ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirts?

JerryDennard

HR MVP
Feb 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
13 players is about 3 too many for the rotation, so if you were Fran, who would you try to get to redshirt? If you think about it - while this year is exciting, we may be 2-3 years away from making a deep (S16 or better) run.

With that in mind, here are three dark horse redshirt candidates for 2017-2018:

Maishe Dailey: I know he didn't redshirt last year, but kids out of high school want to immediately test themselves. Now that he's seen battle - and a lot of DNP-CDs - maybe he could be talked into taking an official redshirt year. He's not going to get much run this year anyway. He said he's grown an inch and maybe he's still growing - if he comes back in a year at 6'8" and 15 pounds heavier...

Cordell Pemsl; Between his knee surgeries (and medical leg breaking) and now his sports hernia, CP is a tough, tough kid. That said, maybe it's time to let his body heal. Meanwhile, he can work on his mid-range to outside game, and with a little help with his ball handling, turn into a Niang or Denzel V type point forward player. I do like the idea of evening out the classes a bit.

Jack Nunge: Everyone is excited by Nunge - and he's been lighting it up in the PTL - but as much as he's billed as a Uthoff starter kit, he's shooting only 21% in the PTL from 3 and 55% FTs. Possibly take a year to bulk up a bit, work on his consistency. Plus, by taking a year off, he's priming himself to take over Baer's role as a RS sophomore and star on a Weiskamp/PMac/Cook team.

If you redshirted those 3 players (and assuming Connor plays baseball for a year/redshirts), the depth chart would look like this:

PG: JBo (so), CWill (jr)
SG: Moss (so), BE (jr)
SF: Baer (jr), Uhl (sr), Moss
PF: Cook (so), Wagner (Jr), Kriener (so)
C: Garza (fr), Kriener, Wagner

Let this year be the learning curve year - 15-18 wins is the goal.

Then in 2018-2019, you'd see:

PG: JBo (jr), Connor (rs fr), CWill (sr)
SG: Moss (jr), BE (sr), Weiskamp (fr), Dailey (rs so)
SF: Baer (sr), Nunge (rs fr), Weiskamp, CWill, Dailey
PF: Cook (jr), Pemsl (rs so), Wagner (sr), Nunge, Kriener (jr)
C: Garza (so), Kriener, Nunge

Clearly a huge logjam for minutes - but why not load up for Baer's senior year and Weiskamp's rookie season?

In 2019-2020:

PG: JBo (sr), Connor (rs so),
SG: Moss (sr), Weiskamp (so), Dailey (rs jr)
SF: Weiskamp, Nunge (rs so), Dailey
PF: Cook (sr), Pemsl (rs jr), Kriener (sr), Nunge, Patrick McCaffery (fr)
C: Garza (jr), Kriener

Here's where the redshirt investment starts paying dividends: an 11 man rotation, but look at that depth, experience and length at every position (except the 1 maybe).

In 2020-2021:

PG: Connor (rs jr)
SG: Weiskamp (jr), Dailey (rs sr)
SF: Nunge (rs jr), Dailey
PF: Pemsl (rs sr), PMac (so), Nunge (rs jr)
C: Garza (sr), Nunge (rs jr)

9 man rotation - and size and experience at every position. This is a chance for Pemsl to be the main guy inside, and even for Maishe Dailey to really crack the lineup.

In 2021-2022:

PG: Connor (rs sr)
SG: Weiskamp (sr)
SF: PMac (jr)
PF: Nunge (rs sr)
C: ???

If you're Fran, you're thinking about your boys and what this team will look like their last year together. Without redshirting, you'd have a hole at the 4 and the 5, whereas if you had Nunge for an extra year, this is a couple recruits away (at the 1/2 and 5) from being a legit preseason Top 10 lineup.

Fran has stated that neither Nunge nor Garza will redshirt. We do have Connor redshirting, and despite speculation the stated plan, by him, was one year of baseball and then back to basketball...he's even getting practice in with basketball team.

IMO this is a year that no one should redshirt. With Connor and Wieskamp coming in, we actually need someone to transfer so that Connor can have have a scholarship. If that doesn't happen?

We'll have just one scholarship available for 2019!

This should be the year where players get a clear message of who is in the rotation and who isn't.

Well....the goal most certainly is not 15-18 wins. The goal is to win the B1G and if you can't do that, get to the NCAA's. It will be a big dosappointment if this team does not reach the NCAA's. A redshirt or 2 is not the worst idea I've heard, but I'm not sure they will redshirt anybody but Connor.

Interesting thinking Jerry.
My thinking is that recruiting continues to trend upward and because of that why would we want to red shirt guys and plug up our scholarships for another year. Down the road player transfers and injuries will likely take care of the minutes played situation.
Don't you think that top 25 teams have the same issues and it works out for them ? Why are we worrying about who gets the minutes ? The players know who they are competing with and chose to stay rather than transfer.
I could care less if Conner ever gets a scholarship. If Fran doesn't care why should we ?
When daddy is making over 2 mil a year and it's an in state tuition and you can live in the McCaffrey mansion and mom does your laundry ? Sign me up.

I have a hard time believing that Nunge won't start until his 4th year on campus.
I have a hard time believing that Conner will be a starting guard in the Big 10. 2 guard maybe , but he's too slow for a starting point guard.

Fran gets paid well to make these decisions. Why can't we take his word and know Nunge won't be red shirting ? If Dailey, Uhl, Williams and Wagner aren't good enough to beat out others why should we worry about minutes for them ?
I hope we win 25 games at least this year.

Last edited:
The problem isn't that one or more need to redshirt. The problem is Fran needs to cut the rotation and stick to it, too many subs hurts the flow of the game as does certain lineups which only has one scorer as the rest aren't scorers and are too reluctant to shoot.

I think there are valid reasons to consider redshirting. Gaining weight and strength or getting off to a good academic start is a good reason for a freshman. Fully recovering from injury is another compelling reason.

But, I agree that Nunge will be difficult to keep from a starting spot. I think he will pass Baer, who will remain an all-time best 6th Man throughout his career, backing up the 2, 3, and 4 spot. His shooting improved greatly towards the end of last year, he can help spread the floor,a nd do all of the things he does to make the team better coming off of the bench.

And, I am doubtful Cook is a 4 year player. Even if he does not have the full NBA skill set, I see him leaving early, maybe after this year. If he can't make the NBA, he'll still make good money overseas.

I am not sold on Dailey ever being a meaningful contributor unless there is an injury this year. Bohannon, Moss, Williams, Ellingson, and Baer will take most guard minutes. Playing time gets even more difficult for him next year with Weiskamp and McC competing for minutes. I think if he does not have significant playing time by January, it would be in his best interest to transfer at semester, sit a year, and have 2.5 years left to play at a Mid-Major.

Wagner will get his 10-15 minutes of high energy play at the 3 and 4, especially when others have foul issues. Would have liked him to take a redshirt to try his hand at Kinnick for a year.

Pemsl may have the most upside for a redshirt, especially if he is not 100%. Get him fully healthy. Let him be the prototypical Brunner-type 4 for three more years, especially if Cook leaves.

Kreiner competes with Garza for the 5. Not sure who wins out at this point, lean towards Garza. Still good minutes available for the back-up.

And then there's Uhl. This sounds really strange, but I do believe Fran does what is best for his players as individuals. Let him play in front of his family in Germany, urge him to take a senior redshirt, allowing him to graduate a Hawkeye. He takes a grad transfer to somewhere he can get good minutes.

By the middle of this season, I think the starting line-up will be pretty much set for 2.5 years.

Bohannon
Moss
Nunge
Cook (Pemsl, if Cook leaves early after this year)
Garza (or Kreiner)

Honestly, other than because of an injury or recovery (such as with Pemsl) I don't see anyone besides CMac redshirting.

I am writing this post strictly from an emotional perspective (some of what I think for a player and some from a fan).

When it comes to redshirting I think as a player the guy has to be mature....have an understanding that a year more of preparation will put him in a better position. Having that kind of patience at 18/19 years of age is very very rare. If that player doesn't feel it is in their best long term interest chances are they aren't going to be happy and won't stick around. I think Fran's approach on this is very ethical.......in the end it is the players choice. Fran doesn't push people in that direction with the intent of motivating them to transfer. I think that is the right way to do it.

All of that said, again from an emotional standpoint, I like all of these guys/players. I hate to see anyone leave. Yet I understand that a number of these players could be playing more and starting at other places. From my own perspective, particularly when I was at the age these guys are, I want to start. If not starting I want to play a lot of minutes......not what some of the end of the bench guys get at blowout time.

Bottom line, I think at some point somebody on this team will transfer.....and as a fan as much as I understand, I hate to see someone go. They all appear to be good young men with talent. Talent capable of contributing to this team.

We just have to wait and see what happens.

Last but not least......in another era each team had 15 scholarships and it did not seem that the transfer situation is nearly what it is now. I remember when they reduced that number to 13 I thought, wow this is going to be tough. Really, 13 scholarships is plenty in most circumstances.

Cordell makes sense this year if not healthy. After that, I don't see any red-shirts. This year has potential to be very good win wise. A lot of depth, Cook will likely emerge as a star. Plenty of bigs to throw around and rotate for a full court system.

I see a 22/23 win year.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
15 - 18 wins for the year is the goal??? Not likely, sorry OP but this squad makes the dance this year.

I agree....15-18 is my guess at worst case scenario. If we have a key injury or two, or if this team just can't play decent defense, or chemistry issues develop etc.

I am guessing 20 wins (regular season) might be a good over/under...maybe? I could see the high end/best case that is realistic somewhere around 23/24 if things go well (regular season).

Reactions: unIowa
13 players is about 3 too many for the rotation, so if you were Fran, who would you try to get to redshirt? If you think about it - while this year is exciting, we may be 2-3 years away from making a deep (S16 or better) run.

With that in mind, here are three dark horse redshirt candidates for 2017-2018:

Maishe Dailey: I know he didn't redshirt last year, but kids out of high school want to immediately test themselves. Now that he's seen battle - and a lot of DNP-CDs - maybe he could be talked into taking an official redshirt year. He's not going to get much run this year anyway. He said he's grown an inch and maybe he's still growing - if he comes back in a year at 6'8" and 15 pounds heavier...

Cordell Pemsl; Between his knee surgeries (and medical leg breaking) and now his sports hernia, CP is a tough, tough kid. That said, maybe it's time to let his body heal. Meanwhile, he can work on his mid-range to outside game, and with a little help with his ball handling, turn into a Niang or Denzel V type point forward player. I do like the idea of evening out the classes a bit.

Jack Nunge: Everyone is excited by Nunge - and he's been lighting it up in the PTL - but as much as he's billed as a Uthoff starter kit, he's shooting only 21% in the PTL from 3 and 55% FTs. Possibly take a year to bulk up a bit, work on his consistency. Plus, by taking a year off, he's priming himself to take over Baer's role as a RS sophomore and star on a Weiskamp/PMac/Cook team.

If you redshirted those 3 players (and assuming Connor plays baseball for a year/redshirts), the depth chart would look like this:

PG: JBo (so), CWill (jr)
SG: Moss (so), BE (jr)
SF: Baer (jr), Uhl (sr), Moss
PF: Cook (so), Wagner (Jr), Kriener (so)
C: Garza (fr), Kriener, Wagner

Let this year be the learning curve year - 15-18 wins is the goal.

Then in 2018-2019, you'd see:

PG: JBo (jr), Connor (rs fr), CWill (sr)
SG: Moss (jr), BE (sr), Weiskamp (fr), Dailey (rs so)
SF: Baer (sr), Nunge (rs fr), Weiskamp, CWill, Dailey
PF: Cook (jr), Pemsl (rs so), Wagner (sr), Nunge, Kriener (jr)
C: Garza (so), Kriener, Nunge

Clearly a huge logjam for minutes - but why not load up for Baer's senior year and Weiskamp's rookie season?

In 2019-2020:

PG: JBo (sr), Connor (rs so),
SG: Moss (sr), Weiskamp (so), Dailey (rs jr)
SF: Weiskamp, Nunge (rs so), Dailey
PF: Cook (sr), Pemsl (rs jr), Kriener (sr), Nunge, Patrick McCaffery (fr)
C: Garza (jr), Kriener

Here's where the redshirt investment starts paying dividends: an 11 man rotation, but look at that depth, experience and length at every position (except the 1 maybe).

In 2020-2021:

PG: Connor (rs jr)
SG: Weiskamp (jr), Dailey (rs sr)
SF: Nunge (rs jr), Dailey
PF: Pemsl (rs sr), PMac (so), Nunge (rs jr)
C: Garza (sr), Nunge (rs jr)

9 man rotation - and size and experience at every position. This is a chance for Pemsl to be the main guy inside, and even for Maishe Dailey to really crack the lineup.

In 2021-2022:

PG: Connor (rs sr)
SG: Weiskamp (sr)
SF: PMac (jr)
PF: Nunge (rs sr)
C: ???

If you're Fran, you're thinking about your boys and what this team will look like their last year together. Without redshirting, you'd have a hole at the 4 and the 5, whereas if you had Nunge for an extra year, this is a couple recruits away (at the 1/2 and 5) from being a legit preseason Top 10 lineup.
So the goal is to have less wins this year than last year?? I DEFINITELY don't think that is the goal even a little bit. If this team can figure out how to play together, as we see they could at the end of last season, I think the sky is the limit for these kids. Probably not talking final 4 run this year but at the very least could be a round of 32 or sweet 16 team...this year.

Honestly, other than because of an injury or recovery (such as with Pemsl) I don't see anyone besides CMac redshirting.
Agree. We might see a player or two decide to transfer after this year, but it seems unlikely that anyone will red shirt, unless there are injuries.

I think it is unlikely that both CW and Dailey will get significant minutes, so the odd man out from these guys could be gone next year.

Reactions: SSG T
Fran has stated that neither Nunge nor Garza will redshirt. We do have Connor redshirting, and despite speculation the stated plan, by him, was one year of baseball and then back to basketball...he's even getting practice in with basketball team.

IMO this is a year that no one should redshirt. With Connor and Wieskamp coming in, we actually need someone to transfer so that Connor can have have a scholarship. If that doesn't happen?

We'll have just one scholarship available for 2019!

This should be the year where players get a clear message of who is in the rotation and who isn't.
Thanks Dan. Once again with the redshirting? Dailey doesn't want to redshirt. And why would the OP say that Daileys not going to get much run this year? I mean we don't know of course, but its also quite possible he'll play anywhere from the 1,2, or 3 and could have a breakout year. We're thin at all those positions so sitting a guy who could be a major contributor would be ridiculous. As long as Pemsl's surgery went well, there should be no ill effects if he doesn't play extensively until November. I'd take it easy with him this summer,(if he will), but he should be fine. Fran has stated, he has no plans to redshirt Nunge. Again if he brings more to the table then Wagner, Williams, or Uhl in terms of basketball skill, then why would he be sitting on the bench. Frans job is to win the BIG this year, and not to worry about what kind of team he'll have when PMac gets here in two years. If someone whose not playing decides to stay and get there degree, Id support that 100%, just as I would if they decide to move on. NOW is the time to capatilize on the uptick in recruiting momentum, and build a title contender for not only now, but the near future. The only impedement to that right now is a lack of available schollys.

Reactions: DanL53 and ZumaHawk
I've been posting on this subject in a number of threads (I know it's the offseason and slow.....) and I can't see an upside for anyone redshirting unless Pemsl is not ready to go. That said, the possibility of Uhl saving this year and looking at a grad transfer next season might make sense if the new guys show they can defend and that they will earn a substantial amount of Dom's minutes on the overseas trip. I agree give Dom a chance to play considerable minutes in front of the German crowds and if he proves he belongs ahead of the others then he plays. If he shows he's likely going to be squeezed out then the grad transfer scenario might be better for everyone. Dom's proven he can contribute at times and I only see this happening if he's the one to start the discussion.

Reactions: DanL53
I think I'm getting inspired by the 76ers "Trust the Process." I'm bored and was just spitballing 3 guys to redshirt (if you could waive a magic wand), even if it made us less than optimal this year but dominant in years 2-3 or beyond.

To put it another way - none of these guys are going to be in the NBA over a year or two. Maybe I'm wrong, hopefully I'm very wrong, just saying: it's super competitive. Jok and Uthoff are regular DNP-CDs in the Summer League, and they were two of our more NBA-ready players in the last 10 years. So why not sell them on the idea of "enjoy college - it's over before you know it".

Kids are kids, but redshirting and balancing classes out makes a lot of sense if you've got a logjam.

Reactions: papabeef
How many were in the rotation of Dr Tom era teams? Seems like they were subbing all the time.

Hard reality: If you can't make the top ten, think about transferring, not redshirting. Fran needs to recruit some shooters to balance this team.

Uhl clearly played his way out of the lineup, as did Ellingson. We're dealing with it the way we need to be; 8-9 man primary rotation, two position competitions, developmental competitions. J-Bo-Moss-Baer-Cook-Wagner-Pemsl-Williams-Ellingson will get the early minutes while we see what happens with Garza, Kreiner, Nunge. Uhl clearly was losing minutes but I imafi early games will be getting action that'll eventually be lost to one or all of those 3 guys.

I wouldn't mind seeing some redshirts going forward (now that the Hawks have the talent to fill the roster). I do agree that it seems that recruiting is on the uptick, but I don't think we're in the situation we were a few years ago.

Look at Wisconsin's roster...7 current players on their roster redshirted, and that doesn't include the 3 incoming freshman that could redshirt this year. Fran has always had to play the talent he has, but is that short-sighted?

We have a budding monster on our hands. What we don't have is a 3rd primary scorer. You need that. Moss, Garza, Pemsl probably the biggest threats. See how Garza kind of sticks out there? It's because Moss and Pemsl have proven capabilities. The more you redshirt the less you know.

If Moss fails to harness his scoring abilities we'll take the inconsistency and turn it into Williams and Ellingson as a thunder-lightning athlete-shooter duo. By now you see the GOOD aspect of redshirting - even our backup plan leaves Connor to waste. That's not happening anywhere else. Redshirting a Nunge would solely serve to put him in the exact same situation next year except then he's behind even more seasoned Forwards. How about developing the project for use 2 years from now instead?

Kreiner could possibly benefit. For whatever that's worth. No tangible evidence suggests he's anything more than buried for every possible future scenario. Remember, we had no idea between him and Pemsl a year ago. Overusing the redshirt is far moreover likely to cost us a Bohannon than it will deliver us a foreseeable payoff.

Seriously, it would have made a lot of sense to redshirt Bohannon this time last year.
How would it have made sense to redshirt JBO last sesaon? We didn't have a proven point guard returning. What would Iowa's season have looked like last year with Williams the starting point guard all year? Not good. I think. Now I could have seen redshirting Dailey last season, and Fran had that discussion. Maishe said no thanks. Again its up to the kids, at the end. Many wanted Kreiner to redshirt last year. I'm glad he didn't. He gained confidence, that he can play at this level, and he looks like he's really pushing forward right now. Play the talent, and if we lose players to transfer, much better it be because they decide they can't break the top ten rotation, then to see our leading scorer transfer three years in a row, like happened under the previous regime.

Hydrocodone said:
Kreiner could possibly benefit. For whatever that's worth. No tangible evidence suggests he's anything more than buried for every possible future scenario. Remember, we had no idea between him and Pemsl a year ago. Overusing the redshirt is far moreover likely to cost us a Bohannon than it will deliver us a foreseeable payoff.

I really disagree with this. IMHO, I believe Kreiner has a better chance to start, than he does to get buried. He is a real center and can shoot the three. I think he and Garza get 30+ minutes between them at the 5. I could sure be wrong.

Hydrocodone said:

I really disagree with this. IMHO, I believe Kreiner has a better chance to start, than he does to get buried. He is a real center and can shoot the three. I think he and Garza get 30+ minutes between them at the 5. I could sure be wrong.
I couldn't agree more. If I had to bet, I think Kreiner starts to begin this year, and he and Garza battle for minutes as the season progresses. Iowa's situation at the 4/5 is a s good as I can remember it ever being.

We have a budding monster on our hands. What we don't have is a 3rd primary scorer. You need that. Moss, Garza, Pemsl probably the biggest threats. See how Garza kind of sticks out there? It's because Moss and Pemsl have proven capabilities. The more you redshirt the less you know.

If Moss fails to harness his scoring abilities we'll take the inconsistency and turn it into Williams and Ellingson as a thunder-lightning athlete-shooter duo. By now you see the GOOD aspect of redshirting - even our backup plan leaves Connor to waste. That's not happening anywhere else. Redshirting a Nunge would solely serve to put him in the exact same situation next year except then he's behind even more seasoned Forwards. How about developing the project for use 2 years from now instead?

He would not be in the same position. He would be a year further separated from the people who would hypothetically be ahead of him. He would have his last 3 years to be the guy at that spot vs only two IF he has to sit behind them.

You obviously don't get the pay off of the redshirt in year 2 you get it in year 5.

As far as Kreiner goes, thats just an absurd statement. There is clearly more tangible evidence for Kreiner being a productive player than there is for any of the freshman. I fully expect RK to average more minutes and points than either of the freshman this upcoming year.

And for JBO, in what crazy world would it have made sense to redshirt one of your only two PGs neither of whom had any actual college experience at the position?

It would have made sense had he come the year earlier, not last year.

Balancing the size of recruiting classes has to also be a consideration. Next year we graduate 1. Two years from now we graduate 3. Then we graduate 6, including Cook/Pemsl/Kreiner/Moss/JBo (Dailey is 6).

We really should shoot for 4 slots per class.

Balancing the size of recruiting classes has to also be a consideration. Next year we graduate 1. Two years from now we graduate 3. Then we graduate 6, including Cook/Pemsl/Kreiner/Moss/JBo (Dailey is 6).

We really should shoot for 4 slots per class.

Nobody can do that anymore due to the transfers. Start giving out redshirts to guys who don't want them and the problem gets worse.

How would it have made sense to redshirt JBO last sesaon? We didn't have a proven point guard returning. What would Iowa's season have looked like last year with Williams the starting point guard all year? Not good. I think. Now I could have seen redshirting Dailey last season, and Fran had that discussion. Maishe said no thanks. Again its up to the kids, at the end. Many wanted Kreiner to redshirt last year. I'm glad he didn't. He gained confidence, that he can play at this level, and he looks like he's really pushing forward right now. Play the talent, and if we lose players to transfer, much better it be because they decide they can't break the top ten rotation, then to see our leading scorer transfer three years in a row, like happened under the previous regime.
It would have been beneficial to have been able to redshirt JorBo last year but that was a luxury that didn't present itself. It turned out to be the right decision, certainly beyond most reasonable expectations.

Reactions: RocknRollface
everytime a redshirt takes place it backs up your recruiting by one year...
Thank you. Thats why I'd hate to see us redshirt either of this years bigs. First I think their going to better players, then some of the current bigs, and second we need some scholorships to open up in upcoming years, if Fran can keep the recruiting pushing forward.

Thank you. Thats why I'd hate to see us redshirt either of this years bigs. First I think their going to better players, then some of the current bigs, and second we need some scholorships to open up in upcoming years, if Fran can keep the recruiting pushing forward.

Thats kind of an if though.

After the strong class of Woody and Gessel, there was a couple years where recruting dropped off before coming back strong last year.

I dont see recruiting falling off but what I do know is that while both Freshman are clearly capable of producing this year they still may not get many minutes depending on defense and they would be absolute beasts as 5th year players.

That being said, I dont see the redshirt happening.

15-18 wins would be a terrible season for this team. Not that young anymore. Very talented. If Garza starts Hawk's will start 4 ESPN 4* recruits and last year's 6th MoY.

Except at point guard, where Hawks are merely talented, this team is talented, deep and mostly on their second trip around the big leagues. Expect 9/10 wins in OOC and 10-12 wins in B1G and 1 or more wins in the BTT. Fewer than 20 wins and an NCAA invite will be disappointing.

In light of Kreiner's unfortunate back injury during the PTL ... it may be worth watching to see how quickly that heals.

As a man with back issues - there is no quick fix with a back injury.

In light of Kreiner's unfortunate back injury during the PTL ... it may be worth watching to see how quickly that heals.

As a man with back issues - there is no quick fix with a back injury.
True, but should be a little different for a 20 yr old then us middle aged guys. Unless it was really serious, which is doubtful, he should be OK in a couple of weeks. Part of the reason these injuries keep flaring up during the season, is the players try to come back to soon. Ryan should get healthy, before coming back, even if he doesn't play in Europe, just be ready for fall workouts.

Pemsl or Garza redshirts.

Kriener is ahead of Garza at this point and no way do you burn a year of eligibility for both of them.

Nunge- based on PTL- highly doubt he redshirts.

I think there are valid reasons to consider redshirting. Gaining weight and strength or getting off to a good academic start is a good reason for a freshman. Fully recovering from injury is another compelling reason.

But, I agree that Nunge will be difficult to keep from a starting spot. I think he will pass Baer, who will remain an all-time best 6th Man throughout his career, backing up the 2, 3, and 4 spot. His shooting improved greatly towards the end of last year, he can help spread the floor,a nd do all of the things he does to make the team better coming off of the bench.

And, I am doubtful Cook is a 4 year player. Even if he does not have the full NBA skill set, I see him leaving early, maybe after this year. If he can't make the NBA, he'll still make good money overseas.

I am not sold on Dailey ever being a meaningful contributor unless there is an injury this year. Bohannon, Moss, Williams, Ellingson, and Baer will take most guard minutes. Playing time gets even more difficult for him next year with Weiskamp and McC competing for minutes. I think if he does not have significant playing time by January, it would be in his best interest to transfer at semester, sit a year, and have 2.5 years left to play at a Mid-Major.

Wagner will get his 10-15 minutes of high energy play at the 3 and 4, especially when others have foul issues. Would have liked him to take a redshirt to try his hand at Kinnick for a year.

Pemsl may have the most upside for a redshirt, especially if he is not 100%. Get him fully healthy. Let him be the prototypical Brunner-type 4 for three more years, especially if Cook leaves.

Kreiner competes with Garza for the 5. Not sure who wins out at this point, lean towards Garza. Still good minutes available for the back-up.

And then there's Uhl. This sounds really strange, but I do believe Fran does what is best for his players as individuals. Let him play in front of his family in Germany, urge him to take a senior redshirt, allowing him to graduate a Hawkeye. He takes a grad transfer to somewhere he can get good minutes.

By the middle of this season, I think the starting line-up will be pretty much set for 2.5 years.

Bohannon
Moss
Nunge
Cook (Pemsl, if Cook leaves early after this year)
Garza (or Kreiner)

I agree with most of this except that I believe weiskamp will be starter if not as a freshman at least by sophomore year. He is just too good of a talent to keep out of the starting lineup. Which means either mosss or nunge are coming off the bench. Not a bad second line to throw at opponents.

The other possibility is that if Cook were to leave Iowa Early, then perhaps nunge steps in to play the four with wiescamp playing the three and Moss at the two

Reactions: lovedwatchingLester
ADVERTISEMENT