ADVERTISEMENT

Recruitting thread from nebby site.

Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2017
"I was interested to see what type of recruiting classes that it takes to win a national title today, so I went back and looked at the last 10 national champions. I took rivals rankings and used their last 5 recruiting classes.

2016 Clemson(6,4,13,14,14) Avg: 10.2
2015 Alabama(2,1,1,1,1) Avg: 1.2
2014 Ohio State(3,2,4,11,25) Avg: 9
2013 Florida State(10,6,2,10,7) Avg: 7
2012 Alabama(1,1,5,1,1) Avg: 1.8
2011 Alabama(1,5,1,1,10) Avg: 3.6
2010 Auburn(4,19,20,7,10) Avg: 12
2009 Alabama(1,1,10,11,18) Avg: 8.2
2008 Florida(3,1,2,15,7) Avg: 5.6
2007 LSU(4,7,22,2,1) Avg: 7.2
Average ranking of Nat'l Champs: 6.58

The average class ranking of the last 10 is 6.58.There are multiple number 1 classes with Alabama having most of them. Each team had at least 1 top 5 class and at least 2 top ten classes.

Then, I wondered what it takes to be able to play in the CFB Playoff. We have now had the playoff for 4 years. Here is what I found out using the 5 prior class rankings:

2014(Average 8.6)
Oregon(26,22,16,9,13) Avg 17.2
Ohio St(3,2,4,11,25) Avg: 9
FSU(4,10,6,2,10) Avg: 6.4
Bama(1,1,1,1,5) Avg: 1.8

2015(Average ranking 14.2)
Clemson(4,13,14,14,8) Avg: 10.6
Bama(2,1,1,1,1) Avg: 1.2
OU(14,15,15,11,14) Avg: 13.8
Mich St(22,22,40,41,31) Avg 31.2

2016(Average Ranking 11)
Clemson(6,4,13,14,14) Avg: 10.2
Bama(1,2,1,1,1) Avg 1.2
Ohio St(3,9,3,2,4) Avg 4.2
Washington(37,30,36,18,21) Avg: 28.4

2017(Average Ranking 7.7)
OU(7,16,14,15,15) Avg: 10.4
Clemson(22,6,4,13,14) Avg: 11.8
Georgia(3,9,6,7,12) Avg: 7.4
Bama(1,1,2,1,1) Avg: 1.2

Obviously it is a little easier to make the playoff as the average recruiting classes are about 10. MSU and Washington showed that you can get there with "average" classes. The playoff definitely has made it harder to win National Titles today. Wisconsin is trying to buck that trend with their system. They do a pretty good job of recruiting to their system and committing to their system. They do have conference championships to show for it. As a Husker fan right now, I would love to have their level of success they have had recently. I pray to Scott Frost every night we win a confrence championship. Becky is talking about leaving me, says I dont have my wicked ways when the skers arnt winning. My son is getting to be old enough to read now and he is putting it together he wasn't alive the last time our skers won, damn teenagers. But, the trend is against them to win a natty if you look at the latest numbers."

That guy put in way more work than I would have. Obviously I took some creative liberties near the end.

Not disagreeing with you, but I'd like to see the list of OFFICIAL BLUE BLOODS.

Tough list. At one time teams like Nebraska, Oregon?, Texas would be on that list. Now? Are teams like Penn State, Florida State blue bloods? When Alabama looses Saban will they remain a blue blood?

Reactions: prag_grenade
When I think Blue Bloods I think as follows:
OSU
MICHIGAN
PSU
OKLAHOMA
TEXAS
USC
ALABAMA
NOTRE DAME
FLORIDA
FLORIDA ST
MIAMI (On the fence of removing them)
Clemson (Just Added to the list)
Nebraska (Probably removed from the list 5 years ago)

With the exception of Auburn which school not on this list has won a National Championship in the last 20 years? Last 30 years?

OSU
MICHIGAN
PSU
OKLAHOMA
TEXAS
USC
ALABAMA
NOTRE DAME
FLORIDA
FLORIDA ST

With the exception of Auburn which school not on this list has won a National Championship in the last 20 years? Last 30 years?
LSU. And Mich definitely isn’t a blue blood anymore. I’d put Wis & Mich St above them.

If anyone but a blueblood wins a National Championship it will take a perfect storm.
I don't think so. Once you're in, you only have to win twice. And now that the major conferences have championship games, it's easier for a non-blue blood to win their way into the top 4. It won't happen often, but I'd guess it will happen once a decade or so.

Look for schools in the Top 15 or so for recruiting for last 5 years.
Per 247Sports composite rankings...

2018 (currently)
Georgia
Ohio State
Texas

Penn State
Alabama
Miami
Notre Dame
Clemson
Oklahoma
Auburn
USC

Washington
LSU
Michigan
Oregon
Florida

Alabama
Ohio State
Georgia
USC
Michigan
Florida State
LSU
Oklahoma
Auburn
Notre Dame
Florida
Miami
Texas A&M
Stanford
Penn State
Clemson

Alambama
LSU
Florida State
Ohio State
Ole Miss
Georgia
Texas
Michigan
Auburn
USC
Clemson
Florida
UCLA
Tennessee
Notre Dame
Stanford

Alambama
USC
Florida State
Tennessee
LSU
Georgia
Ohio State
Auburn
Clemson
Texas
Texas A&M
UCLA
Notre Dame
Penn State
Oklahoma
Oregon

Alabama
LSU
Ohio State
Florida State
Texas A&M
Auburn
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
USC
Notre Dame
Miami
Stanford
Oklahoma
Ole Miss
Clemson

Without listing them out, I looked and with very few exceptions it's pretty much the same cast of characters all the way back to 2007.

I never really thought of Ole Miss as a blue blood, and would consider Tennessee and Texas A&M to be borderline.

I'd say that there are probably 10 "true" blue bloods, those that due to their program history have earned a lifetime membership in the club. I've identified them under the current 2018 rankings. I could easily be convinced to expand that by a couple and include Florida State and Penn State.

LSU. And Mich definitely isn’t a blue blood anymore. I’d put Wis & Mich St above them.

You are out of your mind.
That is like saying the Cubs were not a Blue Blood in baseball.
Michigan is the definition of a Blue Blood.
Failing to win doesn't drop them out.
- They are among the winningest programs
in The history of the game.
- Recruit steo my nationally ranked classes even when not winning as much.
-Get immediate respect in ratings and rankings with any wins (see TX and ND)

They have every advantage to rise back to the top quickly, as talent sees it as a big brand name. That IS blue blood.

There are only two teams that have been and continue to be blue bloods. Alabama and Ohio State. The others that were BBs have dropped off quite a bit. The good thing for them though, is that they could return to BB status, but no guarantees. A couple other programs have stepped up quite a bit, but short recent runs don't qualify one to be blue bloods. I guess the discussion hinges on what one considers a blue bloods. My definition for this convo is a program that has been at the top consistently for decades and decades without long stretches of relative mediocrity. That definition eliminates a lot of teams previously mentioned. And I never have considered teams like Miami and FSU to be blue bloods. Each had very good runs that I would love Iowa to have, but they were relatively short runs (in terms of college FB history), and were bookended by average to mediocre play. When talking blue bloods, one really good run in say the last 40 years just isn't enough, you have to have higher standards than that.

They have every advantage to rise back to the top quickly, as talent sees it as a big brand name. That IS blue blood.
I wish you were right about Mich. Blue bloods are recent consistent winners. But by your definition Iowa’s a blue blood if Mich is!

Alabama
Georgia
Oklahoma
Texas
Michigan
Ohio St
Penn st
USC
LSU
Florida St
Auburn
Notre Dame
Clemson

I'd consider to be the blue bloods maybe Miami too if they win a little more
Only team I would remove would be Notre Dame. They still get recruits as if they are a blue blood, but they really haven't been close to a top football school performance wise in years. Their last Mythical title was in 1988 which is basically 30 years ago.
Since 1997 the great Notre Dame has won 155 games.
Since 1997 Iowa has won 153 games.

If Iowa isn't a Blue Blood, Notre Dame isn't either.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I would consider "blue blood" to be a team that ranks within a winning percentage north of .800 since it's program's inception. 20 years ago Bama sucked. But here they are again. Blue blood isn't measured by a decade but decades. Just a thought.

OSU
MICHIGAN
PSU
OKLAHOMA
TEXAS
USC
ALABAMA
NOTRE DAME
FLORIDA
FLORIDA ST

Blue Bloods don't get removed from lists. Blue blood = "old money". It's not something that you just pop up in 150 years into the game. These programs defined the game. That's the point. The top 5 (in no order):

Ohio State
Alabama
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Oklahoma

Good discussion.

If the playoffs expand I think the non-blue bloods will have more opportunities to win an occasional title by ‘system’ rather than ‘recruiting’.

Blue Bloods don't get removed from lists. Blue blood = "old money". It's not something that you just pop up in 150 years into the game. These programs defined the game. That's the point. The top 5 (in no order):

Ohio State
Alabama
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Penn State

Reactions: jgilbrt24

The Cubs were a blue blood of baseball? They went more than 100 years without winning a World Series........

Yes, missed on Penn ST. Agree with you on the old money, that is what makes a blue blood.

If anyone but a blueblood wins a National Championship it will take a perfect storm.
who is considered a blue blood though?
Is clemson a "blue blood"? They only had 1 top 5 finish EVER before 2015. Not really what I'd call a blue blood.
Some would call nebby a blue blood, but it's been quite some time since they've really done anything special.

all subjective imo.....

Reactions: Mohawkeye
The Cubs were a blue blood of baseball? They went more than 100 years without winning a World Series........
If you are of the thinking that "blue blood"=money....then yeah I'd say they were blue bloods.
If you are of the thinking that consistent winning=blue blod then certainly not!

Winning>money imo....

Ohio State
Alabama
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
So if you have lots of money then you are a blue blood, even if you don't win?
If you're not "mega rich program" but win and in a good recruiting area, you can't be blue blood?

If you are of the thinking that "blue blood"=money....then yeah I'd say they were blue bloods.
If you are of the thinking that consistent winning=blue blod then certainly not!

Winning>money imo....

So if you have lots of money then you are a blue blood, even if you don't win?
If you're not "mega rich program" but win and in a good recruiting area, you can't be blue blood?

5th best winning % and 2nd most wins isn't 'blue blood' for the Cubs?

Reactions: 5Nole
5th best winning % and 2nd most wins isn't 'blue blood' for the Cubs?

5 division titles and 1 ws appearance from 1946-2015
not exactly what I'd call blue blood, sounds more like braska thinking ;)

this is coming from a lifelong cubs fan......

"I was interested to see what type of recruiting classes that it takes to win a national title today, so I went back and looked at the last 10 national champions. I took rivals rankings and used their last 5 recruiting classes.

2016 Clemson(6,4,13,14,14) Avg: 10.2
2015 Alabama(2,1,1,1,1) Avg: 1.2
2014 Ohio State(3,2,4,11,25) Avg: 9
2013 Florida State(10,6,2,10,7) Avg: 7
2012 Alabama(1,1,5,1,1) Avg: 1.8
2011 Alabama(1,5,1,1,10) Avg: 3.6
2010 Auburn(4,19,20,7,10) Avg: 12
2009 Alabama(1,1,10,11,18) Avg: 8.2
2008 Florida(3,1,2,15,7) Avg: 5.6
2007 LSU(4,7,22,2,1) Avg: 7.2
Average ranking of Nat'l Champs: 6.58

The average class ranking of the last 10 is 6.58.There are multiple number 1 classes with Alabama having most of them. Each team had at least 1 top 5 class and at least 2 top ten classes.

Then, I wondered what it takes to be able to play in the CFB Playoff. We have now had the playoff for 4 years. Here is what I found out using the 5 prior class rankings:

2014(Average 8.6)
Oregon(26,22,16,9,13) Avg 17.2
Ohio St(3,2,4,11,25) Avg: 9
FSU(4,10,6,2,10) Avg: 6.4
Bama(1,1,1,1,5) Avg: 1.8

2015(Average ranking 14.2)
Clemson(4,13,14,14,8) Avg: 10.6
Bama(2,1,1,1,1) Avg: 1.2
OU(14,15,15,11,14) Avg: 13.8
Mich St(22,22,40,41,31) Avg 31.2

2016(Average Ranking 11)
Clemson(6,4,13,14,14) Avg: 10.2
Bama(1,2,1,1,1) Avg 1.2
Ohio St(3,9,3,2,4) Avg 4.2
Washington(37,30,36,18,21) Avg: 28.4

2017(Average Ranking 7.7)
OU(7,16,14,15,15) Avg: 10.4
Clemson(22,6,4,13,14) Avg: 11.8
Georgia(3,9,6,7,12) Avg: 7.4
Bama(1,1,2,1,1) Avg: 1.2

Obviously it is a little easier to make the playoff as the average recruiting classes are about 10. MSU and Washington showed that you can get there with "average" classes. The playoff definitely has made it harder to win National Titles today. Wisconsin is trying to buck that trend with their system. They do a pretty good job of recruiting to their system and committing to their system. They do have conference championships to show for it. As a Husker fan right now, I would love to have their level of success they have had recently. I pray to Scott Frost every night we win a confrence championship. Becky is talking about leaving me, says I dont have my wicked ways when the skers arnt winning. My son is getting to be old enough to read now and he is putting it together he wasn't alive the last time our skers won, damn teenagers. But, the trend is against them to win a natty if you look at the latest numbers."

That guy put in way more work than I would have. Obviously I took some creative liberties near the end.

Did I read this correctly? You're a Nebraska fan? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Old Money=Blue Blood
OSU
Michigan
PSU
Nebraska
USC
Alabama
Texas
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Georgia

Nebraska is struggling but will be back. Florida and Florida State and maybe Stanford are New Blood. Oregon for awhile and Miami for awhile. LSU close.

Reactions: RoscoePound
Amazing that some of these "blue bloods" struggle when they have average coaching.

Old Money=Blue Blood
OSU
Michigan
PSU
Nebraska
USC
Alabama
Texas
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Georgia

Nebraska is struggling but will be back. Florida and Florida State and maybe Stanford are New Blood. Oregon for awhile and Miami for awhile. LSU close.

Nebraska is done, stick a fork in them. They have no natural advantages and they are not a destination school. No kid grows up dreaming to be a Husker anymore. It’s a place where dreams go to die. Not a blue blood.

Nebraska is done, stick a fork in them. They have no natural advantages and they are not a destination school. No kid grows up dreaming to be a Husker anymore. It’s a place where dreams go to die. Not a blue blood.

Blue blood means old money. Nebraska is not currently relevant, true, but they sure used to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT