ADVERTISEMENT

Relative’s home or hotel?

When you visit family do you stay in a hotel or with them?

• Hotel

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Their House

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Shack up with hooker

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

swagsurfer02

HB King
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2010
So my SIL and her three girls (8, 5, 2) staying with us this week. Last week the two older girls flew back to the west coast from the Midwest with the wife.

We both grew up in large families during the 80’s so it was pretty modest. As you can imagine, house is a bit of a mess but it’s not terrible. Plus not too much family out here so guests are welcome, weather is hot and we have the pool outback.

I don’t mind it so much, but I was wondering if this is usual?

If we are the only visitors, typically we'll stay with family if they have a guest space. If they don't have a guest space or other visitors are intending on staying, we get hotel.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
If my wife and I are together a hotel. My wife will stay with a relative usually if she is by herself, a female cousin her age for example. I’ve graduated in life. I want the space and I don’t want to impose. At this stage of life I don’t need an aunt or MIL worrying about prepping a spare room that nobody has used for 6+ months.

If my wife and I are together a hotel. My wife will stay with a relative usually if she is by herself, a female cousin her age for example. I’ve graduated in life. I want the space and I don’t want to impose. At this stage of life I don’t need an aunt or MIL worrying about prepping a spare room that nobody has used for 6+ months.
If a family member calls and say they will be in town to visit/stay, we offer up the house. If they say they'll get a hotel, no problem.

Neighbors next door have family in from Mizzou and are staying with them, they have 3 kids. And their grandkids are staying as well (they live in town) so a houseful and they like to sit by the fire at night. It's annoying at midnight when they are using their outdoor voices, but we don't raise a stink.

We stay at my brother's house when visiting CR family. large house and has room.
We stay at son's house in Florida when visiting.
Here in our summer home friends and relatives stay here as we have three rooms.
Where we reside in the winter the house only has two bedrooms. The spare only has a single bed in it so friends and family would have to stay at the Microtel.

If a family member calls and say they will be in town to visit/stay, we offer up the house. If they say they'll get a hotel, no problem.

Neighbors next door have family in from Mizzou and are staying with them, they have 3 kids. And their grandkids are staying as well (they live in town) so a houseful and they like to sit by the fire at night. It's annoying at midnight when they are using their outdoor voices, but we don't raise a stink.
Have you tried walking around naked inside your house with the curtains open?

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
You should really shack up w/ the SIL at a hotel.

Too much risk that you'll get caught at a relative's house.

Our respective mothers always want us to stay with them while visiting but neither have decent beds in their guest rooms so we opt out and stay at a local hotel instead.

tBW and I now have three spare bedrooms all with quality beds and mattresses so we’re always happy to host visitors and most of them usually stay with us when visiting.

Would need a Pic of your SIL to have any worthwhile input.

Last edited:
Family is always welcome at our place here in Florida. If I’m visiting Iowa I always stay at my sisters, she would be upset if we didn’t. Other than that it’s hotel for us as I don’t like staying at families houses. Especially my wife’s family lol.

I made sure my house has a spare bedroom and a bonus room for my brother and my fiancee's (no pics) siblings when they come over (bonus room for the kids to make forts/camp in).

Hotel. Mostly due to the morning routine. I like to be the 1st one up and have proper use of coffee maker and facilities on my terms.

Depends on the set up of family or friends. If they have the right set up, we will stay with them but only for a couple nights max as to not wear out our welcome.

Depends on the set up of family or friends. If they have the right set up, we will stay with them but only for a couple nights max as to not wear out our welcome.

Would need a Pic of your SIL to have any worthwhile input.

Won’t post a pic of SIL but she looks like Ashley Green from Twilight, short hair but about 6’ barefoot.

X2iSmdlUjc-1xyGRkQOIsMUyzc_1PC7wkoy9ZQpdIQq3CWfK6v4JeoukQsBXXcDVCo1IqjMgnSaotXCE5zt9

Reactions: seminoleed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT