ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirt Option

EKHawk

All-Conference
Nov 23, 2010
Maybe this has already been addressed but will the incoming freshmen still get to play in up to four games before burning their redshirt option? With fewer games, has that been lowered? Seems like a number of true freshmen could see action due to injuries', positive Covid results, etc. Anyone have accurate information on this?

Reactions: pink shizzle
Maybe this has already been addressed but will the incoming freshmen still get to play in up to four games before burning their redshirt option? With fewer games, has that been lowered? Seems like a number of true freshmen could see action due to injuries', positive Covid results, etc. Anyone have accurate information on this?

NCAA has stated no one will lose year of eligibility in 2020. This the 4 game rule is moot unless they change their decision in some way

NCAA has stated no one will lose year of eligibility in 2020. This the 4 game rule is moot unless they change their decision in some way
Well at the rate the NCAA is going, they will change that decision at the beginning of next year and say last year did in fact count.

Reactions: Gator Chef Al
They did? So current seniors have two years left? How did I miss this?
Yes. A bit confusing but essentially, all fall sport athletes regardless if you play in the fall or spring by conference will not lose a year. Interesting...I'd forgotten about this...
Link

IDK.... I have a feeling the NCAA is going to muddy this up later on.... something where, "if you played a certain percentage of total snaps, regardless of how many games the team played, then it counts as a year"

That just seems to be how the NCAA operates lol

Yes. A bit confusing but essentially, all fall sport athletes regardless if you play in the fall or spring by conference will not lose a year. Interesting...I'd forgotten about this...
Link
But then it’s up to the school to decide if they’ll provide a scholarship to the athlete, same thing they did for spring athletes. If school say they’ll provide a scholarship then it’s up to the player. I’m guessing you’ll see most schools say thanks but no thanks, time to move on especially with huge revenue deficits.

Reactions: kceasthawk
This is almost mind blowing to me. So if this stands everyone’s eligibility status is just the same next year. So how does that work with scholarship numbers? Are they extended for the next 4 years? Also, Can Jess Settles come back and play during COVID?

This is almost mind blowing to me. So if this stands everyone’s eligibility status is just the same next year. So how does that work with scholarship numbers? Are they extended for the next 4 years? Also, Can Jess Settles come back and play during COVID?
Right now, the NCAA has said teams can go over the 85 limit in 2021 to account for their returning seniors. Beyond that, no one really knows yet. In theory, if they have to be back down to 85 in 2022, it could mean a smaller than normal recruiting class that year if schools have most players using their extra year.

Right now, the NCAA has said teams can go over the 85 limit in 2021 to account for their returning seniors. Beyond that, no one really knows yet. In theory, if they have to be back down to 85 in 2022, it could mean a smaller than normal recruiting class that year if schools have most players using their extra year.
Thanks, it may change the landscape over the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT