ADVERTISEMENT

Register digging up dirt on Carson King

I am just now reading this thread. Had no idea this DMR thing had occurred. On a related note, tonight I spent three hours with three players I coached a few years back who are now into year three post-high school.

I'm working with all three to open some doors for them, get them job shadowing opportunities and such. One of the things I told them was that they need to scrub the shit out of their social media immediately, that I won't put my name on the line for any of them until they're social media is squeaky clean.

I now have this story as a great example of how social media can become a very real problem.

Edit to add that the notion that all media is anything—good, bad, tall, short, whatever—is a bit irrational. There is good journalism out there—really good journalism. It's simply not popular because it's not designed for easy, candy-assed clicking.

Last edited:
Said this is on the FB board but I’m sad that the DMR is going down in flames. Local journalism is important for a community like DSM.

Having said that, they’ve dug their own grave with this. It’s ok to admit you’re wrong but they haven’t done that in either lengthy press release. That just pisses people off more.

They’ve lost the public trust and, given the public perception of media and newspapers, it’s not coming back. Likely ever.

Said this is on the FB board but I’m sad that the DMR is going down in flames. Local journalism is important for a community like DSM.

Having said that, they’ve dug their own grave with this. It’s ok to admit you’re wrong but they haven’t done that in either lengthy press release. That just pisses people off more.

They’ve lost the public trust and, given the public perception of media and newspapers, it’s not coming back. Likely ever.

Granted..The Register has lost the battle of perception on this one (and many others)....,.Personally, and I have been battered mightily for it, The Register is the scapegoat here.....InBev/AB are the ones who pulled back on this,,,,,not The Register.
The Register has fired the writer...and no doubt they will deal with the other players as they see fit...they will review "policies" so this type of thing wont happen again......The Register made some mistakes here, no doubt....but to accuse them for being responsible for the actions of a separate corporation is silly. It seems to me that InBev/AB could have done some of their own "due diligence" before backing away....seems to me it was more a move of financial connvenience that ethical concern. I don't drink InBev/AB products, so my protest will be........I will start hating the Cardinals!

Reactions: Herkmeister
Granted..The Register has lost the battle of perception on this one (and many others)....,.Personally, and I have been battered mightily for it, The Register is the scapegoat here.....InBev/AB are the ones who pulled back on this,,,,,not The Register.
The Register has fired the writer...and no doubt they will deal with the other players as they see fit...they will review "policies" so this type of thing wont happen again......The Register made some mistakes here, no doubt....but to accuse them for being responsible for the actions of a separate corporation is silly. It seems to me that InBev/AB could have done some of their own "due diligence" before backing away....seems to me it was more a move of financial connvenience that ethical concern. I don't drink InBev/AB products, so my protest will be........I will start hating the Cardinals!

Looks like someone has a soft spot for the Register. Who do you think called AB and tattled on Carson about his not-so-flattering tweets? It wasn't Carson himself.

While I agree AB made a knee-jerk reaction to end the relationship, at least they are still honoring their commitment to match donations through the end of the month.

That brings us back to the Register. The editor doubled down trying to justify her actions, which pissed people off even more. Now we're supposed to be satisfied since the reporter, whose work she authorized to be released, got fired.

As a resident of Des Moines, I couldn't care less if they went out of business tomorrow.

The DMR formerly the paper Iowa relies upon has sunk to a new low. The non apology was another poor effort. Carol Hunter is a poor leader. Reminds me of the ‘I am sorry you got mad’ no ‘I am sorry for what I did’

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Carson King has made appearances on every national and local media outlet and is one of the most talked-about people in America. So naturally the Des Moines Register was concerned about him absconding with the money. And when your background check turns up two 8-year-old racially insensitive tweets, that's clear evidence of his potential to commit fraud (let's just conveniently ignore the much more recent racially SENSITIVE tweet). Nope, the evidence is clear on this...racists are more prone to leave cancer-ridden kids holding the bag. That's some real crack investigative journalism there, Carol. That she thought this second ham-handed and intelligence-insulting attempt at justifying her laughably inept editorial acumen would make things better, shows just how amateurish she and her "news" organization truly are.

Carol Hunter is determined to single-handedly take down the register. Is she guaranteed a pension if she gets fired? Is it possible for her to get fired? Does she have a boss?

Scapegoating the Reporter in hopes of appeasing the mob while still trying to explain to everyone why you're right just proves how tone deaf she is. She still thinks this is about 'inappropriate' tweets, and doesn't understand that it's about the culture at the register (and in general) that would cause them to dig into a guy's distant past to bring him down. She doesn't understand that Iowan's are fed up with it.

Fwiw, my bowling league had several people refusing to drink Busch Lite last night.

Of course a couple thought Bud Lite was ok.

Fascinating study on marketing, journalism, ethics, viral stories, and probably a few other areas.

I feel sorry for King. He really should come out of this rich and won’t.

Carol Hunter is determined to single-handedly take down the register. Is she guaranteed a pension if she gets fired? Is it possible for her to get fired? Does she have a boss?

Scapegoating the Reporter in hopes of appeasing the mob while still trying to explain to everyone why you're right just proves how tone deaf she is. She still thinks this is about 'inappropriate' tweets, and doesn't understand that it's about the culture at the register (and in general) that would cause them to dig into a guy's distant past to bring him down. She doesn't understand that Iowan's are fed up with it.

Totally agree. ^^ At this point it seems clear to me that the woke folks at the DMR simply lack the capacity to "look in the mirror" and see the error of their ways OR they can see it, but stubborn pride prevents them from copping to it.

In any event, it is a sad, sad spectacle and very telling of the culture in that organization.

Reactions: thewop and ghost80
Carson King has made appearances on every national and local media outlet and is one of the most talked-about people in America. So naturally the Des Moines Register was concerned about him absconding with the money. And when your background check turns up two 8-year-old racially insensitive tweets, that's clear evidence of his potential to commit fraud (let's just conveniently ignore the much more recent racially SENSITIVE tweet). Nope, the evidence is clear on this...racists are more prone to leave cancer-ridden kids holding the bag. That's some real crack investigative journalism there, Carol. That she thought this second ham-handed and intelligence-insulting attempt at justifying her laughably inept editorial acumen would make things better, shows just how amateurish she and her "news" organization truly are.

Not to mention that one of the matching organizations is Venmo, the company he is receiving the donations through. I would assume they will be triple checking the amounts coming through their own platform.

This is what Aaron Calvin said in a buzzfeed article, “I recognize that I’m not the first person to be doxed like this — this whole campaign was taken up by right-wing ideologues and largely driven by that force,” he said. “It was just a taste of what I assume that women and journalists of color suffer all the time, but the kind of locality and regional virality of the story made it so intense.”

This is what Aaron Calvin said in a buzzfeed article, “I recognize that I’m not the first person to be doxed like this — this whole campaign was taken up by right-wing ideologues and largely driven by that force,” he said. “It was just a taste of what I assume that women and journalists of color suffer all the time, but the kind of locality and regional virality of the story made it so intense.”

What a twerp. Can't take responsibility for his own racism and homophobia.

What a piece of shit. He also said he regrets his apology tweet for his racist past. He has no remorse and no awareness whatsoever.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Get out.. lol!

Obviously this is a last ditch effort by playing the victim card. Will get to see who on here are the crazy ass lunatics by who comes out and tries to defend Calvin.

Does anyone know what the two tweets that’s started this $&@€ storm actually were. If they were quotes from Tosh (which is my understanding) then I can’t believe they were really that bad. I’d like to know how “offensive” they were— we talking “black ladies in the movie theaters so loud”?

Also find it funny that AB supported Tosh, but when someone references show they try and distance themselves.

Obviously this is a last ditch effort by playing the victim card. Will get to see who on here are the crazy ass lunatics by who comes out and tries to defend Calvin.
Lol. Not sure if you noticed, but we are on page 8 and nobody on here is defending him. Nice try.

See the journalist’s comment to buzzfeed. He claims he was ousted because of right wingers doxing him.

This was pretty universal. Everyone thinks the guy is a douche.
I know. He is a turd for sure. My original response was to the poster above stating he could not wait to the crazy ass posters here come to his defense. No liberal posters here had been or will be defending the douche canoe nor think his excuse is valid.

Reactions: runkpanole

It was more like a heaping serving of humble pie, it appears he didn’t get the message.

Got to meet Carson today. Guy is just a genuine nice guy. Super humble and friendly to everyone that he talked to. It was like George Clooney walked into the room when he came in from all the whispers and people excited to see him.

Got to meet Carson today. Guy is just a genuine nice guy. Super humble and friendly to everyone that he talked to. It was like George Clooney walked into the room when he came in from all the whispers and people excited to see him.

I wouldn't be excited to see George Clooney.

another case of get woke, go broke

Yes, it's all one big right wing conspiracy that he got fired. It has zero to do with someone did something good and the DMR tried to tear him apart because that is what the left does........bring down decent people. This is the party many on here willingly support.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT