ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Is Fran and company done with 2023 recruiting and focused on 2024? I thought Donnie Freeman might be a Texas lean but with all the turmoil with their coach being fired, who knows. Maryland and Rutgers will be hard to beat but he can see what the Murray twins playing power forward have done at Iowa. He and Cooper would make a solid start to the class. Bummer about Rock but it is early.

Is Fran and company done with 2023 recruiting and focused on 2024? I thought Donnie Freeman might be a Texas lean but with all the turmoil with their coach being fired, who knows. Maryland and Rutgers will be hard to beat but he can see what the Murray twins playing power forward have done at Iowa. He and Cooper would make a solid start to the class. Bummer about Rock but it is early.
I would imagine they are done with high school recruits for 2023. My guess (hope) is they’ll have a couple open scholarships to hit the transfer portal with in the spring. I would love to see what Fran can do with some NIL money. It’s a shame Iowa’s NIL wasn’t in place last year because this team is one big and one point guard away from being really good.

Donnie Freeman is a 2024 recruit. They are still recruiting him from my understanding.

And yeah I think they are done for now on 2023 until the off-season. If there's some departures than they may look at a late signee or more likely look into the portal. I personally think they'll look to the portal for a big man at the very least. Hopefully with the collective we will be able to get more traction.

Reactions: skydog0784
Donnie Freeman is a 2024 recruit. They are still recruiting him from my understanding.

And yeah I think they are done for now on 2023 until the off-season. If there's some departures than they may look at a late signee or more likely look into the portal. I personally think they'll look to the portal for a big man at the very least. Hopefully with the collective we will be able to get more traction.
I know Freeman is the 24 class. That is why I said he and Cooper would make a solid start to the 2024 class.

I would imagine they are done with high school recruits for 2023. My guess (hope) is they’ll have a couple open scholarships to hit the transfer portal with in the spring. I would love to see what Fran can do with some NIL money. It’s a shame Iowa’s NIL wasn’t in place last year because this team is one big and one point guard away from being really good.
I think you could say that about almost every team.

Reactions: Jprimus
Is Fran and company done with 2023 recruiting

I think I heard or read somewhere that Iowa will definitely be working the portal.....take that for a rumor for what it's worth.

We currently have NO scholarships available for the 2023 class. This, of course, will change as players come and go via the Transfer Portal or leave early for the NBA Draft.

In Men's basketball, of course, you can have 13 on scholarship.

ONE ADDITIONAL THING TO MONITOR: due to covid-19, 2020-2021 was considered a "free year" by the NCAA. So, anyone listed below as Seniors could potentially play/graduate a year later than CURRENTLY expected; however, THEY COUNT towards the 13 scholarship limit.

2023-2024 Roster (13 on Scholarship; 0 scholarships available):

FRESHMEN: 4 players

6"10" C Owen Freeman

6'0" PG Brock Harding

6'7" SF Pryce Sandfort

6'8" PF Ladji Dembele

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

SENIORS: 5 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

4 Notable Walk on players:

SENIORS: 1 player

Dante Eldridge (assistant coach Courtney Eldridge's son)--has played 2 years (through 2022) in college, first at William Penn & then Kirkwood CC; a 5'9"combo guard; on May 5, 2022, it was announced that he would be joining the Iowa roster as a walk on.

JUNIORS: 1 player

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; on May 13, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

SOPHOMORES: 1 players

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; on July 10, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on. Carter ended up redshirting the 2021-2022 season so he is now scheduled to graduate in 2026.

FRESHMEN: 1 player

Amarion Nimmers--a 2022 6'3" combo guard; on April 30, 2022, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on. On Nov 14, 2022, it was announced that Amarion would redshirt during the 2022-2023 season so he is now scheduled to graduate in 2027.

I have no inside information on Freeman but looks like we are in his top 5 at this time and he visited on 15 September so maybe a 20-30% chance we could land him? Freeman and Koch would set us up for a great class for 2024.

I think I heard or read somewhere that Iowa will definitely be working the portal.....take that for a rumor for what it's worth.
I hope so. We could clearly use a veteran post player to take over for Rebraca for a year while Feeeman and Dembele get some experience (And because neither Ogundele or Mulvey appear ready to take over that role.)

I hope that having an empty spot makes it easier to land a transfer this year. I think the top thing transfers are looking for is immediate playing time. And the existence of a returning starter in the center position hurt us last year.

Fran has two schollies currently. Will Kingsbury or Nimmers have their second semester paid for?

Fran has two schollies currently. Will Kingsbury or Nimmers have their second semester paid for?
The Big Ten frowns upon scholarships not being renewed. So no, they won't be on scholarship because as of now, next year's scholarships are filled until Kris declares and we see who enters the portal.

We currently have NO scholarships available for the 2023 class. This, of course, will change as players come and go via the Transfer Portal or leave early for the NBA Draft.

In Men's basketball, of course, you can have 13 on scholarship.

ONE ADDITIONAL THING TO MONITOR: due to covid-19, 2020-2021 was considered a "free year" by the NCAA. So, anyone listed below as Seniors could potentially play/graduate a year later than CURRENTLY expected; however, THEY COUNT towards the 13 scholarship limit.

2023-2024 Roster (13 on Scholarship; 0 scholarships available):

FRESHMEN: 4 players

6"10" C Owen Freeman

6'0" PG Brock Harding

6'7" SF Pryce Sandfort

6'8" PF Ladji Dembele

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

SENIORS: 5 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

4 Notable Walk on players:

SENIORS: 1 player

Dante Eldridge (assistant coach Courtney Eldridge's son)--has played 2 years (through 2022) in college, first at William Penn & then Kirkwood CC; a 5'9"combo guard; on May 5, 2022, it was announced that he would be joining the Iowa roster as a walk on.

JUNIORS: 1 player

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; on May 13, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

SOPHOMORES: 1 players

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; on July 10, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on. Carter ended up redshirting the 2021-2022 season so he is now scheduled to graduate in 2026.

FRESHMEN: 1 player

Amarion Nimmers--a 2022 6'3" combo guard; on April 30, 2022, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on. On Nov 14, 2022, it was announced that Amarion would redshirt during the 2022-2023 season so he is now scheduled to graduate in 2027.
Kris Murray will be elsewhere next season so one scholarship open.

Reactions: Bishop1971 and Torg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT