he just tries to push guys. Especially with Jordan Wood getting better and the Minnesota guy coming in

Do the math with your above results.
25 Champ with a ton of bonus 25
33 you have low AA 15
41 give me 5 by what you say(i would guess more)
49 Lugo 20
52 Kemerer 20
65 Bull You have low(I say he wins it) but say 15
74 young was a 65 wrestling 74, give me 10
84 AA 15
97 Champ say 20
Hvy High AA a lot of bonus 20

I have that as 165! You could say it is a little high in some places. I would say it is a little low.

Reactions: Dagboi and Grip220
Do the math with your above results.
25 Champ with a ton of bonus 25
33 you have low AA 15
41 give me 5 by what you say(i would guess more)
49 Lugo 20
52 Kemerer 20
65 Bull You have low(I say he wins it) but say 15
74 young was a 65 wrestling 74, give me 10
84 AA 15
97 Champ say 20
Hvy High AA a lot of bonus 20

I have that as 165! You could say it is a little high in some places. I would say it is a little low.

You're insane if you think 165 team points for Iowa next year is a little low.

125-Agree
133-Best case scenario is a low-level AA finish. Still don't know if Murin will even get down here
141-Turk has showed nothing that he can score more than a handful of points at the NCAA's
149-Considering Lugo has never AA'd before, it's bold to predict 20 points which is what a typical champion would score.
157-Kemerer between 15-20. 20 is absolute best case scenario or if Nolf is hurt.
165-The weight class isn't much easier. I could see him improving from 13 points to somewhere around 17. I know everyone here is biased so I would bet the house he will not win it next year.
174-10 points is typical of a rd. of 12 guy. That would exceed what I'd expect of Young.
184-Wilcke between 10-15. Low level AA
197- 20 seems good
285- 15-20

Best case: 150
Worst case: 100

Reactions: Pat_Pendleton

Ok and yes I lean towards optimism.

You're insane if you think 165 team points for Iowa next year is a little low.

125-Agree
133-Best case scenario is a low-level AA finish. Still don't know if Murin will even get down here
141-Turk has showed nothing that he can score more than a handful of points at the NCAA's
149-Considering Lugo has never AA'd before, it's bold to predict 20 points which is what a typical champion would score.
157-Kemerer between 15-20. 20 is absolute best case scenario or if Nolf is hurt.
165-The weight class isn't much easier. I could see him improving from 13 points to somewhere around 17. I know everyone here is biased so I would bet the house he will not win it next year.
174-10 points is typical of a rd. of 12 guy. That would exceed what I'd expect of Young.
184-Wilcke between 10-15. Low level AA
197- 20 seems good
285- 15-20

Best case: 150
Worst case: 100
I will take this best case TY

I will take this best case TY
Hey, this year it was us "best case" guys who turned out to be on the nose. And that's with Kem, Sorensen, and Bull hitting their floors instead of their ceilings. Bottom line, the Hawkeyes showed up in Cleveland.

Given that, I have no problem buying into "best case" again next season, as the odds are we will only get better at every weight.

Thanks! It does have some "pop" to it, doesn't it? The straight-up shoutout to mom, pop, Jody, and his girl, even as the kid is just barely getting his hand raised. Superman knows what's what.
(Props to Franisdaman for providing the photo, btw. I had captured it from another angle from the broadcast, but I just couldn't resist the big "SPENCER LEE" in bold, capital letters in the background.)

(Props to Franisdaman for providing the photo, btw. I had captured it from another angle from the broadcast, but I just couldn't resist the big "SPENCER LEE" in bold, capital letters in the background.)

Didn't even notice the text until you pointed it out. It's perfect.

Reactions: Dagboi
I have been a long time student of the sport and like to think I know what I am talking about. After returning from Nationals - one thing is evident. Recruiting wins championships.

Cael Sanderson is not coaching Hall, Nickel, Retherford, and Nolf. These are world champs. Just like, Brands, Koll and Smith are not coaching Spencer, Warner, Yianni, and Fix. These kids are already way ahead of their time and they are true "freaks." One thing is for sure, the future of USA wrestling is bright. These coaches are providing a good environment for the kids, keeping them out of trouble and making sure their heads are right.

How PSU and tOSU are recruiting is unheard of. They are obviously playing with the rules. No question about it. If its legal, Iowa and the Okies need to figure it out.

This win for Spencer was HUGE. It will start a new chapter for the Hawkeyes but, let's be clear, Kemerer is an amazing talent as well. It will be very tough to keep Yianni and Spencer off the 2020 world team - throw in Fix if he can make weight with a 2 hour weigh in.

Iowa needs to KEEP recruiting athletes. Not just brawlers. Look what Spencer did to Suriano. We need more Kemerers, Lees, and Warners. Once Marinelli gets more technical - he will be in the bunch as well.

But, these tournaments are won in the recruiting game and Iowa needs to keep picking it up. As we can see by these results, the effort in recruiting is paying off. A credit to Morningstar but I would like to see Perry on the trail as well.

But, for the Okie haters that were questioning their existence this year. They bring back almost all their points with Brock, Lewellen, Rogers and Jacobe. But, add in Fix, Gdfeller, Joe Smith and Wittlake and that's an impressive bunch waiting in the wings.
You lost me on your second paragraph--If you think that these coaches are not getting these great recruits better--you are way of mark!
with blue chippers you have more to work with to start but to say coaches are not making them better is just foolish.

Reactions: winwithhumility
The whole Seth Gross thing was huge and the fact that we didn’t have him this year made things look than what they were intended to be...

The kid scored 24 points on his own...that would have put us within 11-12 points of Ohio State...hats our guy, dammit!!!

You lost me on your second paragraph--If you think that these coaches are not getting these great recruits better--you are way of mark!
with blue chippers you have more to work with to start but to say coaches are not making them better is just foolish.
How did Whitmer win. Gable didn't coach him to the NCAA title?

It is simple math that works every year. The teams with the most top ten recruits (or there abouts) on their roster wins.
1) PSU.......(9,3,4,5,1,7,5)
2) OH St....(10,8,8,1,6,1,4,1)

3) Iowa......(1,,8,2,)
Then it drops off considerably. Most teams do not have any top ten overall recruits on their roster. Some may have one or two.

Reactions: Dagboi

You made it to the second paragraph?

Reactions: tabenn

Agree!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT