ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits/Super 32

If I were as good as Ayala I would worry about wrestling and not weight management until I got to college. Weight management was the one thing I hated about the sport. Good on him for being such a bada$$ he doesn't have to worry about it at this level. I love guys like him and Kennedy who are so tough they don't care. Hawks need more honeybadgers like that.

I remember Willie having some doubts. Did Flo ever say what they actually weighed?

I’d be highly surprised if Ayala wrestled up at Super 32. 26 is his weight class. He’s not a 120.
Correct his days at scratch 120 are over.And it didn't happen at Who's #1 either.Whos #1 gives some leeway Willie knows that exactly why he commented

Who's #1 was scratch weight the day before and Ayala made 120 125 with zero leeway. Wrestled great at WNO and Super 32. Excellent competitor!

edit: both Ayala and Figueroa agreed to 125 - mea culpa and my apologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarpHawk
I remember Willie having some doubts. Did Flo ever say what they actually weighed?

I’d be highly surprised if Ayala wrestled up at Super 32. 26 is his weight class. He’s not a 120.
Leading up to WNO CP said on FRL they were aware Ayala planned on going 126 this season, but they liked the match so they did a 125 catch weight.

Reactions: crablegs1
I know the Spratley family a little and it's not a "grass is always greener on the other side" situation...

The only reason Troy left SEM was because the entire family relocated across country for a job opportunity.

If they had stayed in the northeast, he would have done all four years at one school.

Therefore, I would not consider him a flight risk.

Would be very, very surprised if Spratley breaks his commitment to Minnesota. Good six wins for him before running into Ayala who has remained excellent. I imagine they will hit a few times in college.

Yea...I was just going off of the lineup card which had then at 120. Still does. Haven't been listening to the Flo shows as of late.

he can. I am sure things will change but the answer is yes. As long as he is attacking, noproblem. But with high level college wrestlers who are strong,might not be his best bet. Could easily get snapped and go around.. but hey he is number one. Time will tell.
Can he get away with his lack of riding tho in college? That's the only thing that worries me about him but having Lee in the room you'd think would help just a little lol

Can he get away with his lack of riding tho in college? That's the only thing that worries me about him but having Lee in the room you'd think would help just a little lol

Plenty of top college guys don’t ride all that much. Suriano, DeSanto, etc. If strength is a concern (not saying it is), I’d be more worried about making sure he can get out from bottom in college.

Yea...I was just going off of the lineup card which had then at 120. Still does. Haven't been listening to the Flo shows as of late.
Yea I think that was Willie’s gripe. The event wasn’t really to determine a #1 it was just a fun high school card. Real WNO would only pair guys at the same weights.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
Yea I think that was Willie’s gripe. The event wasn’t really to determine a #1 it was just a fun high school card. Real WNO would only pair guys at the same weights.
Exactly.Willie always wanted to know if that was your real weight for the season.He wanted the event to be about the #1 spot hence WNO.Theyre just using the WNO slogan to sell the event

Exactly.Willie always wanted to know if that was your real weight for the season.He wanted the event to be about the #1 spot hence WNO.Theyre just using the WNO slogan to sell the event

I don't think its accurate to say Flo is just using WNO as a slogan to sell the event this year. I did forget that Ayala had an allowence. I flubbed that. We also made a match between Lenny Pinto and Rylan Rogers at 182 when I'm fairly certain we'll see Pinto down at 170 sooner rather than later. I also think Travis Mastrogiovanni is probably under 152 right now. But the point of the event is still 100% to find out Who's #1 at every weight class.

Guys wrestling different weights after WNO happens every year, or with no rankings on the line. Looking at just last year, Echemendia wrestled Saunders at 65kg, Ryan Jack wrestled 132 at WNO but moved up to 138 by December, Ybarra and Burks wrestled at 120, then Ybarra went up to 126 AND Burks went to 132. Facundo and Kennedy wrestled WNO at 170 but Kennedy was up at 182 by January. Not to mention all the pro matches we have every year that have no bearing on any rankings.

I'm sure there will be more examples if I went back and did the research on earlier years. You have your ideal matchups and then you have what you can make happen in reality. But I agreed 100% wth Willie's philosophy with regards to the event when he was at Flo and I agree with it now.

Next year the goal will be again to get 14 matches between #1 and #2. There is very little chance we'll make it happen, but we're gonna try.

I don't think its accurate to say Flo is just using WNO as a slogan to sell the event this year. I did forget that Ayala had an allowence. I flubbed that. We also made a match between Lenny Pinto and Rylan Rogers at 182 when I'm fairly certain we'll see Pinto down at 170 sooner rather than later. I also think Travis Mastrogiovanni is probably under 152 right now. But the point of the event is still 100% to find out Who's #1 at every weight class.

Guys wrestling different weights after WNO happens every year, or with no rankings on the line. Looking at just last year, Echemendia wrestled Saunders at 65kg, Ryan Jack wrestled 132 at WNO but moved up to 138 by December, Ybarra and Burks wrestled at 120, then Ybarra went up to 126 AND Burks went to 132. Facundo and Kennedy wrestled WNO at 170 but Kennedy was up at 182 by January. Not to mention all the pro matches we have every year that have no bearing on any rankings.

I'm sure there will be more examples if I went back and did the research on earlier years. You have your ideal matchups and then you have what you can make happen in reality. But I agreed 100% wth Willie's philosophy with regards to the event when he was at Flo and I agree with it now.

Next year the goal will be again to get 14 matches between #1 and #2. There is very little chance we'll make it happen, but we're gonna try.
Appreciate your opinion.And hope next year we get all #1 vs #2. In past years when the weight couldn't pair #1 vs #2 Willie didn't have the weight.Imagine Willie had many matches he would've made but didn't since it's Who's #1.In the future maybe put those all star matches on a undercard prior to Who's #1 and not act like they're for the #1 spot

Reactions: Jaroslav Hasek
Appreciate your opinion.And hope next year we get all #1 vs #2. In past years when the weight couldn't pair #1 vs #2 Willie didn't have the weight.Imagine Willie had many matches he would've made but didn't since it's Who's #1.In the future maybe put those all star matches on a undercard prior to Who's #1 and not act like they're for the #1 spot

This is not true.

From 2014: #1 Olivas vs #3 Teasdale, #3 Early vs #4 Smith, #1 Headlee vs #3 McKee, #1 Piccininni vs #3 Brock

2015 was the first and only year it was all #1 vs #2 at the time of the event, except for the 4man which was incredible

2016: #2 Gfeller vs #4 Verkleeren, #1 Lee vs #3 Sasso, #2 RBY vs #4 Raimo

2017: #1 Howard vs #4 McKee, #2 Teasdale vs #3 Glory, #1 Teemer vs #3 Moore, #1 Artalona vs #3 Sasso

2018: #1 Figueroa vs #4 Decatur, #1 Assad vs #3 Winston

2019: Echemendia vs Saunders, an "all-star match" as you called it.

This is not a dig on Wille either. He has had made it plainly clear 1 vs 2 is not always feasible. And if were so easy to make 1 vs 2 happen someone would have done it before Flo ever existed. But it is revisionist history to say it has never included anything but #1 vs #2. Storylines, resume and availability have always played a role, and it has impacted the event so little that you and other fans either forgot or never seemed to notice.

Reactions: VansontheMoon44
I only hope to one day have your wrestling knowledge.And Spey to he's the smartest man alive.Who is a bigger dork then Spey? I guess I am

Smile and enjoy life. People were geeking out over what a high school kid weighs, and at what event, and what allowance, and what weight they are going to compete at, or will, if a guy is really #2 or #4, and at which weight, etc. On some level, it was amazing and I wanted to recognize that.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
Smile and enjoy life. People were geeking out over what a high school kid weighs, and at what event, and what allowance, and what weight they are going to compete at, or will, if a guy is really #2 or #4, and at which weight, etc. On some level, it was amazing and I wanted to recognize that.
I'm smiling as I watch preseason nationals.Agree was a great event

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT