ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirt Freshman and True Freshman who will make an impact this year

Bryzzo

Team MVP
Aug 31, 2016
In my opinion, the following Redshirt Freshman will see the most significant playing time this Fall:

Redshirt Freshman:
OL - Justin Britt
DL - Logan Lee
TE - J. Miamen
LB - J. Campbell
LB - J. Jacobs
DB - S. Castro
DB - D. McKinney

Based on the new redshirt rules, True Freshman can play up to 4 games and still retain their redshirt - I think the following True Freshman will all get at least the 4 games of experience in the Fall

True Freshman:
DL - D. Craig
TE - E. Yelverton
TE - L. Lachey
RB - G. Williams
DL - M. Richman
LB - L. Jones
LB - J. Higgins
DB - R. Bracy
DB - AJ Lawson

Lots of young talent in the pipeline and an outstanding start to the 2021 Recruiting class.

Didn’t realize Logan Jones is now a LB, would think he’ll need to slim down and get speed up if that the case.

Reactions: Harbinger273
I think you're right about the LBs playing some, at the very least on special teams. I could see one of the TEs burn their redshirt and play more than 4, but I expect one of them not to. Like LaPorta vs Miamen last year.

I dont expect to see Richman play, not even one snap this year. I think they have their eyes on developing him as a OT.

I think Jacobs, Britt and Lee see the most playing time of the redshirt Fr. Watch out for Jacobs as his body becomes more college ready I expect him to play more

I think Richman and Black will both be guys that the OL and DL staff will fight to have in their side of the ball.

For the true freshman, I would say its how soon we get into any type of summer camps. Without that experience, I really doubt we see very many at all. Of course different story for the RS freshman that have been on campus a year

Reactions: CaboKP
For the true freshman, I would say its how soon we get into any type of summer camps. Without that experience, I really doubt we see very many at all. Of course different story for the RS freshman that have been on campus a year

Agree, going to be tough for any true frosh to break into the 2 deeps. Even special team experience may take a little time.

So did Cambell retain his year of eligibility last year? Can't remember. Anyway, we will have some impressive newcomers emerge this coming season. So many young guns will be emerging in the coming years and have a chance to be great. The college football world is sleeping on just how much talent we have! Don't doubt this program.

I think Campbell, Jacobs, Lee and L Jones all have a good chance of seeing time on the D. L Jones should be kept <= 4 games unless there are injuries. I hope the other 3 get a lot of ST minutes and at least sub in to keep the starting rotation fresher in the 2nd half. I know that at least one of the freshmen DBs will play if history is any indicator.

For offense, Britt and Yelverton should see time, the rest will probably red shirt.

I have changed my mindset about trying to retain these freshmen’s 1st year as a redshirt year. If they are good enough to play, get them out there. So many really good players are leaving early, anyway.

The freshman 4 games rule is a great rule for the kids that the staff wants to test, but just aren’t sure about. It is also great for linemen who still have some bulking up to do, just to give them a clearer picture of how fast the game is played.

my point is that if there is a kid that can help the team, even if it is on special teams, then play him the whole year.

ADVERTISEMENT