ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting the Quad Cities

chaneccooms

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
It’s nice to see that the staff seems to be emphasizing the Quad Cities more in their recruiting, with Nimmers on the roster, Harding and Freeman (not originally a QC kid, but still) coming next year, and Caden Wilkins a key target for 2024.

Some great Hawkeyes like Don Nelson, Acie Earl, Ricky Davis and Nicholas Baer were from the QCs, but a lot of great players from the area have gotten away, too. Guys like Chasson Randle, DJ Carton, Ethan Happ, Tyler Hall, Isaiah Roby, Liam Robbins and others come to mind.

Having a strong foothold in the Quad Cities can only be beneficial for the future of Iowa basketball.

Wilkins is really intriguing and appears to be blowing up….if he’s as good as his recent performance has shown we hopefully get him on board.

Big strong 6’6” kid that’s pretty athletic and fairly skilled….2G or Sf?

Reactions: Sheahawk and IAGuy
Evidently, Dixon IL is now a part of the QC. (Roby is from Dixon, IL about 65 miles from the QC)

Is it? Kane county doesnt have one?
Probably not at the level that QC Elite was at the time. To play at a higher level he'd have to go play for one of the Chicago based teams. I think Roby was also working with a trainer in the QC area so that is also a reason he played with them. Chasson Randle, who played at Rocky, played for the Illinois Wolves back in the day and they are based out of Chicago.

Reactions: torbee
Probably not at the level that QC Elite was at the time. To play at a higher level he'd have to go play for one of the Chicago based teams. I think Roby was also working with a trainer in the QC area so that is also a reason he played with them. Chasson Randle, who played at Rocky, played for the Illinois Wolves back in the day and they are based out of Chicago.

Alright we will claim him.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Travis Wilson. He was a good duo with Ian Hannifan back in the day. Good battles with Joey Range and Rod Thompson at Wharton.
Traves Wilson. not to be picky. Looked him up today to verify my story. Not much of a career. Transferred from AZ to Ill St. Was highly recruited, I believe, back in the day. Iowa wanted him. AZ won.

Just for the point of history.......Bill Seaberg (Moline H.S.)
and Sharm Scheuerman (Rock Island H.S.) were starting
guards on the Hawkeyes "Fab Five" team who made it
to two Final Fours in the NCAA Tournament in mid 1950's.

Bottom Line: The Quad Cities has been good to Hawkeyes

Reactions: Sexican
Just for the point of history.......Bill Seaberg (Moline H.S.)
and Sharm Scheuerman (Rock Island H.S.) were starting
guards on the Hawkeyes "Fab Five" team who made it
to two Final Fours in the NCAA Tournament in mid 1950's.

Bottom Line: The Quad Cities has been good to Hawkeyes
100 years ago.....

Another QC area player of “recent” note was Pete Mikael of Rock Island. Great college player at Cincinnati and a fine NBA career as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT