ADVERTISEMENT

Remember 2009- anyone at that opener? I was there and disgusted

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
Let’s hope this past game can be flushed down the toilet 🚽 and we can put that sheet show out of our minds … I am as guilty as anyone here bashing the line play and the QB Play but to be so stubborn as the Ferentz’s makes me sick and acting like nothing bad happened and not being held accountable for the game plan and execution etc… Phil Parker for head coach … damn he’s GREAT…. And a hell of a leader

so here’s a quote in which I can’t post where it came from for message board rules but this makes sense and hoping it will happen this coming Saturday

“That Ferentz quote was from 2009, after the Hawkeyes blocked two field-goal attempts in the final seconds to survive an upset bid from Northern Iowa. Iowa was outplayed and outgained by the FCS Panthers that day 13 years ago and struggled to block on the offensive line.

Sound familiar? Go back and read the postgame media coverage after Week 1 of 2009, and the mood was dispirited. Even Hawkeye defensive back Amari Spievey admitted, "It was a wakeup call. And we know we have to step it up.”

I won’t be shocked if Iowa actually comes out of their collective shells offensively in game 2

GO HAWKS!

Let’s hope this past game can be flushed down the toilet 🚽 and we can put that sheet show out of our minds … I am as guilty as anyone here bashing the line play and the QB Play but to be so stubborn as the Ferentz’s makes me sick and acting like nothing bad happened and not being held accountable for the game plan and execution etc… Phil Parker for head coach … damn he’s GREAT…. And a hell of a leader

so here’s a quote in which I can’t post where it came from for message board rules but this makes sense and hoping it will happen this coming Saturday

“That Ferentz quote was from 2009, after the Hawkeyes blocked two field-goal attempts in the final seconds to survive an upset bid from Northern Iowa. Iowa was outplayed and outgained by the FCS Panthers that day 13 years ago and struggled to block on the offensive line.

Sound familiar? Go back and read the postgame media coverage after Week 1 of 2009, and the mood was dispirited. Even Hawkeye defensive back Amari Spievey admitted, "It was a wakeup call. And we know we have to step it up.”

I won’t be shocked if Iowa actually comes out of their collective shells offensively in game 2

GO HAWKS!
I do recall that game and the relief of winning that game, which coulda, shoulda probably been a loss. I think you may be onto something with this analogy; I guess we'll find out this coming Saturday if we get a like response.

Thanks for the memory, hopefully settles things down....at least until Saturday.

I do recall that game and the relief of winning that game, which coulda, shoulda probably been a loss. I think you may be onto something with this analogy; I guess we'll find out this coming Saturday if we get a like response.

Thanks for the memory, hopefully settles things down....at least until Saturday.
Yeah to be honest me and my “late” father left after the 3rd qtr - it was blazing hot that day I remember I mean so bad - by the time you got a coke the ice was melted so bad it was warm after 5 minutes-

After the game we kicked each other’s nuts 🥜 because we missed the most exciting time of the 2 blocked FG’s my (late) mother and my 3 sisters from California all stayed the entire game til the end and we got are arses ripped the rest of the day and weekend - what a blast that was! Miss my folks so bad though hurts to even bring them up especially my dad who brainwashed me as a child in New Jersey to become a Hawkeye fan and a proud graduate of the University of Iowa in 1996… if it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be where I am today - as well as my grandfather who was an Iowa grad and went to law school @ Iowa in the early years of Nile Kinnick …

I actually brought up ‘09 shortly after the game was over….I was pretty sure that team may not win 4 games after that debacle in Kinnick. Guess I was wrong on that one.

I don’t have much hope right now either…but I’m cautiously optimistic this defense may be better than 09’s….we’re going to be in every ball game. The story weekly will be if the offense can muster up the 14-17 points it will take to win.

I agree with Jersey...the kvetching and rendering of garments time is due to end as we look forward to another 1 of 12 opportunities to see our beloved Hawkeyes compete in the arena.
I keep telling my siblings and my children that every Saturday is a new day. Any given Saturday, as is said, can be that turnaround that salvages a season.

GO HAWKEYES....BEAT ISU!!

I thought that game was awesome and satisfying. Nothing like totally ripping the heart outta of an underdog opponent at the end

"not being held accountable" - WTF, do you want 40 lashes or what? I don't' think you understand what being accountable means.

If nothing else, the fact that Kirk made three changes to the OL on the released depth chart yesterday tells me something. Depth charts aren’t the be-all, end-all for Kirk or most coaches obviously, but it’s still noteworthy to me.

Kirk doesn’t usually make wholesale changes to a depth chart unless injuries are involved.

And I have to disagree with another poster above, I do not believe Petras starts all 12 games if he doesn’t play better.

If nothing else, the fact that Kirk made three changes to the OL on the released depth chart yesterday tells me something. Depth charts aren’t the be-all, end-all for Kirk or most coaches obviously, but it’s still noteworthy to me.

Kirk doesn’t usually make wholesale changes to a depth chart unless injuries are involved.

And I have to disagree with another poster above, I do not believe Petras starts all 12 games if he doesn’t play better.
For now, to quell the fans, I sense the OLine changes are cover for BF.

We're going to see, but I'm guessing the line coach will be the scapegoat to protect his son.

This last Saturday I did not see Hawkeye Elvis sitting in his north end zone seats like normal. I think that was bad juju.

We're going to see, but I'm guessing the line coach will be the scapegoat to protect his son.
You are probably right, but I honestly cannot see how George would be the scapegoat. Iowa currently has an absolutely crazy young O-line.

LOT: Sophomore
LG: Junior
C: Sophomore
RG: Freshmen
ROT: Sophomore

Maybe, but if the o line doesn’t show signs of improvement, Barnett deserves to lose his job too. And if offensive output is similar to last year, even Kirk will be hard pressed to keep Brian again next year.

Reactions: MitchLL
Maybe, but if the o line doesn’t show signs of improvement, Barnett deserves to lose his job too. And if offensive output is similar to last year, even Kirk will be hard pressed to keep Brian again next year.
The OLine recruiting debacle of 2018/19, and to a lesser degree 2020 has bitten Iowa in the ass.

The OLine recruiting debacle of 2018/19, and to a lesser degree 2020 has bitten Iowa in the ass.
Remember when Cole Croston was in at OT in a year gone by and he just got destroyed in one game, I think it may have been Northwestern where he gave up something like 4 sacks, and Kirk was like it is what it is and there are no magic fixes.

I’m not totally ready to throw in the towel on the line yet. Always possible it was just a bad day with guys getting their feet wet after all.

Obviously more concerning coming off the heels of last year - I said in other threads, with all the skill guys out due to injury, a struggling offense wouldn’t have surprised me; what we got was so much worse.

Reactions: MitchLL
You are probably right, but I honestly cannot see how George would be the scapegoat. Iowa currently has an absolutely crazy young O-line.

Which begs the question...how does an OLine program...end up so thin and young?

OP, I really hope they can reverse the offensive inefficiencies we saw in the opener. As a Hawkeye fan we often lean on our hopes of a better performance in the future. There’s always a chance the offense comes out and looks entirely different this week. Let’s hope so.

I also wonder if our collective Hawkeye attitude would be much better right now if the team had done a better job of “making the makeables” last week. Would our concern be nearly as high if we had punched in that TD instead of giving the ball away and zero points and if the first FG attempt had gone through? 17-3 looks much better than 7-3 and would be likely explained away as first game clunkiness.

Reactions: Hammer93

GO HAWKS!
Iowa had 320 yds and stanzi hit 65% of his passes w/ a TD and no TOs.
If I recall, the RBs had a couple of horribly placed/timed fumbles, but on the whole, it was a sloppy game that never shouldve been that close. That varies a lot from this game where you could legitimately say Iowa's best chance was to punt from the 50 and hope the defense scored.

Which begs the question...how does an OLine program...end up so thin and young?
Barnett is only in his second year, but with that I would say Britt's injury, Lindy's early exit. Plumb, Enders, and Miller not panning out.

How many games does it take though to consider a kid a veteran. I'd say more than one, but maybe no more than 6 games?
IMO, traditionally a veteran has more to do with time in the program. Juniors and seniors would be considered "veterans." I by no means would say that we have a veteran WR core.

Last edited:

GO HAWKS!
Remember that game vividly, I left about 1/2 way through the 4th quarter thinking the Hawks were finished and were about to lose.

GO HAWKS!

Kirk's teams are notoriously slow starting teams, especially the offense. Many, many of us have said this.

But it begs the question, why can't Kirk get the team in mid-season form for game 1 and 2. It is bewildering to me that after 23 years he and mainly his offensive coaches have not figured out what plays work with their personnel so that they can make first downs and move the ball.

So do the Badgers every few years it seems, and yet they manage to run the ball quite well every year.

So do the Badgers every few years it seems, and yet they manage to run the ball quite well every year.
You are right and the Oline is where it begins, however, Wisconsin has had a pretty impressive stable of RBs. Gordon, Taylor, Ogunbowale are all currently in the league.

Yup, I was there. I remember the sick feeling in my stomach as UNI marched down the field. Then the huge relief after the block.

Then ... confusion. What? They get to kick again? Ahhggghh!

Then another block! Incredible!

I've never heard a definitive answer... has that EVER happened in a college or NFL game?

I thought that game was awesome and satisfying. Nothing like totally ripping the heart outta of an underdog opponent at the end
I'd rather just handle them and take care of business from the beginning like most big boy teams do against FBS teams.

With that said, we won and I'm always thankful for a win.

We will take a Jonathan Taylor or Melvin Gordon.
Almost had Melvin Gordon. Why can't we recruit good backs like Wisconsin? We pride ourselves on slowing the game down, good o lines and running the ball. It's all a hoax. Iowa can't run the ball and it's been that way for a while. Defense is always good, and I don't care if we aren't a sexy offense. But the #1 criteria for Brian F should be to establish a running game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT