ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
I know there has been a lot of negative talk so far this year on Iowa's recruiting and some key misses. I however think Iowa is stringing together 3 solid to great classes together with the key class being 2021. When Iowa typically does this great things happen 2-3years from that key class which is 2021 in this case. I think Iowa is going to have some good seasons these next two but could really have some great teams in 2023 and 2024. Here is why.

Iowa starting this string off in 2020 with a class that brought in some guys we are starting to see break through already. Richman at OL is looking like a future great at OT. Black at DT is receiving some high praise already as well. Add in DL guys like Craig and Van Ness who have already cracked two deeps with DL high end recruit Logan Jones and Iowa really loaded up on DL in this class. Back to offense you have Richman as the highlight so far but Volk and Elsbury are breaking through as well on the OL. Both Gavin and Leshon Williams have shown some serious talent at RB so far and both project well in another year or two. Luke Lachey is breaking through at TE. Hogan is a high end QB recruit. LB, WR, and DB are really the only three position groups that we haven't seen much from yet. However LB Higgins is making a push currently.

2021 was a big recruiting year for Iowa Football. Iowa really loaded up with OL here. Colby is already breaking through at RT. Combined with '20 Richman that gives Iowa two top end OT's that are ahead of schedule and showing serious promise. Davidkov another OT was a high end recruit that when healthy is also making progress early. Iowa also addressed WR in this class with Johnson, Bruce and Brecht. Johnson and Bruce are already breaking through and could have the highest ceilings we've seen for WR's during the KF era. On D Iowa added a good DL recruit in Llewellyn who is already impressing coaches. Iowa also addressed LB with top end guys Sullivan and Harrell. At DB they got a steal in DeJean but still have ??'s at CB. Between '20 and '21 only CB really hasn't been addressed yet.

Now comes 2022. Things have gone slow but it has also been pretty slow for every B1G West team outside of maybe Northwestern. Still Iowa has so far backed up the '2020 RB Williams duo with four star RB Patterson and added to a now very deep and young RB pool. They also grabbed an under the radar QB recruit in May that is highly though of. Bostick is a highly regarded WR adding yet another talented WR to a deep pool from 2021-2022. Over on D Iowa continues to build amazing DL depth with mega recruit Graves as well as highly regarded DE Crawford. There are some holes at LB depth and DB depth with CB being a potential concern in 2023 and 2024. However Iowa is looking very good at RB, WR, TE, OL, and DL and very solid at LB. Iowa needs to close 2022 with some depth at LB and several bodies at DB. If they can do that there is some serious talent on this roster heading toward the 2023 and 2024 seasons. 2022 might not be all that flashy but it's about filling out some holes on the roster right now.

The 2023 class will need to be like 2021 to keep the bus rolling and bring in a decade of dominance for Iowa in the B1G West. Overall with our current roster and these three classes I can see some great seasons for Iowa over these next 4 maybe 5.

Last edited:
I know there has been a lot of negative talk so far this year on Iowa's recruiting and some key misses. I however think Iowa is stringing together 3 solid to great classes together with the key class being 2021. When Iowa typically does this great things happen 2-3years from that key class which is 2021 in this case. I think Iowa is going to have some good seasons these next two but could really have some great teams in 2023 and 2024. Here is why.

Iowa starting this string off in 2020 with a class that brought in some guys we are starting to see break through already. Richman at OL is looking like a future great at OT. Black at DT is receiving some high praise already as well. Add in DL guys like Craig and Van Ness who have already cracked two deeps with DL high end recruit Logan Jones and Iowa really loaded up on DL in this class. Back to offense you have Richman as the highlight so far but Volk and Elsbury are breaking through as well on the OL. Both Gavin and Leshon Williams have shown some serious talent at RB so far and both project well in another year or two. Luke Lachey is breaking through at TE. Hogan is a high end QB recruit. LB, WR, and DB are really the only three position groups that we haven't seen much from yet. However LB Higgins is making a push currently.

2021 was a big recruiting year for Iowa Football. Iowa really loaded up with OL here. Colby is already breaking through at RT. Combined with '20 Richman that gives Iowa two top end OT's that are ahead of schedule and showing serious promise. Davidkov another OT was a high end recruit that when healthy is also making progress early. Iowa also addressed WR in this class with Johnson, Bruce and Brecht. Johnson and Bruce are already breaking through and could have the highest ceilings we've seen for WR's during the KF era. On D Iowa added a good DL recruit in Llewellyn who is already impressing coaches. Iowa also addressed LB with top end guys Sullivan and Harrell. At DB they got a steal in DeJean but still have ??'s at CB. Between '20 and '21 only CB really hasn't been addressed yet.

Now comes 2022. Things have gone slow but it has also been pretty slow for every B1G West team outside of maybe Northwestern. Still Iowa has so far backed up the '2020 RB Williams duo with four star RB Patterson and added to a now very deep and young RB pool. They also grabbed an under the radar QB recruit in May that is highly though of. Bostick is a highly regarded WR adding yet another talented WR to a deep pool from 2021-2022. Over on D Iowa continues to build amazing DL depth with mega recruit Graves as well as highly regarded DE Crawford. There are some holes at LB depth and DB depth with CB being a potential concern in 2023 and 2024. However Iowa is looking very good at RB, WR, TE, OL, and DL and very solid at LB. Iowa needs to close 2022 with some depth at LB and several bodies at DB. If they can do that there is some serious talent on this roster heading toward the 2023 and 2024 seasons. 2022 might not be all that flashy but it's about filling out some holes on the roster right now.

The 2023 class will need to be like 2021 to keep the bus rolling and bring in a decade of dominance for Iowa in the B1G West. Overall with our current roster and these three classes I can see some great seasons for Iowa over these next 4 maybe 5.

Well done. I agree with everything. 2022 is set up to be a special season.

Reactions: supahawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT