ADVERTISEMENT

Relax, everything is fixable.

animal-house-kevin-bacon.gif

One thing I sure hope they do fix is the snap and offensive line movement. Sure seemed like our line was moving a fraction before the ball was snapped (as noted in the game thread). Even if not called a penalty, it seemed to give the DL a split second advantage on their rush - and it’s gonna kill the effectiveness of the QB sneak!

One thing I sure hope they do fix is the snap and offensive line movement. Sure seemed like our line was moving a fraction before the ball was snapped (as noted in the game thread). Even if not called a penalty, it seemed to give the DL a split second advantage on their rush - and it’s gonna kill the effectiveness of the QB sneak!
Just didn't seem like the Oline was in synch today. Pisses me off because this is just a continuation of what I saw for the most part last year. Blocking isn't that hard. A lot of whiffs and standing around. Not engaging the defense and enforcing their will, they seem content to let the defense come to them. Iowa isn't attacking with their line.

Missing our top two wide receivers, starting running back, three new offensive interior linemen and limiting ourselves to six basic running plays while facing a defensive front with two FCS all Americans. Next week against ISU will tell the tale. Fixable, plus koolade is great on a hot day. 😎❤️🏈
Great post!

I agree with you but even if he does come back this year he's liable to be triple covered every play because Iowa has no other options.
I hope so…. because we do….. first game….The level of panic here…. wouldn’t want to be in a foxhole with you Nancys
Hey, not all is lost. We've got a great defense and perhaps the best punter in the country!
with a tired ass leg

Missing our top two wide receivers, starting running back, three new offensive interior linemen and limiting ourselves to six basic running plays while facing a defensive front with two FCS all Americans. Next week against ISU will tell the tale. Fixable, plus koolade is great on a hot day. 😎❤️🏈
This board is currently way too toxic for posters to give your post the benefit of the doubt.

I'm even tired of Spencer ... and want to see a QB change ... but even I realize that putting a new QB behind the pass-pro I witnessed today still wouldn't be a recipe for much more success.

Reactions: hawkcub
I hope so…. because we do….. first game….The level of panic here…. wouldn’t want to be in a foxhole with you Nancys

with a tired ass leg
Hey, you must be new here! Welcome to the boards. Also, where have you been the last three years?

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
I agree with you but even if he does come back this year he's liable to be triple covered every play because Iowa has no other options.

Great! That means our QB will throw to him because he loves to throw to receivers being double and triple covered...shows off that 70 yard cannon of an arm...:mad:

That's really simplistic, mean and uncalled for. SP-I apologize. This isn't strictly a SP issue it is much bigger than one player or any player. The problem is systemic and cultural...and it starts and ends at the very top.

Reactions: unclesammy
Everyone keeps blaming BF and SP, this is all on KF and no one else. KF has had a offense problem for years. Yet nothing has been done.
KF has always taken the heat and deflected the praise for what is happening. He doesn't throw players or coaches under the bus like some HCs. I seriously doubt that he's happy with what has transpired over the past 2 years but he can't do much about it now without firing his son and the o-line coach, but that's not in his DNA. I suspect that if things don't get a lot better as the year goes on, we'll see changes after the season. But for now, buckle up because it's probably going to be a rough season!

Reactions: Ignored
I mean honestly I didn’t have a problem with the playcalling, and there were open targets….so I’m not sure the receivers were the problem…could the oline improve? sure….but the offense isn’t going anywhere when the QB can’t hit ANY open targets and holds onto the ball like a statue….that screen play was nearly criminal. Yes….he was under intense pressure….but that’s the design of a screen! And Williams had a lot of green in front of him…

I don’t think we have seen returns from our OL coach yet either. Proctor was there yesterday. Hopefully he does have a change of heart.

Reactions: Ignored
I mean honestly I didn’t have a problem with the playcalling, and there were open targets….so I’m not sure the receivers were the problem…could the oline improve? sure….but the offense isn’t going anywhere when the QB can’t hit ANY open targets and holds onto the ball like a statue….that screen play was nearly criminal. Yes….he was under intense pressure….but that’s the design of a screen! And Williams had a lot of green in front of him…
You want maybe just a tiny bit less pressure than what that play was. Right in his face immediately. But yes he should trust it and float the ball rather than how he did throw it.

I think offensive line will improve over time, pass blocking will have to make drastic steps forward. Williams, KJ coming back will help of course. I think Petras problems will stay the same unfortunately. He has been our qb going on the third year now, great kid ... just not a starting power 5 qb. Overthrowing open receivers, inability to see receivers that are open downfield, will not improve, imo. Think the kid is a great young guy, but his problems at qb at this point in his career are just inexcusable. Our O line did not do him any favors either. Shocked really that Ferentz did not dip into the transfer portal for a qb in the off season.

Everything is fixable.

Bring in a new OC and give him the reins to the Offense.

Hit the portal for a new QB or 2. If there is nobody on the roster better than what we’re starting, then that should be a glaring signal that we need to bring in some new QB’s.

Hit the portal hard next year selling our new OC and that we’re changing things on the O. Selling a great chance at immediate playing time at a B10 school.

A B10 school that typically has a very good Defense and often gives the O good field position.

There is no excuse for fielding half a team in these days of the portal.
This!

I think some things are fixable, O line has to improve, pass and run blocking cannot get any worse than what we saw Saturday. I do not think Petras is fixable, 3rd year in the program and the kid is still making overthrows, missing wide open receivers. Too bad,l like Petras, says all the right things, undoubtably works hard, and seem to be well liked by his teammates. Just do not believe he will change at this point in his career.

Great post!
Thanks. Football games have three Elements : Defense, Offense and Special teams. A+ for defense, A+ for special teams, and C-. Things that killed us on O: OL for the most part had at least three guys every play that whiffed. Jones had a bad day at the office. BUT, he had a few plays where he drove his DL to Hannibal. Best performance was Richman at LT was very good at locking up his man. DeJong was okay, actually better than having him at tackle. Now the right side was putting their hats on their man, but slipped off to soon. Put Colby back at RG and move Stephens to RT. Suits their talents better. 😎❤️🏈

Reactions: mickv
ADVERTISEMENT