ADVERTISEMENT

Remaining Targets for 2018

Hawks picked up another low key commitment last night and its a receiver! "Looks fast!" Shows toughness, can throw in the freak show okey doke and has some speed to boot.

Last edited:
Wow. Offered by Boston College, Princeton and Yale among others. We seem to recruit a lot of smart athletes. Welcome Nico!

Wow. Offered by Boston College, Princeton and Yale among others. We seem to recruit a lot of smart athletes. Welcome Nico!

Near as I can tell he had lacrosse schoolies for the ivy league schools. I could be wrong. I am pretty sure his BC offer was a grey shirt.

Check out @BobbyLaGesse’s Tweet:

Harb check this out
Saw this. I like the idea here! Woods did well with special teams. Might have done even better if he could have done the punting himself. Bring in a good recruiter to coach the rb's. BF would run the tight ends and of course continue at OC. I wonder if KF is thinking along these lines.

Saw this. I like the idea here! Woods did well with special teams. Might have done even better if he could have done the punting himself. Bring in a good recruiter to coach the rb's. BF would run the tight ends and of course continue at OC. I wonder if KF is thinking along these lines.
Or Brian could move to OL and TE and Polasek moves to OC

What is your goal? Do you want people to start getting angry about something like you? Do you not want any positive opinions or hope that the recruits become something for Iowa? You’ve been at this for a full page and multiple threads, so you obviously have some agenda. All I can see is you want people to be down on the recruits.

The reality is no matter your opinions they’re already signed. No matter how mad about it you get it’s not going to change. Why not just hope for the best, and if they don’t turn out how we hope, then we hope for better next year.

If you want recruiting to ‘get better’, fine I get that. Bashing currently signed recruits isn’t going to achieve that goal. It’s also a weird time to get mad at recruiting at Iowa has a significant upgrade this year compared to previous years recruiting.

As far as you saying they’re developmental and not ready to contribute right away, of course that’s true. Why is that a bad thing? That’s pretty much all of Iowa recruiting. It’s worked out well more times than it hasn’t. So again, I don’t see the point of bashing two kids that as you put it ‘didn’t have many power 5 offers’. They got Iowa offers, lets let them get to the program before we complain.

If you’re still not happy, you can always root for a different team. It’s really not hard, just do everything you do for Iowa but instead do it for your new team.

Bingo !! good post.

Dillon Doyle- great size and can run
Seth Benson- a little small but a player. Watch his vid- he can run also.
If we can get Jayden McDonald it will be a pretty good haul.

In the '19 class I hope we can get Campbell, Heinrich and Kiser.

Hope they offer that Jones kid. Getting Nikia Jones and McDonald would be pretty good late gets. See they have some preferred walk on type guys coming in this weekend. Seems like there are always couple of them that end up being pretty good players.

Only on this board would we have a legion of Kirk worshipers defending the honor of Dillon Doyle and Seth Benson against the claim that both are big time reaches.
I vaguely remember people bitching about Josey Jewell, Akrum Wadley, Chad Greenway, Mike Daniels, Desmond King, etc. I'd say I can't wait to what you eat crow in 3 years, but I can already tell you are a chicken shit POS that will not come on here and admit you are wrong

Benson mite be a reach but Doyle certainly isn't. Just because he's a coaches kid ? Pretty much all dedicated high school kids are on an advanced strength & conditioning program for all 4 years. Im sure Dillion has had extra help from his Dad but not enough to move him from a 5.3 or 5.4 which to me is maybe a reach to 5.6 which I would take all day long.

I vaguely remember people bitching about Josey Jewell, Akrum Wadley, Chad Greenway, Mike Daniels, Desmond King, etc. I'd say I can't wait to what you eat crow in 3 years, but I can already tell you are a chicken shit POS that will not come on here and admit you are wrong

Not my monkeys, not my circus. I hope both of them pan out and think Doyle is a good get no matter what. I trust PP enough for Benson but I could name 2 bust for every 1 of your "2 stars" that panned out. (Doesn't matter if you want to go 2 star or "late additions". It's easily 2-1 and closer to 3-1 going back to 2004 which is where the available data starts.)

Edit: call me whatever name you want, I have owned every word I have ever posted on here. The numbers are the numbers.

Not my monkeys, not my circus. I hope both of them pan out and think Doyle is a good get no matter what. I trust PP enough for Benson but I could name 2 bust for every 1 of your "2 stars" that panned out. (Doesn't matter if you want to go 2 star or "late additions". It's easily 2-1 and closer to 3-1 going back to 2004 which is where the available data starts.)

Edit: call me whatever name you want, I have owned every word I have ever posted on here. The numbers are the numbers.
I completely understand that, however; I just do not understand where some of these posters (you at times included) think that you have the right to constantly bash on these young men- especially ones that haven't even played a down yet. This is especially true after the tragedy that happened up in Washington, why always so critical? Furthermore, these same posters are constantly bashing everything about the program in which they supposedly are fans of. It makes absolutely no sense at all and quite frankly I am so sick in tired of our know it all sports fans society that want to fire coaches every 6 minutes and constantly jump on and off bandwagons, constant complaining, never satisfied, etc. It is disgusting and pathetic

I completely understand that, however; I just do not understand where some of these posters (you at times included) think that you have the right to constantly bash on these young men- especially ones that haven't even played a down yet. This is especially true after the tragedy that happened up in Washington, why always so critical? Furthermore, these same posters are constantly bashing everything about the program in which they supposedly are fans of. It makes absolutely no sense at all and quite frankly I am so sick in tired of our know it all sports fans society that want to fire coaches every 6 minutes and constantly jump on and off bandwagons, constant complaining, never satisfied, etc. It is disgusting and pathetic
I think a lot of other people are tired of the "remember that one time..." crowd. Some people view that perspective as an equally pathetic.

As with everything, there are people on both extremes, and people in the middle. If you only want to read about sunshine and roses, this isn't the place (as you well know).

Reactions: easy2 and DewHawk
I think a lot of other people are tired of the "remember that one time..." crowd. Some people view that perspective as an equally pathetic.

As with everything, there are people on both extremes, and people in the middle. If you only want to read about sunshine and roses, this isn't the place (as you well know).
So the crowd that enjoys their experience as a fan annoys you? The crowd that are fans because they are fans annoy you? The crowd that is optimistic about their program annoys you? The crowd that doesn't constantly bitch on a rivals forum is pathetic...........cmon. Some of you all need to get over yourselves and realize the company doesn't like misery although misery loves company.

It's not that there is an animosity towards any fan for having their fandom. I do think there are people who are tired of the "little old Iowa" and "we cannot do x because x" excuses. I would challenge that the people who think "We" could be better and consistently winning more games are the optimist. Why is it not optimistic to think that if Iowa hadn't recruitted X we couldn't have gotten a higher level athlete in thier place? The west is going to get better and better and we as fans are going to watch our team/staff keep up, or get passed by.

Reactions: Hawksoxfan
So the crowd that enjoys their experience as a fan annoys you? The crowd that are fans because they are fans annoy you? The crowd that is optimistic about their program annoys you? The crowd that doesn't constantly bitch on a rivals forum is pathetic...........cmon. Some of you all need to get over yourselves and realize the company doesn't like misery although misery loves company.
Are you asking what annoys me, personally? Personally, what annoys me is partisanship. It's painting your own given opinion as pristine, and the opposing view as pathetic.

The opposite of optimism (a moderate view) is skepticism (a moderate view). The opposite of "trashing" (an extreme view) is countering every skeptical opinion about a recruit with a Dallas Clark or Bob Sanders remark (also an extreme view). We need to only scroll back a few posts to see you doing this, in addition to labeling any opinion that dissents your own as pathetic. Back to what annoys me, personally; both extreme views annoy me.

You, personally, strike me as a staunch believer in your political party, and everything that comes from across the aisle is backward and moronic. And that type of thinking, whether it be politics, fandom, etc is extremely annoying to me.

Thanks for taking the time to ask what annoys me. I hope this post helps clear it up.

Are you asking what annoys me, personally? Personally, what annoys me is partisanship. It's painting your own given opinion as pristine, and the opposing view as pathetic.

The opposite of optimism (a moderate view) is skepticism (a moderate view). The opposite of "trashing" (an extreme view) is countering every skeptical opinion about a recruit with a Dallas Clark or Bob Sanders remark (also an extreme view). We need to only scroll back a few posts to see you doing this, in addition to labeling any opinion that dissents your own as pathetic. Back to what annoys me, personally; both extreme views annoy me.

You, personally, strike me as a staunch believer in your political party, and everything that comes from across the aisle is backward and moronic. And that type of thinking, whether it be politics, fandom, etc is extremely annoying to me.

Thanks for taking the time to ask what annoys me. I hope this post helps clear it up.
I actually am a proud independent and find both parties extremely annoying (because of their far left or right ideology) So yeah I would agree with you there. I am totally OK for logical skepticism with our staff- clock management, obvious runs on audibles, etc. Those are logical to me. However, anytime a poster complains about a recruit before they even step on the field is ridiculous and beyond inappropriate because they are kids. I also get annoyed by the same posters (only a handful) that constantly come on here with negativity and when things are going well they are no where to be found. There are many posters that I disagree with and that is fine, many of those come on here and admit they were wrong and we move on. Much like I have done many many times (although I generally lean to optimism). I fully admit I am a huge KF fan-mostly because of his character (which I also feel is a great fit for our state). I have been coaching for almost 20 years and now in the college level for the first time. I have worked under a bunch of coaches and it is very rare to have a coach that runs a program as well as KF on the building better people (and players) than Kirk. I also admit I think character and doing things the right way completely outweigh results on the field, this does not mean I do not think winning is important. I get it not everybody likes KF or this or that and that is OK. However, I really question a lot of these peoples football intelligence and/or priorities on what is truly important. The people I am talking about are an extreme minority, but boy they certainly are vocal. I bet those who are around this board could name the top five and it would be very consistent. Those posters get so old. I believe you think it is important enough to criticize when warranted, it is also important to praise or be positive.......that is the problem I have.

^ After a couple beers and a quick first read, I *think* I'm in perfect agreement with everything you've said.

However, you called out Wasn't Drunk, and he doesn't fall into the category you described *at all*. That was really my only reason for posting in the first place. IMO, you tossed in skepticism with pessimism and labeled them as equals (to the extreme).

Posters who constantly bitch are annoying, but Wasn't Drunk doesn't fall in that category. Alternatively, those who think Kirk (or Fry) walks on water are equally annoying. I prefer the company of those who apply critical thinking to each situation.

Back to my last post, being skeptical of a recruit, before he steps on the field, is not trashing the kid. It's the inverse of being optimistic about the kid. That was my point. As Wasn't Drunk said a bit back, the list of 2 stars washouts is (conservatively) three times longer than the list of diamonds in the ruff.

OK, hopefully that addresses everything, and we can put a bow on it.

Wait a tick.... did I just get labelled a hater? Do you read the stuff I put on here? If saying something to the extent of "I don't see what he brings to the position group that a recruit already in our class doesn't bring" makes me a hater I guess I am full on. Also, if I have to wait to see what they do on the field before evaluating them we are in for a world of hurt.

Reactions: StallmanCurse
^ After a couple beers and a quick first read, I *think* I'm in perfect agreement with everything you've said.

However, you called out Wasn't Drunk, and he doesn't fall into the category you described *at all*. That was really my only reason for posting in the first place. IMO, you tossed in skepticism with pessimism and labeled them as equals (to the extreme).

Posters who constantly bitch are annoying, but Wasn't Drunk doesn't fall in that category. Alternatively, those who think Kirk (or Fry) walks on water are equally annoying. I prefer the company of those who apply critical thinking to each situation.

Back to my last post, being skeptical of a recruit, before he steps on the field, is not trashing the kid. It's the inverse of being optimistic about the kid. That was my point. As Wasn't Drunk said a bit back, the list of 2 stars washouts is (conservatively) three times longer than the list of diamonds in the ruff.

I reviewed the list of recruits signed from 2013 through 2016. Here is my interpretation of successful players at Iowa that signed LOI's.
Year.. 2 stars... 3 stars.....4 stars
2013...3 of 5.....6 of 17......0 of 0
2014...4 of 7.....5 of 11......0 of 2
2015...2 of 7.....2 of 13......1 of 1
2016....3 2-Stars and 21 3-star recruits
2016...1 3-star recruit is gone, 13 have contributed or have heard they are locks to contribute, and the others I have heard nothing one way or another.

Looking at these numbers, our 2 star players have produced as well as our 3 star players.

I am on my phone and the format is all messed up. I too will go back through the list. For clarity are you saying "playing" equals "contributing"? Thier are 85 scholarshipsn someone is going to "play" no matter what. Jon Parker is a good example of what we are discussing he "played" as a two star but a career of 150 yards and 1 Td is a busted use of a scholarship and in would say he didn't "contribute" because someone is going to get the scholly.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I reviewed the list of recruits signed from 2013 through 2016. Here is my interpretation of successful players at Iowa that signed LOI's.
Year.. 2 stars... 3 stars.....4 stars
2013...3 of 5.....6 of 17......0 of 0
2014...4 of 7.....5 of 11......0 of 2
2015...2 of 7.....2 of 13......1 of 1
2016....3 2-Stars and 21 3-star recruits
2016...1 3-star recruit is gone, 13 have contributed or have heard they are locks to contribute, and the others I have heard nothing one way or another.

Looking at these numbers, our 2 star players have produced as well as our 3 star players.
Thanks for taking the time to put that together, but it doesn't directly address my post, so I'm not sure why you quoted me?

I am on my phone and the format is all messed up. I too will go back through the list. For clarity are you saying "playing" equals "contributing"? Thier are 85 scholarshipsn someone is going to "play" no matter what. Jon Parker is a good example of what we are discussing he "played" as a two star but a career of 150 yards and 1 Td is a busted use of a scholarship and in would say he didn't "contribute" because someone is going to get the scholly.
The conversation, as I perceived it, was that every time skepticism is shared regarding a recruit, it's inevitably countered with a Dallas Clark/Bob Sanders-type comment. Therefore, to me, the bare minimum line is All-Big Ten (1st or 2nd team, not HM).

Was not directed at him-at least not intentionally. I have never had issue with him from my recollection . But yes I believe the bow can be placed lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT