ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits/Super 32

We have a kid named Garvin here in Iowa City and in the quarterfinals there that kind of reminds me of Rivera...just a more disciplined version. This sequence starting at the 2:08 mark.

I haven’t watched Garvin that much but he’s got a little Randy Lewis in him. Looking to throw his opponent to his back from his feet.

One thing you have to like about Ayala is that he's winning at a high level, but you can also still see a ton of room for growth. Some of these kids these days are such complete wrestlers by the time they graduate that it's hard to see where they get better moving forward.

What grade is Dru Ayala? Looks like he went 0-2 at 106 (did apparently beat HMA's Sam Herring in August though).

Man there are a bunch of Jordan wrestlers from OH. Another (Beric) in the cons-semis at 106.

Guy Ayala is wrestling in finals (Spratley) just recently committed to Minnesota.

Yep he's a good one. Impressive to see him break the kid at the end in the quarters. I guess most would be content to just ride a tough kid like that out and win by a couple of points.

He's looked undersized in every bout I've seen and still dominating. Looking forward to see what he turns into when a college strength coach gets a hold of him.

Reactions: Grip220
What grade is Dru Ayala? Looks like he went 0-2 at 106 (did apparently beat HMA's Sam Herring in August though).

Man there are a bunch of Jordan wrestlers from OH. Another (Beric) in the cons-semis at 106.

Guy Ayala is wrestling in finals (Spratley) just recently committed to Minnesota.
Spratley was working out with Gilman in those videos of the camp Guerrero held in OK a couple months back. That will be a good test.

Drake let up a bit in the semis and it almost cost him. Gave up two TDs and a very questionable stall point late, but held on to win 10-9. Seltzer is ranked #5 at 126, so obviously a tough kid. He’s got Spratley out of OK in the finals. #4 at 126.

Another solid win from Ayala. Showed some good stuff to his off side, but wasn't as comfortable finishing. Really liked what I saw from Spratley too. Hawks are deep at the lightweights, but wouldn't mind them stealing him from the gophers.

Big ups to drake for one bumping up to 126. He is 120 lber. Went up and beat stud after stud at 126. That’s shows heart and character. Kid is right there. Props to him and his family. Next in the long line of Iowa studs!!!

Another solid win from Ayala. Showed some good stuff to his off side, but wasn't as comfortable finishing. Really liked what I saw from Spratley too. Hawks are deep at the lightweights, but wouldn't mind them stealing him from the gophers.

Ayala likes to wrestle from space but he is damn good in the ties. Even against noticeably bigger dudes, he was controlling real estate.

Reactions: wasdt21
Ayala looked good. Will look even better with 5 more pounds of muscle in his arms and shoulders. P.S. I kept yelling at him through the computer, "Bring him all the way back to the center!" but he pretended not to hear me.
Sorry to turn this into a story about me, but I had a flashback to a match in '89 when Randy Lewis was in my corner. I kept getting to the guy's legs, then driving him off the mat. In my mind I was being "dominating" and it would eventually draw a stall call. Lewboo shouted, "Bring him all the way back to the center!" The next time I got to his legs, I dragged him all the way back to the center and finished the takedown. I thought, duh, that was the most obvious advice anyone could offer--why didn't I think of that myself? Sometimes you need obvious advice.

Okay, back to 2020. Congrats to Ayala. I'll be his cornerman anytime.

Sorry to turn this into a story about me, but I had a flashback to a match in '89 when Randy Lewis was in my corner. I kept getting to the guy's legs, then driving him off the mat. In my mind I was being "dominating" and it would eventually draw a stall call. Lewboo shouted, "Bring him all the way back to the center!" The next time I got to his legs, I dragged him all the way back to the center and finished the takedown. I thought, duh, that was the most obvious advice anyone could offer--why didn't I think of that myself? Sometimes you need obvious advice.

Okay, back to 2020. Congrats to Ayala. I'll be his cornerman anytime.
Was that in Detroit? I had a similar moment with him in my corner at the Detroit freestyle tourney in'89.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I thought he looked BIG at 126. Very talented wrestler! Super 32 was a great tournament, Saw a lot of talented wrestlers. the future looks bright. A couple wrestlers that also impressed was maybe #138, Baukais what an animal and also Tabbor MN #220. Tabbor Tall and lean will have to put on some pounds to wrestle heavy in D1 but the kid has talent. I've spent the last two days on the computer, going upstairs now to face the wife :) wonder if she wants to watch football. Also good job by Flo.

Ayala likes to wrestle from space but he is damn good in the ties. Even against noticeably bigger dudes, he was controlling real estate.
He has a kind of weird approach. He likes to be in space/on a knee and then he kind of springs forward up into his opponent right to his inside tie into his single leg series. From what I've seen he rarely actually attacks from space. I think both Seltzer and Spratley did a nice job dealing with that. Seltzer timed it for a couple doubles and caught him flat footed and Spratley did a great job of taking ground and then not giving ground when Ayala engaged.

I think moving forward, the biggest technical advancement I'd like to see is a reliable attack opposite his single, which he showed a bit in the finals, but couldn't finish. He's a really great recruit to work with.

Ayala looked good. Will look even better with 5 more pounds of muscle in his arms and shoulders. P.S. I kept yelling at him through the computer, "Bring him all the way back to the center!" but he pretended not to hear me.

Sounds like trouble if the kid won’t listen to his coaches! All thousand of them...

Really sad to have to point this out but Iowa had five guys place. Georgia had five guys in the finals.

Was very impressed by the mental toughness of a few of the kids...Jesuroga and Garvin specifically. Garvin won a lot of close matches.

Reactions: jrod65 and TarpHawk
Really sad to have to point this out but Iowa had five guys place. Georgia had five guys in the finals.

Chief,

I'm putting you in charge of getting that pipeline flowing smoothly. Besides, I kind of like the handle GAChief32. It has a nice ring to it.

Reactions: IAChief32
No hasn't even put out his list yet.Flo asked him for a list prior to finals.With Covid he has been able to go thru the process so he's not sure yet
Guy was beat arse and taking names all day. Hope the hawks are on his list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT