ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Recruits excited about Iowa's success

Apr 8, 2003
Any recruit's comments stand out the most to you?

rvls.co/1MDOB21

---

With Iowa sitting at 9-0 and in the top five of the new College Football Playoff rankings, Hawkeye fans are in a state of frenzy and so are many of the recruits on the radar for the Iowa coaching staff. We caught up with a number of Iowa's commits and some of their top remaining targets to get their thoughts on the Hawkeyes' new ranking, their undefeated run this season, and much more.

A.J. Epenesa, Class of 2017 defensive end - undecided

"That's amazing. I'm very happy for Coach Ferentz and the team. I hope they keep on winning and showing the Big Ten can play some football."

---

Matt Farniok, Class of 2016 offensive lineman - undecided

"I think it's pretty awesome. They have played really solid all year and I think they earned that spot."

---

Will Farniok, Class of 2018 offensive lineman - undecided

"They have been playing really well and they have earned the spot they are in right now."

---

Tristan Wirfs, Class of 2017 offensive lineman - undecided

"I think it's pretty awesome getting to see the Hawks do so well this season and make the top five. Their offense and defense are both clicking really well and that's really cool getting to see them play on Saturdays."

---

Djimon Colbert, Class of 2017 defensive back - undecided

"I'll be honest and say I wasn't expecting this coming into the year, but after watching them play a few times you can see why they are where they are. I think it's a big sell for recruits and I know they'll carry it on in the seasons coming after this one. All eyes on Iowa from here on out."

---

Colin Anderson, Class of 2017 linebacker - undecided

"They're making a name for themselves with my generation. They aren't a very flashy team and don't normally get much attention from people down here, but they sure are now. A lot of my teammates joke about them, but I'm sure Iowa will have the last laugh."

---

Shaun Beyer, Class of 2016 tight end - NDSU commit with Iowa interest

"I think it is well deserved especially with the schedule they have played this year. They didn't have it easy and have proven that they should be where they are. I am very impressed with how they are playing and I'm excited to see how they finish out the season."

---

Noah Fant, Class of 2016 tight end - Iowa commit

"I was pumped when I found out they were top ten let alone top five. I was really excited that they were 5th and have been really impressed with their season. Nobody expected the season to go like this and that makes it that much better. The team is showing that they can play injured, in big games, and through adversity."

---

Cedrick Lattimore, Class of 2016 defensive lineman - Iowa commit

"I'm proud that they are ranked in the top five and I'm proud that they are playing their hearts out every Saturday. It's good to say that next year I can be a part of something great."

---

Toren Young, Class of 2016 running back - Iowa commit

"Before the season started, I didn't know what to expect, but just watching this team every week and seeing them improve and battle through injuries shows that this is a tough team and that they have horses in the stable. They take it one week at a time and find a way. I can't wait to be a part of it."

---

Amani Hooker, Class of 2016 defensive back - Iowa commit

"It's outstanding. I knew they would be up there in the rankings and this just shows where the program is going now and it will continue with the guys we have coming in this new 2016 class. They've played great football all around, especially on the defensive end, just classic football."

---

Toks Akinribade, Class of 2016 running back - Iowa commit

"I was kind of surprised, but at the same time I'm not because Coach Ferentz turns athletes into great ones, which is showing right now. I'm excited about their season and it makes me want to work ten times harder to get ready for next year."

---

Devonte Young, Class of 2016 wide receiver - Iowa commit

"I am really impressed and proud of how far they've come. Everybody said they weren't going to be good this year, but I always had faith that we would. I told people before the season don't sleep on the Hawkeyes, we're hungry."

---

Kristian Welch, Class of 2016 tight end - Iowa commit

"It's a great time to be a Hawkeye. I am excited to join the Hawkeye family and start to contribute."

---

Chauncey Golston, Class of 2016 defensive lineman - Iowa commit

"I've been really impressed by the way the o-line has opened up holes and the running backs hit them even with injuries. I also like the eight picks by Desmond king all leading to a 9-0 start and a top five ranking."

---

Cole Banwart, Class of 2016 offensive lineman - Iowa commit

"I'm excited to come into a program that has been having all this success and hoping we can build off of it the next couple years."

---

Lance Billings, Class of 2016 defensive back - Iowa commit

"My first reaction was now who's ready to beat OSU because I believe we can do it. This season has been phenomenal for the Hawkeyes and I knew this was going to happen. I told my coach they were going to win the Big Ten Championship before the season even took off, so now I just want to see them finish stronger than ever before."

---

Spencer Williams, Class of 2016 offensive lineman - Iowa commit

"It feels really awesome. They've been working for this and deserve it all. I can't wait to see what else they achieve."

---

Nick Niemann, Class of 2016 linebacker - Iowa commit

"I was pretty surprised they were No. 5 to be honest just because they've been taking a lot of criticism lately, but I'm happy for them. They've had a great year and if they win out, they should be in pretty good shape. Ben (older brother) is doing a great job and everyone is really excited for him."

---

Barrington Wade, Class of 2016 linebacker - Iowa commit

"When I heard it, I was really excited. They told me they were making something new there and I'm thankful that I will soon be a part of it."

---

T.J. Hockenson, Class of 2016 tight end - Iowa commit

When I saw it on ESPN, I was super pumped. Just knowing I am going to be a part of the program is the best feeling and I'm proud to be a Hawkeye."

---

Coy Kirkpatrick, Class of 2017 defensive lineman - Iowa commit

"It's a huge step for the Hawkeyes. They are getting the recognition they deserve. Kirk Ferentz and the coaching staff are doing an awesome job and I hope they continue the season on a strong note."

---

Brandon Simon, Class of 2016 defensive lineman - Iowa commit

"I'm so proud to be Hawkeye, but more importantly so happy for Coach Ferentz, the staff, the players, and Hawkeye Nation. Great to see they have a legitimate shot at a Big Ten championship and a playoff bid."

---

Austin Schulte, Class of 2016 defensive lineman - Iowa commit

"I was a little surprised actually. After last year I knew they would be good, but I didn't think they would be as good as they are. I feel like they are playing together, and I think that is the main reason they are doing so well. To fight through the injuries and still be a top five team is a great accomplishment."

---

Emmanuel Rugamba, Class of 2016 defensive back - Iowa commit

"My reaction was just excitement to see the direction Coach Ferentz is taking the program and throughout the season I've just been rooting for them week in and week out. To see the success try are having motivates me to work harder this off-season to be able to perform and contribute to the team as soon as I can."

---

Romeo McKnight, Class of 2016 defensive end - Iowa commit

"Not that I could have predicted it, but I felt when I visited and talked to the coaches that there was something special that I didn't feel with any other school. That's why I didn't even wait to play my senior season and get more offers before I committed. It's crazy and hopefully they keep it up. I'm excited to be going into the program after one of its most successful years."

---

K.J. Sails, Class of 2016 defensive back - Iowa commit

"It's great to see them make that move and make progress."

---

Amani Jones, Class of 2016 linebacker - Iowa commit

"I knew my team was going to be in the top five. This is the year that they break the rock and win the Big Ten Championship."

---

Stay with HawkeyeReport.com for the latest on Iowa football recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.