ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

You realize that a post like this swings the door open to the ‘better than getting pinned by an old man in the shower’ type of responses don’t you? Be better.
That kind of response is only slightly more cerebral than challenging some guy on the internet to a fight. Both are scraping the bottom of the intellect and maturity barrel.

which Iowa coach is likeable to children?

These are intense, intimidating guys. TNT probably scare most kids who are over age 5 (but more than anything I wanna see a two year old hand terry a pretend phone. No one can refuse to answer it. Even the most intense people).

that’s not to say TNT aren’t nice. I am just saying at 12 years old, they would have scared me and most people.
You aren’t far off. The best thing about them at 12 was that they usually just beat on each other. That probably was a good thing.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof

These are intense, intimidating guys. TNT probably scare most kids who are over age 5 (but more than anything I wanna see a two year old hand terry a pretend phone. No one can refuse to answer it. Even the most intense people).

that’s not to say TNT aren’t nice. I am just saying at 12 years old, they would have scared me and most people.
When I was 12, all wrestling coaches scared me, but I trusted the fair ones. Wrestling coaches aren't there to make you happy. They are there to make you better, and that's what I needed. TnT are fair and will make anyone a better wrestler.

Ok Ok, I deleted the post. I'm sorry. I thought it may derail the "old man match" discussion into something different. I guess in that I succeeded but in a far cry from what was intended.
Fair enough. Much appreciated!

That's only because you don't actually know them. They're great with kids.

you clearly haven't actually been around them in a coaching situation. tom was a clinician at a camp i went to as a kid and was great. all the kids loved him. super nice and funny. laid back too.

you clearly haven't actually been around them in a coaching situation. tom was a clinician at a camp i went to as a kid and was great. all the kids loved him. super nice and funny. laid back too.
Not to mention Morningstar who’s one of the most genuine human beings you’ll ever meet and relates incredibly well with youngsters.

With Ryan's health issue last year why not shift Mariah Marinelli over to Women's Operation's then shift Ryan into Men's Operation mode then get new Assistant for middle to upper weights. His recruiting asset is still utilized while protecting his health while also getting different look on mat in room with new assistant. Better able flex everyone's strengths while adapting and changing. Room for everyone.

@pawrestlersintn if you would have immediately gone off on your elitist rant about emotional intelligence, I could have respected it. Now you just come off looking like a bitch, and confirm my opinion of you.
I snapped a picture of a meter that I carry around with me. My level of concern over the opinion of a random guy on the internet that immediately challenges me to a physical altercation, because he can't think of anything else:
https://tenor.com/beWgz.gif

Reactions: PhilaNit
With Ryan's health issue last year why not shift Mariah Marinelli over to Women's Operation's then shift Ryan into Men's Operation mode then get new Assistant for middle to upper weights. His recruiting asset is still utilized while protecting his health while also getting different look on mat in room with new assistant. Better able flex everyone's strengths while adapting and changing. Room for everyone.
Ryan makes a heck of a lot more than Moriah.

Reactions: Gobblin
Whatever the hell it takes to keep Ryan and add Daughg please!

Ryan makes a heck of a lot more than Moriah.
I'm sure Ryan makes 100k more than Moriah but its about making team better. I'm not in room. I don't have inside info. I do see the need for increased scrambling and offensive skills in our middles. Stingy defense, heavy on head, and hard riding is great but being able to create own offense is just as important.

Whatever the hell it takes to keep Ryan and add Daughg please!
Would love this move! i would also like to see someone like Marinelli team up with another former hawk (maybe McDonough or someone with similar coaching experience) get a top notch youth club/program with direct Uof I connections going around Cedar Rapids/IC or Quad Cities. Take the David Taylor/M2 approach

10000% never been around them. You’re right.

it was a tongue in cheek comment as I am actually a TNT fan. But it’s a little like how Bill Belichick coaching pop Warner would be a weird sight.

Reactions: Gobblin and el dub
Would love this move! i would also like to see someone like Marinelli team up with another former hawk (maybe McDonough or someone with similar coaching experience) get a top notch youth club/program with direct Uof I connections going around Cedar Rapids/IC or Quad Cities. Take the David Taylor/M2 approach
McDonough already has a club in the Cedar Rapids area. Plus you have Big Game in North Liberty and Eastern Iowa Wrestling Club run by former Hawk Topher Carton. Further west, is Agoge run by several former Hawks (Trizzino, Grothus and a few others) and then Young Guns has a club in the QC run by Juergens (I believe he still runs it). All good clubs with good coaching and connections to Iowa, so it would be hard to start something new in the area in my opinion and expect to draw a lot of kids.

I wonder if Alex could land as an assistant on the women’s team…? Or Jaydin? Or Kem?

I think Jaydin will be full time HWC training when he recovers from his surgery though.

Reactions: johnyt9
McDonough already has a club in the Cedar Rapids area. Plus you have Big Game in North Liberty and Eastern Iowa Wrestling Club run by former Hawk Topher Carton. Further west, is Agoge run by several former Hawks (Trizzino, Grothus and a few others) and then Young Guns has a club in the QC run by Juergens (I believe he still runs it). All good clubs with good coaching and connections to Iowa, so it would be hard to start something new in the area in my opinion and expect to draw a lot of kids.
Oh thats great to hear. I'm not in the state anymore and I've only really heard of Big game and Sebolt as big Clubs in Iowa. And the main reason I mentioned this was because of the supposed bad blood between big game and TnT. I know that M2 gets a lot of kids from all over PA because they grew up watching and idolizing DT (not to mention I'm sure hes a great coach). I feel like it would help to get some of our recent studs involved in coaching at the youth level to help in the regard as well. Not that the guys you mentioned aren't great, but a lot of kids likely won't know who they are (except for Brody Grothus of course)

Hopefully some of theses recent grads can help add to the coaching pool at these clubs and give more exposure to them and keep the buy-in with young athletes.

Oh thats great to hear. I'm not in the state anymore and I've only really heard of Big game and Sebolt as big Clubs in Iowa. And the main reason I mentioned this was because of the supposed bad blood between big game and TnT. I know that M2 gets a lot of kids from all over PA because they grew up watching and idolizing DT (not to mention I'm sure hes a great coach). I feel like it would help to get some of our recent studs involved in coaching at the youth level to help in the regard as well. Not that the guys you mentioned aren't great, but a lot of kids likely won't know who they are (except for Brody Grothus of course)

Hopefully some of theses recent grads can help add to the coaching pool at these clubs and give more exposure to them and keep the buy-in with young athletes.
This. Big Game has done nothing but talk down about Iowa and it trickles down to their athletes. It would be a big benefit for someone like McD/Marinelli/Kem to get an elite club going in the area.

This. Big Game has done nothing but talk down about Iowa and it trickles down to their athletes. It would be a big benefit for someone like McD/Marinelli/Kem to get an elite club going in the area.
What has Big Game said against Iowa/TNT? Thanks in advance

What has Big Game said against Iowa/TNT? Thanks in advance
Basically everything that’s been said to negatively recruit against Iowa, they’ve also said. Only difference is that they are a youth club 10 minutes up the road. It sucks but it is what it is.

Basically everything that’s been said to negatively recruit against Iowa, they’ve also said. Only difference is that they are a youth club 10 minutes up the road. It sucks but it is what it is.

As someone who grew up in the area, awesome to see the club highlighted and the facilty…hurts seeing the PSU mention though.

ADVERTISEMENT