ADVERTISEMENT

Remaining Targets for 2018

Not sure where the confusion is.. our entire linebacker crop of recruits only have offers from FCS schools. We should be recruiting at a higher lever than that. Especially with our reputation. Losing Honas was huge. Ugh.
you say that as if the coaches didn’t try to recruit higher ranked kids.

Not sure where the confusion is.. our entire linebacker crop of recruits only have offers from FCS schools. We should be recruiting at a higher lever than that. Especially with our reputation. Losing Honas was huge. Ugh.

Well, first the post didn't make much sense. Check the grammar. Second,
Doyle is a good LB recruit. And they recruited Craddieth as kind of a S/LB hybrid that Parker was just talking about the other day. Similar to Colbert.

And if you just evaluate based on offers, I don't know what to tell you.

Here is a poster that needs depression medication.

This is what happens when you can’t dispute a word I said. Go ahead and attempt to insult me. You’re more than welcome to believe this haul of LB recruits is a phenomenal addition, but common sense and all the evidence points to them being big time projects.

Specifically, other than their lack of known Power 5 offers, can you point out what you don't like about them? Would be interested in your analysis here.

Lol you kidding?

Oh, that’s cute - you thought Kirk saw something that the other 135 FBS teams didn’t?

Well for starters, Benson is 6’ and currently under 200lbs according to his HS coach at Washington. Most Div 1 safeties have better measurables. He could be a fantastic player and *gasp* the NEXT JOSEY JEWELL; or he could be a huge reach and a big time project.

Continue on being a homer, though. He must have been overlooked by every other Power 5 Coach. I’m glad Kirk could find us this diamond in the rough, though!

Reactions: iamia
This is what happens when you can’t dispute a word I said. Go ahead and attempt to insult me. You’re more than welcome to believe this haul of LB recruits is a phenomenal addition, but common sense and all the evidence points to them being big time projects.

Lol you kidding?

Oh, that’s cute - you thought Kirk saw something that the other 135 FBS teams didn’t?

Well for starters, Benson is 6’ and currently under 200lbs according to his HS coach at Washington. Most Div 1 safeties have better measurables. He could be a fantastic player and *gasp* the NEXT JOSEY JEWELL; or he could be a huge reach and a big time project.

Continue on being a homer, though. He must have been overlooked by every other Power 5 Coach. I’m glad Kirk could find us this diamond in the rough, though!

Most HS recruits are projects and aren't expected to come in and produce from day one. I can't tell if you are trolling or serious. You seem to be really worked up about this.

Reactions: RogerKint and nu2u
Was expecting a shitty response and got one. Nice work. Must be exhausting and depressing going through life like that.

Reactions: RogerKint
Doyle is a good LB recruit.
And if you just evaluate based on offers, I don't know what to tell you.

Specifically, why is Doyle such a good recruit?

Because Iowa signed him?

Because he’s from IC?

Full on homer status going on here this morning. It just kills some of you to acknowledge that our haul of linebackers recruits is just “average”. It is what it is. Not surprised with Kirk anymore.

Reactions: bgrams7
Was expecting a shitty response and got one. Nice work. Must be exhausting and depressing going through life like that.

Hahahaha what a weak response.

Pleas go on, tell me why Benson is such a good prospect. I told you why I feel he’s a reach, now tell me why you think he isn’t.

Specifically, why is Doyle such a good recruit?

Because Iowa signed him?

Because he’s from IC?

Full on homer status going on here this morning. It just kills some of you to acknowledge that our haul of linebackers recruits in just “average”. It is what it is. Not surprised with Kirk anymore.

I feel sorry for you. You must be really miserable. So I am going to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Hope you can find some peace.

Most HS recruits are projects and aren't expected to come in and produce from day one. I can't tell if you are trolling or serious. You seem to be really worked up about this.

What?

Benson is under 200 lbs and didn’t have a single real offer besides ours. Get real.

You stating most prospects are projects has nothing to do with the fact we just signed our 2nd LB without any other real interest other than the Hawkeyes.

Are you trolling?

Reactions: JoelBittner
I feel sorry for you. You must be really miserable. So I am going to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Hope you can find some peace.

Hahaha such a typical David1979 response.

Still waiting for your eval on Doyle, and why he was such a quality recruit to get even though he lacked any real offers (like Benson).

Still waiting David..

Pleas go on, tell me why Benson is such a good prospect. I told you why I feel he’s a reach, now tell me why you think he isn’t.

What?

Benson is under 200 lbs and didn’t have a single real offer besides ours. Get real.

You stating most prospects are projects has nothing to do with the fact we just signed our 2nd LB without any other real interest other than the Hawkeyes.

Are you trolling?
Jesus man go drink some egg nog.

Reactions: bojihawk44

Well, for starters, he's got offers from 3 of the top FCS programs in the country, which means the kid can play. He's also excellent on special teams and seems to be very good playing a variety of positions on defense. Not sure about his pass coverage, think he needs some work there. He's probably gonna take a few years to contribute on defense, but kids like that can make an impact on special teams almost right away. All in all, a good 11th hour find for the staff and it's hard to ignore the successes they've had with guys like that.

Or, ya know, Kirk sucks and can't recruit and blah, blah, blah.

Well, for starters, he's got offers from 3 of the top FCS programs in the country, which means the kid can play. He's also excellent on special teams and seems to be very good playing a variety of positions on defense. Not sure about his pass coverage, think he needs some work there. He's probably gonna take a few years to contribute on defense, but kids like that can make an impact on special teams almost right away. All in all, a good 11th hour find for the staff and it's hard to ignore the successes they've had with guys like that.

Or, ya know, Kirk sucks and can't recruit and blah, blah, blah.

OH WELL SHOOT, HE HAD 3 OF THE TOP FCS OFFERS??!?

And he’s EXCELLENT on Special Teams.

You’re right. I was wrong. Kirk got a real steal here, folks. LMAO

What?

Are you trolling?
And how do you know they'll be terrible? Do you think no players slip through the cracks? Iowa develops players like this all the time. They may not be the next Jewell but there's certainly no reason to give up on them before they arrive in IC. I'll trust the coaching staff's opinion more than you and what you've gleaned from a few hit-or-miss recruiting sites.

OH WELL SHOOT, HE HAD 3 OF THE TOP FCS OFFERS??!?

And he’s EXCELLENT on Special Teams.

You’re right. I was wrong. Kirk got a real steal here, folks. LMAO

Sorry, meant to say 4. They're all excellent programs and if you watch them, which I'm sure you haven't, they all have several players who could play in the B1G. And yes, special teams is an enormous part of football. Notice how our kickoff team absolutely smothered people this year and our punt team was absolutely terrible. Both of those had impacts on games.

But yeah, LMAO and NO OFFERS and yada, yada, yada.

Lol you kidding?

It happens more than you think and want to admit.

Sorry, meant to say 4. They're all excellent programs and if you watch them, which I'm sure you haven't, they all have several players who could play in the B1G. And yes, special teams is an enormous part of football. Notice how our kickoff team absolutely smothered people this year and our punt team was absolutely terrible. Both of those had impacts on games.

But yeah, LMAO and NO OFFERS and yada, yada, yada.

Yeah, they are excellent FCS programs.

We ARENT FCS. No one besides Iowa, in real Div 1 FBS football, offered a scholly. Besides our beloved Kirk.

What about the other 131 schools that didn’t offer? Should we trust them? Or just follow Kirk because he knows best?
Did you ever consider why they don't have offers? Take Dillon Doyle for example. Other coaches probably considered recruiting him a waste of time since he was probably always a lock to Iowa. He was recruited early on in the process- certainly not a fallback or reach. And he's rated pretty well by recruiting services, what you seem to consider the most important metric.

Did you ever consider why they don't have offers? Take Dillon Doyle for example. Other coaches probably considered recruiting him a waste of time since he was probably always a lock to Iowa. He was recruited early on in the process- certainly not a fallback or reach. And he's rated pretty well by recruiting services, what you seem to consider the most important metric.

Not even close to the most important metric.

I’d assign value based on film, competition, character and offers tendered. I’ve been a coach for 22 years, what about you?

Don’t you think who his father was had more to do with an early offer than identifying him as a key prospect and locking him up early?

Oh, Kirk would never show nepotism, right?

You people that refuse to admit we just inked two LBs who are absolutely reaches and projects, are the prime examples of this fan base’s biggest homers.

I’d go with history of our current coach, why wouldn’t you?

Because Kirk has a long history of underwhelming recruiting. Great at developing as a staff, very underwhelming in the recruiting dept... disputing that would be going against reality.

Good enough to win 6-8 games a year, though! Excellent ROI!

I'm sure you have a lot admirer's on the "pay board". Are you related to Marlo Thomas?

There aren’t as many people who worship Kirk with blind loyalty on the pay board, that’s for sure.

Here it’s “Benson and Doyle are two excellent commits”, no questions asked! Call them a project and people line up to argue with that notion.

While I have at times been in the same camp as Chuck I have to think there is a method to the madness. For the most part KF And staff don't offer the top rated lb talent. Clearly, they have different priorities than the blue blood staffs. The stars, measurables, and gawdy stats aren't the bottom line for them. There are countless success stories from guys that came through the program that no one would have predicted. KF would rather have it this way. He ethos of this program is much different than the blue blood, ergo the template for success is different. At times, the success of our players in college and the League is greater than the success of highly recruited guys at big time programs because they have had to rely on something other than stars and program pedigree to succeed.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Jesus man go drink some egg nog.
hooker would probably be better to release the SRS dude is suffering from . Just because Rivals and other sites are too lazy to even rate the Dakota states prospects doesn't mean they cant play . He was the POY in the state and His film looks like at worst He could be a good special teams player . If He developes to a starting LB its gravy.

While I have at times been in the same camp as Chuck I have to think there is a method to the madness. For the most part KF And staff don't offer the top rated lb talent. Clearly, they have different priorities than the blue blood staffs. The stars, measurables, and gawdy stats aren't the bottom line for them. There are countless success stories from guys that came through the program that no one would have predicted. KF would rather have it this way. He ethos of this program is much different than the blue blood, ergo the template for success is different. At times, the success of our players in college and the League is greater than the success of highly recruited guys at big time programs because they have had to rely on something other than stars and program pedigree to succeed.

Good stuff. Everything you said is true, but these guys weren’t the Top LBs on our staff’s “big board” and Kirk is Kirk when it comes to recruiting, he’s gonna do it his way. The results are what they are at this point; he’s a guy that runs a good clean program who finishes with seven wins or less half the time. I do believe Honas was at the top of their board and we were damn close to getting him. Credit Kirk for identifying him early and getting on him. It almost worked.

It’s ok to admit Doyle and Benson are an “average group”, but it’s also a good chance one (or both) are developed into the roughly one half of the kids we sign that become contributors.

hooker would probably be better to release the SRS dude is suffering from . Just because Rivals and other sites are too lazy to even rate the Dakota states prospects doesn't mean they cant play . He was the POY in the state and His film looks like at worst He could be a good special teams player . If He developes to a starting LB its gravy.

oh, it’s gravy?

Are you ****ing retarded? We can’t bring in two guys (both of whom are lightly recruited) with the expectation that one of them developing into a starter is an added “bonus”, because they were from the Dakotas and “probably” overlooked, so if they do well it’s gravy......

I’m not even sure how to address this. If you’re truly that stupid it isn’t worth having a discussion.

Never ever ever should ANY prospect be offered/signed/ brought in with the expectation that him developing into a contributor is a bonus, and that hopefully he can be, at least, a career ST player. Not a school that faces the recruiting disadvantages that we do. Shooting for anything less that the moon is only hurting yourself, and any type of moral victory that “the kid we settled on at the last min from the Dakotas that might be under ranked” could be special teams player is extremely pathetic and wreaks of weakness.

The staff has had years to develop the underclassmen LB's and im willing to bet the fact we offered a juco (rare) is proof they have doubts about their ability to fill the role next yr.

Its ridiculous to say right now whether Doyle and Benson will be good or not but I think much of the concern is that we need immediate help at LB and i definitely wouldnt count on either for that in 2018.

Like with every team, sometimes player development works out and sometimes it doesnt....lets not act like its a sure thing one way or the other even with our good history in that dept.

I think our DL will help take pressure off LB's and they will be fine eventually, but to have concerns about next yrs inexperienced group is very valid.

Part of why 2014 was so disappointing was our inexperienced linebackers

Dude, they didn’t get commitments from their top guys and reached out to others with no luck. What do you expect so late in the game. Nobody is saying they’ll come in and be all-Americans in year 1. People are saying they could develop into something based on prior results of the coaching staffs late commits. You’re dragging the recruits and everyone else through the mud because you think they should be signing all 4* and 5* recruits who everyone has offered. It doesn’t work that way for Iowa and never will. It’s been almost 20 years and you’ve probably had the same complaints every year. Do you think it might be time for you to move on? Get a grip and stop letting entertainment ruin your life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT