ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits/Super 32

Really sad to have to point this out but Iowa had five guys place. Georgia had five guys in the finals.

Was very impressed by the mental toughness of a few of the kids...Jesuroga and Garvin specifically. Garvin won a lot of close matches.

Not that I think Iowa HS wrestling is amazing, perhaps you’re being just a wee bit harsh. A lot of Iowa studs didn’t go. Long trip, high cost, pandemic, football, etc. contribute to this.

Not that I think Iowa HS wrestling is amazing, perhaps you’re being just a wee bit harsh. A lot of Iowa studs didn’t go. Long trip, high cost, pandemic, football, etc. contribute to this.
All very true. I presume the field is a bit off this year regardless, but a good showing by the Dawgs.

Reactions: HIWILLE
All very true. I presume the field is a bit off this year regardless, but a good showing by the Dawgs.
Georgia actually just has a bunch of young elite guys right now. All of their finalists were top 15 guys.

I thought he looked BIG at 126. Very talented wrestler! Super 32 was a great tournament, Saw a lot of talented wrestlers. the future looks bright. A couple wrestlers that also impressed was maybe #138, Baukais what an animal and also Tabbor MN #220. Tabbor Tall and lean will have to put on some pounds to wrestle heavy in D1 but the kid has talent. I've spent the last two days on the computer, going upstairs now to face the wife :) wonder if she wants to watch football. Also good job by Flo.

Check your eyes Jim, he was not at all big at 126, clearly lacking HP in a number of situations in the tournament.

Reactions: HIWILLE
Rojas is the guy from the Facundo "slam" last year right? (I forget the exact situation now but pretty sure any nefarious behavior would have been from the coach, not him, was just curious. It was also a semi close match prior to that I believe).

Rojas is the guy from the Facundo "slam" last year right? (I forget the exact situation now but pretty sure any nefarious behavior would have been from the coach, not him, was just curious. It was also a semi close match prior to that I believe).

You are correct, sir. Rojas is tough as nails and that whole situation surprised me. I have heard so many different versions, but you are right, Rojas was definitely not to blame.

Here is his direct response to the situation: https://www.mlive.com/highschoolspo...le-bout-still-feels-sting-of-team-finals.html

Honest technical question for people that know things better than I. Can Drake hang out on his one knee in space in college like he currently does? Will college athletes take advantage of it? Will it be considered not initiating action in college?

Honest technical question for people that know things better than I. Can Drake hang out on his one knee in space in college like he currently does? Will college athletes take advantage of it? Will it be considered not initiating action in college?

he can. I am sure things will change but the answer is yes. As long as he is attacking, noproblem. But with high level college wrestlers who are strong,might not be his best bet. Could easily get snapped and go around.. but hey he is number one. Time will tell.

he can. I am sure things will change but the answer is yes. As long as he is attacking, noproblem. But with high level college wrestlers who are strong,might not be his best bet. Could easily get snapped and go around.. but hey he is number one. Time will tell.

also, if RBY can put his arm behind his back.. pretty much most things are fine lol

you are thinking more of freestyle. they really don't like wrestlers doing that and will get hit with passivity more often then not by doing this...college wrestling and folkstyle not so much as long as he in engaging and attacking.

Went to the Gopher board to wait and see the typical response of, "Yeah, but our guy will win next time". No dice.

Maybe they're finally starting to realize how much better DA gets in his future rolling around with Lee? And also once Ayala is a full fledged 125.

Went to the Gopher board to wait and see the typical response of, "Yeah, but our guy will win next time". No dice.

Maybe they're finally starting to realize how much better DA gets in his future rolling around with Lee? And also once Ayala is a full fledged 125.
I'd be worried about hanging onto Spratley. This was a breakout performance and he's a kid that's moved around a bit. I'm guessing he's going to be getting a bunch of calls when the dead period ends.

I'd be worried about hanging onto Spratley. This was a breakout performance and he's a kid that's moved around a bit. I'm guessing he's going to be getting a bunch of calls when the dead period ends.
Good point. Lightweights at Minny haven't done much since Eggum took over.

He can get calls now coaches can still be in contact with recruits.Kids just can't do official visits and coaches can't meet with them if the kid decides to do a unofficial.

So this tiny little #120 just won the super32 at #126 inspite of his tiny frame. I'll bet he doesn't wrestle #120 again. Horsepower and size two different things. Saying that you are correct my eye sight is poor and don't hear very well either.

Was watching matches and just realized Dean Hamiti Jr bonus’d his way through super 32. Odd style but scoring points is what it’s all about right? Fun to watch if you have flo

So this tiny little #120 just won the super32 at #126 inspite of his tiny frame. I'll bet he doesn't wrestle #120 again. Horsepower and size two different things. Saying that you are correct my eye sight is poor and don't hear very well either.

Why cut weight if you don't have to? Spencer is a small 125 as well...think I heard him say he walks around low 130s. Compared to Jack Mueller, who I think showed a pic of him on a scale after NCAAs in the 150s, Spencer is small.

Kudos to Ayala for coming in and putting it on the line up a weight a few weeks after beating the #1 P4P down at 120.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarpHawk and el dub
Spratley had quite the resume going into super 32. He has placed there before and was seeded third for a reason. Flo’s #13 on their 2022 board. Also I’m not sure that he’s a 125 in college, think he ends up 133. His and Ayala’s match was great tho!

Was watching matches and just realized Dean Hamiti Jr bonus’d his way through super 32. Odd style but scoring points is what it’s all about right? Fun to watch if you have flo

Been watching Hamiti since he was a freshman (14 y/o) at Joliet Catholic Academy. The first time I saw Hamiti I thought; “this kid should be in biology class, he has no business on a wrestling mat”. However he just dominated opponents, including quality opponents. Then he would returned to the bench to watch his teammates through his horn-rimmed glasses. Hamiti’s transformation to a pretty physical 160 lbs’er has been dramatic.

To a point regarding another recent thread; 14 y/o kids at 106 lbs. / 113 lbs. will develop. And occasionally develop into elite wrestlers. I believe Hamati is headed to University of Wisconsin wrestling program.

I know the Spratley family a little and it's not a "grass is always greener on the other side" situation...

The only reason Troy left SEM was because the entire family relocated across country for a job opportunity.

If they had stayed in the northeast, he would have done all four years at one school.

Therefore, I would not consider him a flight risk.

Reactions: DaemonsDamon
Speaking of Super 32, I think you guys should go balls to the wall on the eventual PJ Duke recruitment..

1) He trains at Empire Wrestling Academy (formerly Iowa Style) under 1996 NCAA Qualifier for the Hawks, John Degl

2) He recently relocated to Section IX in New York (different school, but same section as the Banachs)

3) Is a lightweight with a strong judo background (not unlike a current U of I stud).

Why cut weight if you don't have to? Spencer is a small 125 as well...think I heard him say he walks around low 130s. Compared to Jack Mueller, who I think showed a pic of him on a scale after NCAAs in the 150s, Spencer is small.

Kudos to Ayala for coming in and putting it on the line up a weight a few weeks after beating the #1 P4P down at 120.
Did Ayala make 120 at WNO? I didn’t think they did.

Reactions: IAChief32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT