ADVERTISEMENT

Refs.

How are they picked for the national tourney and what are there names? Cant seem to find out much about that. Thanks

NCAA Wrestling official (Championship version). Serious question, is this the same guy who officiated the Iowa vs Tennessee basketball game? Hosssssed!

From the "front lines" in Pittsburgh PA.

While no one wants to say it, I certainly will!!!

The Officiating WAS impartial, Bias, and BAD!!!

Someone posted somewhere, "do you think the ref was trying to screw the kid?" YES is the ONLY conclusion you could draw!

In the Nolf semi-final match. The HEAD official awarded the 2. It was the side ref. who then called him over. WITHOUT a challenge for F*** St. they decided to review it which is concerning in itself!

They then got it WRONG after watching on video replay and having a conversation with hands over their mouths!

It was also very clear to see the difference in the way the officials called matches when IOWA was Wrestling! The Bull against the eventual champ and the lack of any stall calls was questionable.

The DeSanto's match where the kid was backing up and Desanto shoots him out of bounds and IOWA gets hit for stalling is unbelievable!!!

The officials in the Nolf match should be removed from the sport. I would also say the one in the Desantos match also!

I think most teams took one in the ass this weekend...so it was universally bad. For Iowa, the Cash, Stoll, and DeSanto stall calls. As Art pointed out, they guys that are creating the action and winning are getting called in the third period. I didn’t see it yet but Young caught a break against NW.

Normally, they clean it up for the finals but they hosed that too.

I stated directly to a Psu fan that the refs are ruining the sport. Making calls like the one when AD shot the guy out and he even agreed that the Nolf match was biased.

I wonder what it's going to take to get the rule changes we've been clamoring for? I don't know why there's resistance to the step out. Reviews are easy to fix as well; loss of a point if review isn't successful, independent reviewer, and limit the things that can be reviewed. And riding is out of control; who knows what stalling looks like anymore? Simply eliminate the RT point. Gotta keep it simple.

This would be a great time for Tom x2, John, and Cael to come together to advocate for a better product.

After watching the tournament this week, I no longer have any idea what constitutes a takedown.

It seemed that every third or fourth match I found myself saying either, “Well that’s two” only to find out it wasn’t, or I would say, “No way that’s a takedown” only to find out that today it is.

Of course the next match it all went out the door as the fluidity of what was 2 points was constantly in flux.

And don’t get me started on what is considered stalling, hands to the face, stopping matches with coaches questioning judgment calls with 2 officials on the mat to give lung timeouts, the nonsense of a guy reviewing his own call.....

Shit needs to be corrected this off-season because it’s going in the wrong direction right now IMHO

Last edited:
Would love if they took the damn brick away from the coaches. Takes all the flow out of the matches. Very rare that anything is overturned

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Its broken and before it ruins the sport needs to be fixed. We can start with the refs loosing the chip being humble and admitting there is a serious problem and room for improvement.

I think most teams took one in the ass this weekend...so it was universally bad. For Iowa, the Cash, Stoll, and DeSanto stall calls. As Art pointed out, they guys that are creating the action and winning are getting called in the third period. I didn’t see it yet but Young caught a break against NW.

Normally, they clean it up for the finals but they hosed that too.
In think Cash got screwed the worst .

OK here we go with my 2 cents.

The hands to the face became nothing but BS. Needs to be changed to where it is only called if it is very apparent and it was done intentionally! This should NOT be something that can be challenged.

Besides the giving the guy a "lunger" and messing the flow of the match up. What everyone seems to not take into account is the "live factor" of a call on the match. This can been seen in the 174 finals.

Once Valancia was reward 2 on the challenged takedown. It effects the reactions of how he wrestles moving forward. In other words. When the takedown is award, the Wrestlers thinking he has the 2, may not keep fighting to improve his position. May hold his position in a tough scramble, etc.... He can not know, or wrestle differently because a challenge may change the call!

In other words you can not rewind and say ok, lets get back as we were and start again from this point. These challenges also must be eliminated.

In tough scrambles like these I think the side ref. should become more involved. Maybe getting closer to the action and communicating with the head guy. The head guy could be saying something like, "He doesn't have control, no control, Got the hand to the far leg, I have control what you see?" Side Ref could say "agree" and 2 can be awarded.

FULLY UNDERSTAND it would not be easy, is not simple or perfect, but you can not "go back" and change live situations that could change how the Wrestlers wrestle.

I would also like to see 1 "free" challenge per dual meet. If you get it right you keep it. If wrong you lose it and the next one cost you a team point. 2 wrong max.

In tourns. it gets a little more tricky because the amount of wrestlers per team varies. I like the idea of giving a % based on number of Wrestlers and doing the same type of thing as duals.

Have to cut down on the challenges is the point.

Wrestler A controls the tie, wrestler B backs up until hes on the edge, wrestler A shoots, wrestler B takes a sloppy counter shot, wrestler A sprawls and gets hit with a stall. Saw that all weekend. Easy fix is a push out rule. Wrestler B better circle before the edge or its a one point push out.

Well I've come to the conclusion people got screwed before replay and new rules, and they still get screwed with them. Just get rid of it. ( and my usual caveat that Officiating is a damn tough gig, so Thank You to those willing to do it)
When you make such a horrible call like Rivera made in the Nolf match you suspend him for a couple weeks. Maybe that might work. Nothing else is working and you just don't cop out by saying, well give officials a break because it's a tough job.

There were a lot of bright spots from the weekend in officiating and I don’t want this to come off as all of the officiating was bad but man there were some major issues.

1. Reviews: if you are going to have reviews then fix it. Don’t have officials reviewing their own calls matside on a single camera that doesn’t provide the best angles. Use the ESPN angles and have independent review. Some of these calls were a travesty (Yianni/McKenna two different times, Nolf/Hidlay)

2. Edge stalling was woefully inconsistent. As a Hawkeye fan my main complaints were obviously Desanto/Pletcher and Wilcke/Dean. Desanto shot him off the mat and got hit with stalling which is counter to the way the rule was written in every way. Not to mention the fact he took almost all the shots in the match. Wilcke was getting moved around the mat by Dean but continued to circle and outshot Dean 10/1 but got hit with stalling 3 times which forced OT and the L. Wilcke was even taking bad shots the last two periods to avoid going out of bounds.

3. What the hell is a takedown anymore? Half the time a guy wouldn’t get the two because his opponent still had the leg then the other half it didn’t matter (Marinelli/Lewis). If the hardcore fans and media can’t figure out what a takedown is then the system is broke.

When you make such a horrible call like Rivera made in the Nolf match you suspend him for a couple weeks. Maybe that might work. Nothing else is working and you just don't cop out by saying, well give officials a break because it's a tough job.
Show me where I said anything of the sort Albert.

I believe Yianni also got called for stalling while in on a single leg. Kyle Dake was being interviewed at the time and had no qualms immediately calling the official out on ESPN saying that was the worst call in the history of wrestling. Thought it was pretty funny to hear someone throw shade at a ref like that on tv, though it was 100% well deserved. The officiating was a mess all weekend.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
This past weekend was the first weekend I've watched a lot of the tourney since I actually attended the tourney in Omaha. My observations and this is on the tourney as a whole...

1. The officiating was overall pretty poor and very inconsistent. I don't know what the answer is for this, but it's almost as if the officials could use a "two day training camp" or something prior to the tourney where they all gather together, collaborate and try to somehow get on the same page to have a somewhat consistent approach.

2. This whole hands to the face deal is mind numbing. I don't understand why this can be challenged now, and it seems to me that this is now much more controversial than before.

3. Coaches throw the brick early and often. I believe it has a negative impact on both wrestlers in many occasions. It interrupts the flow of the match, and sometimes the reviews take way too long. Yes, sometimes it can be viewed as a "lung timeout" for one or both of the wrestlers, but I do think for the most part that wrestlers want the match to move along as it helps keep their rhythm. Although it's difficult to determine what's appropriate, I would love to see some sort of penalty for challenges that aren't overturned upon review....to the next point.

4. Fair amount of instances where challenges were not overturned (or overturned) following review that did not seem to make sense. Even as an "armchair referee", there were instances that left me scratching my head on the decision made following the review.

5. Please start hammering the guys that just put a leg in (or double boots), and do nothing with it. It's baffling to me how the bottom guy gets dinged while the top guy basically just sits there and rides parallel. To me, it's plainly obvious when a leg rider is actually trying to turn someone versus "just riding".

6. This isn't related to the tournament itself, just college wrestling as a whole. Get rid of the dam riding time point. The guys that are riding to actually turn their opponent aren't looking for the point anyway. They're looking for the fall and/or near fall points. I hate seeing a guy go down in defeat because the other was able to barely hang on long enough to hit a minute in riding time.

These are my simple opinions based on what I observed, and I don't know the answers of course; However, there's got to be a way that the officials can get together and collaborate before the tourney to try and create some level of consistency in their approach to matches. I don't want to hammer the officials given it is indeed a very difficult job, but there were way too many, what I would deem extreme variances, in the approach to officiating last week.

Just my two cents. Cheers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT