ADVERTISEMENT

refereeing...

Quintana

HR All-American
Oct 18, 2011
Over the Hills and Far Away
Luka is going to get pummeled this year by defenders. will he get the benefit of the calls as a potential POY normally seems to get? or will we still be complaining?

conspiracists: does the league issue a statement to the refs that Luka is not to be touched to enhance his chances for national POY? or has izzo already sent a severed horse head to the league office?

I think regardless, Luka is going to be living at the line. bloody lip and all.

Luka is going to get pummeled this year by defenders. will he get the benefit of the calls as a potential POY normally seems to get? or will we still be complaining?

conspiracists: does the league issue a statement to the refs that Luka is not to be touched to enhance his chances for national POY? or has izzo already sent a severed horse head to the league office?

He likely will be, but with Bohannon, Weiskamp, and CJ shooting, nobody will be able to double him down low. This team could be crazy good.

Well, it will help if his dad refrains from ripping on refs via Twitter. The staff has asked him not to do so and to delete some past Tweets that were very critical of the refs.

Both / all of the above? Some nights he will benefit while other nights there will be some piss poor calls. He seems to get along with the refs for the most part IMO.

And we'll always complain.... he's not getting enough minutes....he's playing too much in December / January....

So you think the refs are affected by twitter comments of a parent?

I think it's more that he gets a reputation, which then leads to more focus on Luka. I mean, it happens quite a bit at the HS level, to think it doesn't happen at the college level wouldn't make any sense.

Both / all of the above? Some nights he will benefit while other nights there will be some piss poor calls. He seems to get along with the refs for the most part IMO.

And we'll always complain.... he's not getting enough minutes....he's playing too much in December / January....

This is mainly because the reffing in college really isn't very good.

Referees are an easy target. If already worried about them then it is going to be long season

this year’s team is mature enough and smart enough to adapt to way game being called. Every star player is beaten up in games. Iowa does same to other teams best players. Learn to live with it. Luka did that well last year

This is mainly because the reffing in college really isn't very good.
Lol, on this comment.

And if you or anybody really believes this, there’s nobody to blame but yourselves for the quality of college officiating.

And I’m talking about behaviors of spectators starting as early as jr high towards officials.

Reactions: EBL#7
The reffing is what it is and it is decidedly bad for Iowa most of the time. Iowa winning costs the Big Ten revenue. A good Iowa team means another bigger media market has fewer TVs tuned in, few streaming articles, fewer apparel profits, etc...

Its not just Iowa. Ask Nebraska or Goopher fans about it. The Cheatin Illini.

Some are gamblers, like Larry Scriotto. Some just don't like Iowa. Some don't like Fran, especially because he calls them out. Most are just doing their best at a hard job.

If Iowa is in the hunt for a title the officiating assignments will suddenly grow very hostile. We saw it in the 80s, especially 81 and 87. It happened in the mid 90s.

The Big Ten doesn't dislike Iowa per se but they do like money more than they care about honest competition. The officials don't need to told the preferred results. The current officiating is corrupt and any rational observer would agree. But no one will ever do anything about it because that is a bad career move and a bad marketing move.

The reffing is what it is and it is decidedly bad for Iowa most of the time. Iowa winning costs the Big Ten revenue. A good Iowa team means another bigger media market has fewer TVs tuned in, few streaming articles, fewer apparel profits, etc...

Some are gamblers, like Larry Scriotto. Some just don't like Iowa. Some don't like Fran, especially because he calls them out. Most are just doing their best at a hard job.

If Iowa is in the hunt for a title the officiating assignments will suddenly grow very hostile. We saw it in the 80s, especially 81 and 87. It happened in the mid 90s.

The Big Ten doesn't dislike Iowa per se but they do like money more than they care about honest competition. The officials don't need to told the preferred results. The current officiating is corrupt and any rational observer would agree. But no one will ever do anything about it because that is a bad career move and a bad marketing move.

Many years under Fran Iowa makes more free throws than opponents attempt. But yes, the refs are out to get Iowa. Are there individual games where officiating is bad and biased toward Iowa? Of course. Ask some of the opponents who came to Iowa last year and watched Garza shoot a bunch of free throws and a foul called whenever they tried to guard him with some physicality. It's all in perception. Iowa didn't not win the Big 10 title in the great 86-87 year due to bad officiating. They didn't win it because a) there were great teams in Purdue and Indiana who finished ahead of them and b) Iowa's defense wasn't very good if they didn't turn the other team over. The mid-90s Iowa was nowhere near to being a championship caliber team. Could have been if Street hadn't died tragically.

I think the important thing here is free throw shooting for Luka. We all wonder where he can improve from last year, and I think that’s the answer. Senior season free throw shooting could add 2-3 pts a game.

Many years under Fran Iowa makes more free throws than opponents attempt. But yes, the refs are out to get Iowa. Are there individual games where officiating is bad and biased toward Iowa? Of course. Ask some of the opponents who came to Iowa last year and watched Garza shoot a bunch of free throws and a foul called whenever they tried to guard him with some physicality. It's all in perception. Iowa didn't not win the Big 10 title in the great 86-87 year due to bad officiating. They didn't win it because a) there were great teams in Purdue and Indiana who finished ahead of them and b) Iowa's defense wasn't very good if they didn't turn the other team over. The mid-90s Iowa was nowhere near to being a championship caliber team. Could have been if Street hadn't died tragically.

Iowa had three Big Ten losses in 86-87. All three were the product of atrocious and biased officiating. The Indiana game was the worst of the three although the OSU loss was also preposterously one sided officiating.

We shoot more FTs because the McC offense is focused on, and really good at, getting the ball to inside scorers, who draw lots of fouls. Even the early years with Mel B and Z Mac much of the offense was getting the ball inside. After Whitey arrived the offense centered on him getting the ball inside. After Whitey left the offense centered the ball on getting to Ute, who was also a good outside threat. P Jok was a primary scorer and I cannot recall how the FTs ended up that season.

Next three years the offense centered on TC, then Luka and TC and finally Luka getting it low. Lots of cutting is made available as well by a low post offense. Also not all the officials are dishonest or biased. Most of them are decent.

If you don't think there are dishonest and/or biased officials I've got a bridge in Arizona to sell you. Every human endeavor has dishonest and biased participants. Sports officials are no different.

The biggest problem is the Big Ten knows what its doing because they keep the most obvious crooks (e.g. Larry Scriotto) game after game. Scriotto is obviously a gambler. I'm a gambler. I grew up gambling the night clubs my parents owned. I recognize what he is doing. Master actor as well.

We were hosed in the Nebraska game, appalling officiating. The league leader in FT attempts shot 5 and the worst team in the league shot 26. And its not just free throws, its also the obvious fouls like both the Nebraska game or the Illinois game, where we shot 15 but probably should have shot 30. Just some recent history. The difference of 13-7 and 11-9 is immense in both the BTT and the NCAA

Reactions: HAWKSRK
Good to see we’re already in mid season form complaining about basketball refs. And FB hasn’t even started. Yes, deplorable, the refs will clearly be out to stop Iowa and the Pre-season PLAYER OF THE YEAR in Luka Garza. Give me a break. He’s everybody’s player of the year already. We’ve never had this much admiration heading into a season. I’m sure the refs will have special meetings to make sure it doesn’t happen. Lol.

Reactions: EBL#7 and papabeef
Good to see we’re already in mid season form complaining about basketball refs. And FB hasn’t even started. Yes, deplorable, the refs will clearly be out to stop Iowa and the Pre-season PLAYER OF THE YEAR in Luka Garza. Give me a break. He’s everybody’s player of the year already. We’ve never had this much admiration heading into a season. I’m sure the refs will have special meetings to make sure it doesn’t happen. Lol.

You are an idiot. The Big Ten for FORTY years has been advising refs to go against Iowa when they have their games. It is why Iowa has had so little success in the Big Ten but dominated in the NCAA Tournament. That is not going to change this season...the Big Ten hates Iowa. Hell, some of these refs...have you seen them? They look like gamblers. I seen it in their eyes! And they never bet on Iowa. It's a scandal!!

Reactions: EBL#7

Virginia, there really is no Santa Claus.

Federal judges sell information from sealed indictments; take bribes, and sell results; politicians from coast to coast sell influence, votes and insider trading information; priests rape children; doctors murder babies, mobsters control the construction industry in most large American cities. Corruption exists in almost every human endeavor and has existed pretty much everywhere and through all of history. If you really think the only exception is NCAA athletics then please promise that you will never serve on a jury because your credulousness has robbed you of critical thinking skills.

All that FCR and junior high sportsmanship chatter we all heard in youth sports is just bullshit intended to keep children on the straight and narrow. That is not how the real world works. The more money involved the more corruption you get. College sports is a commercial enterprise involving billions of dollars.

The networks/media make enormous money by massively supporting the schools they hype. The NCAA and the various P5 conferences make enormous money by ensuring those same programs deliver. The officials can read the names on the jerseys and don't need a "meeting" to know who is supposed to win a given game. The officials know MSU is not supposed to lose Big Ten games, hence the truly outrageous officiating benefits Sparty gets in around 14 league games a year. The league does nothing to meaningfully discipline much less fire the officials that are either corrupt or utterly incompetent. That means the league approves of the results they are getting from the current officials. Ted Valentine is back and he's actually expressed a preference for one of the league members, Sparty of course.

There's a maxim in the law, conspiracies are usually proven through circumstantial evidence. No one sits down at the Big Ten office and says let's help Sparty or those putrid Hoosiers and **** Iowa, they don't need to.

That is how the real world really works Virginia.

You are an idiot. The Big Ten for FORTY years has been advising refs to go against Iowa when they have their games. It is why Iowa has had so little success in the Big Ten but dominated in the NCAA Tournament. That is not going to change this season...the Big Ten hates Iowa. Hell, some of these refs...have you seen them? They look like gamblers. I seen it in their eyes! And they never bet on Iowa. It's a scandal!!

Stick to trivia, telling people to kill themselves and belittling cancer survivors. Avoid critical thinking. Its not your strong suite.

They don't "advise." See above. They don't have to. Of course there are games where the gamblers are betting on Iowa. Duh. If you knew shit about sports betting, and you obviously do not, the officials always-always-factor into a line. Most games the officiating is pretty straight up. But the right officials in the right situation 3 to 5 games per season per team and it all works out the way online pundits and network executives need it to work out.

I should just nuke you, and believe me I can, but I'm not sure your personality disorder would understand it. After all, you have yet again demonstrated yourself to be a pitiful creature, ridiculed throughout life, relying on sports trivia, grade school name calling and stupid snark for any sense of self esteem. So call me all the names you want and keep insulting and attacking the other posters as well. You simply do not matter; not to me, not to anyone on this board and not anywhere else.

Last edited:

Covid19 baby??? Physical big 10 basketball shouldn't exist!! :)

What playing a team when they just foul all day and the refs decide they can't blow their whistle all day? That makes it acceptable?

I think your tin foil hat might be a bit too snug.

Last edited:
What playing a team when they just foul all day and the refs decide they can't blow their whistle all day? That makes it acceptable?

What game has what you described happened in? Yes, 2013 BTT against Michigan State was terrible but one terrible game doesn't mean a conspiracy against Iowa exists. The last time I can see refereeing costing Iowa a conference title was 1982 at Purdue. The Jim Bain game where Iowa led by 1 at the end and Bain calls a foul against Kevin Boyle, who was about 20 feet away from where he said the foul occurred.

Reactions: papabeef
Also last I saw Virginia and Texas Tech of all teams were in the National championship game. Since clearly nobody wanted Texas Tech to be there, and UVA has been a step child of Duke and UNC, how did this happen deplorable? That rambling bullshit you posted makes Ottumwan in Texas look like a genius. Carry on brother.

From a rival’s point of view, it appears to non-Iowa fans that Garza whines about calls more than any player in the league. His facial expressions are classic. Ask pretty much any fan base in the league. I just ran into a thread on the Rutgers board talking about it. Lol

Great player, though.

Referees are an easy target. If already worried about them then it is going to be long season

this year’s team is mature enough and smart enough to adapt to way game being called. Every star player is beaten up in games. Iowa does same to other teams best players. Learn to live with it. Luka did that well last year
great post

gotta be the stupidest post i have seen in months . wow

combes is right, he's got nothin to whine about...

9780893.jpg

Luka-Garza-Nose-Bleed-Illinois.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

What game has what you described happened in? Yes, 2013 BTT against Michigan State was terrible but one terrible game doesn't mean a conspiracy against Iowa exists. The last time I can see refereeing costing Iowa a conference title was 1982 at Purdue. The Jim Bain game where Iowa led by 1 at the end and Bain calls a foul against Kevin Boyle, who was about 20 feet away from where he said the foul occurred.
I've seen refs swallow their whistles many times after quickly getting a team in foul trouble and drastically changing the game. Usually brought on by extreme bitching by fans or coach it would seem.

Hard to believe it's been 40 years since you have.

Stick to trivia, telling people to kill themselves and belittling cancer survivors. Avoid critical thinking. Its not your strong suite.

They don't "advise." See above. They don't have to. Of course there are games where the gamblers are betting on Iowa. Duh. If you knew shit about sports betting, and you obviously do not, the officials always-always-factor into a line. Most games the officiating is pretty straight up. But the right officials in the right situation 3 to 5 games per season per team and it all works out the way online pundits and network executives need it to work out.

I should just nuke you, and believe me I can, but I'm not sure your personality disorder would understand it. After all, you have yet again demonstrated yourself to be a pitiful creature, ridiculed throughout life, relying on sports trivia, grade school name calling and stupid snark for any sense of self esteem. So call me all the names you want and keep insulting and attacking the other posters as well. You simply do not matter; not to me, not to anyone on this board and not anywhere else.

Ted, you’ve proven over and over on this site that you lack any sort of intelligence or knowledge when it comes to Iowa basketball. Remember your inside info on Jeff Peterson being a problem at Georgetown? Lol.

Reactions: littlez
The people who are engaged in name calling are just proving my point. Name calling and stupid snark is what people say when they have nothing intelligent to say.

Your childlike naivete would be charming if you were just nicer. But you should know you are the zebras, no pun intended (Papa Beef is an official I think) upon which the lions prey. The lions absolutely count on your credulity. And you will always deliver. Always.

By the way, if the officials don't matter why are they factored into every line in every team sport?

As one who spent 31 years officiating in the Big 10 Conference (baseball, not basketball), I can assure all of you who suspect that conspiracies to screw certain players and certain teams exist - it simply is not true. Referees (officials in all sports) are human beings, and as such make mistakes. As humans, they are subject to bias toward or against players or coaches who don't treat them with dignity. Beyond that, all of you who think officials screw Iowa because the conference doesn't want Iowa to succeed, you are delusional.

ADVERTISEMENT