ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits are coming to town this weekend

Even crazier, where does Brands even fit in? With talk of Rocky Jordan having to go up to 184 to possibly make tOSU's lineup, it looks like a very similar situation for Brands.

I would say that 157 would be his quickest path to starting(Kemerer would still be a Senior the year after Brands redshirts) , but can he get down that far and be healthy? If not, he would have Marinelli and Young in his way for at least 2 seasons at 165 and 174. Hidlay could be a roadblock at 174 or 184.

Reactions: MogueHawk
Well let's hope Sasso is coming in for the 2nd recruiting weekend then. My guess is he's no longer considering Iowa, or Iowa is no longer considering him though.

Even crazier, where does Brands even fit in? With talk of Rocky Jordan having to go up to 184 to possibly make tOSU's lineup, it looks like a very similar situation for Brands.

I would say that 157 would be his quickest path to starting(Kemerer would still be a Senior the year after Brands redshirts) , but can he get down that far and be healthy? If not, he would have Marinelli and Young in his way for at least 2 seasons at 165 and 174. Hidlay could be a roadblock at 174 or 184.
I Fully expect Brands to have a similar career to Alex Meyer. Won't start til his junior year and a fringe AA.

Well let's hope Sasso is coming in for the 2nd recruiting weekend then. My guess is he's no longer considering Iowa, or Iowa is no longer considering him though.
Has there ever been confirmation that he is actually considering Iowa or was ever planning on taking a visit?

So he might only start for 2-3 years? Oh, the horror.

Also, this won't be the only recruiting weekend of the season. So if someone doesn't come it is hardly a huge deal.

I always figured Brands to be a 157 anyway.

I think Nelson Brands and HOPEFULLY Connor Brady(#7 p4p 2019)...(or another elite middleweight) will be our future 157/165 combo, post Kemerer/Marinelli. Nelson might be a 2 year starter regardless. Brady could go 157 as a RS FR in 2021 after Kemerer, which would be Marinelli's SR year. Then either Brady or Brands could go 165 after Marinelli and the other guy goes 157. Hopefully both are not 165's.

I don't think getting a 149 is a HUGE need this class (133 is the most essential need, 184 being secondary, HWT was 2nd most important until we got Cass), though it would be nice with all of the 149 talent. But we have a lot of flexibility in this weight range right now, with Lugo through 2020. There is also the possibility that Murin grows into a 149. I know it was mentioned he would be 133/141, but I have heard that he is too big for 133 and is strictly 141, from pretty reliable sources. I hadn't considered him for 133 before I saw that article, but prior to that I was always thinking 141/149. I'm pretty high on Murin and I think he is going to be very good for us. I'm interesting to see how the dynamic at 141 plays out, as it wouldn't shock me to see Murin take the spot from Turk in 2019 and 2020. Then he either could go up to 149 if thats the plan, or he could stay the course at 141 and then we recruit a class of 2019 149 lber. If the staffs plan is for him to take over 149 after Lugo, then recruit a class of 2019 141 lber.

All just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
I agree that 149 is not a huge need in this class. We have Lugo for 2 years. Sasso is good, but I also don't think he's a huge can't miss guy.

In next years class there are 3 141/149 guys in the top 20 of the recruiting big board. I don't know much about these guys other than their recruiting ranking. They are similarly ranked to Sasso, and maybe we are targeting one of them next year.
Theorius Robison - Colorado
Matt Olguin - California
Ryan Vulakh - PA

Reactions: LaxHawk174
So he might only start for 2-3 years? Oh, the horror.

Also, this won't be the only recruiting weekend of the season. So if someone doesn't come it is hardly a huge deal.

It wasn't said as a bad thing. It was just very surprising to realize how hard it will be to crack that weight range in the lineup and it is even harder to imaging Nelson not starting for 1/2 of his career. He is a Brands after all and I am sure a large portion of Hawkeye fans would like to see him take the mat at NCAA's all 4 years!

Nelson is just like his father and uncle on his feet. Always looking to score and crazy big gas tank. Also likes to hand fight. Need some improvement on top and on the mat. Nelson does great job getting out form bottom but hasn't show much on top.

Nelson is just like his father and uncle on his feet. Always looking to score and crazy big gas tank. Also likes to hand fight. Need some improvement on top and on the mat. Nelson does great job getting out form bottom but hasn't show much on top.

Nelson would not eat up scholly $$ too, correct? All Uni personnel get free tuition for kids??

Seems to me that 133 and 184 would be the high need weights, so Teske and Hidlay fill that bill if we can land them. Brooks available next year after season in the Springs?

<<Nelsonwould not eat up scholly $$ too, correct? All Uni personnel get free tuition for kids??>>

Bob..look forward to meeting you Thurs!

Nelson is under the same rules as ANY other recruits. University of Iowa employees and coaches have no contract provisions that allow reduced tuition or free tuition.

I

<<Nelsonwould not eat up scholly $$ too, correct? All Uni personnel get free tuition for kids??>>

Nelson is under the same rules as ANY other recruits. University of Iowa employees and coaches have no contract provisions that allow reduced tuition or free tuition.

You'd have to think that it'd be in Iowa and Tom and Terry's best interest to not use team scholarship money on Nelson. If Nelson turns out to be an AA caliber wrestler who isn't using any scholarship money, that means we can invest scholarship money in more recruits, which in turn means a much higher likelihood of team championships/trophies which in turn means pay raises/career longevity for TnT.

Now an interesting question - is Tom legally allowed to help pay for Nelson's tuition? He's his uncle so he absolutely should be able to help pay. But obviously a head coach can't pay out of pocket for his athlete's tuition. How does it work in cases like this?

You'd have to think that it'd be in Iowa and Tom and Terry's best interest to not use team scholarship money on Nelson. If Nelson turns out to be an AA caliber wrestler who isn't using any scholarship money, that means we can invest scholarship money in more recruits, which in turn means a much higher likelihood of team championships/trophies which in turn means pay raises/career longevity for TnT.

Now an interesting question - is Tom legally allowed to help pay for Nelson's tuition? He's his uncle so he absolutely should be able to help pay. But obviously a head coach can't pay out of pocket for his athlete's tuition. How does it work in cases like this?

I'm guessing Terry Brands and his wife are smart people so there is probably a college fund out there that would fund Harvard if he wanted to go there.

I
Lets get that changed before next year.;)

Reactions: Huck
Is this the year where we give more money out for scholarships say to a Sasso, Hidlay, et. al.? I don't think so, next year has some beasts that we may have more focus on for the gaps. Problem is with redshirts and not getting consistent top 10 P4P studs in the room in the same lineup to have a devastating effect is hard to win in the current landscape. 2019 with the hopes of Lee, Warner, Kemerer, Lugo, Marinelli, maybe Cassioppi? PSU, OSU, Okie State are getting top talent, while ASU and other programs get experience with quality youth. Will be fun to see, I love seeing underrecruited Hawks rise to the occasion getting on that podium.

He was in the write up when I first looked at it, but I don't see him now.

So he wasn't there when Herkcy posted his original note I quoted, but he was there when I posted my response, but you are right, he has been removed again.

Maybe the OP Todd can shed some light on Teske?

This is a rather disappointing list for it being our biggest recruiting weekend of the year. Lots of big names missing. Maybe just not a lot of big names interested in the Hawks this year?

Maybe they have 2 big recruiting weekends. Iowa State has 1 coming up & another mid October

Named Iowa as his final 5 schools, it would also help bring in hidlay as they are friends.
Ah gotcha - I thought maybe it was a more recent top5 schools..he might still visit Iowa but I can tell you that that original list has shifted some since January.

Reactions: Novakht
ADVERTISEMENT