ADVERTISEMENT

Remember beating Mississippi State

Thought this thread was going to be about the Miss State defense when I opened it. As another poster said, three first rounders on that defense (Sweat, Simmons, Abram) with Simmons being one of the best defensive players in the NFL now. Also had Willie Gay (starter for the Chiefs) and Cameron Dantzler (starter for the Vikings). Absolutely loaded, I still can't believe we won that game!
As good as Iow’s Defensive personnel was that year, MSU’s defense was better. A busted pass coverage allowed Iowa a TD and how that MSU receiver ever “dropped” that TD pass at the end of the fame, I will never figure that one out (and then have the ball pop right into to Iowa defender’s arms for the interception)! And yes the “cowbells” were obnoxious.

Reactions: HawkeyeFakeID
"looks like an episode of hee haw broke out down there"... from a Mississippi guy. That's a clone-like lack of self-awareness.
I think the term red neck was born in Alabama or Mississippi. Great reminder-when I first heard that I wondered if the moron that made them knew Hee Haw was about southern hillbillys and their music/culture.

The proper disparagement of Iowa's lack of cultural sophistication is "hick".

There used to be these smug dick debaters from Bronx HS of Science. All smart kids but literally never one kid that wasn't an asshole. Their schtick with Iowa kids was to ask "is Iowa the one with corn or potatoes"? When asked of me I said, "Iowa is the one with the highest ACT scores in the nation, so we're like the smartest people in the country."

I think the term red neck was born in Alabama or Mississippi. Great reminder-when I first heard that I wondered if the moron that made them knew Hee Haw was about southern hillbillys and their music/culture.

There used to be these smug dick debaters from Bronx HS of Science. All smart kids but literally never one kid that wasn't an asshole. Their schtick with Iowa kids was to ask "is Iowa the one with corn or potatoes"? When asked of me I said, "Iowa is the one with the highest ACT scores in the nation, so we're like the smartest people in the country."

Actually the term Redneck is a European term. There's a very interesting book by Thomas Sowell that discusses it's origins.
Granted the connotation we have of it nowadays is vastly different, but it's still interesting.

...and if you were smart, you'd know the difference between Iowa and Idaho.

As for the term "redneck" there are several origin stories, I tend to like the Appalachian coal-miner one. The other primary one is that it was a way of insulting lower-class field laboring whites with sunburned "red necks".

...and if you were smart, you'd know the difference between Iowa and Idaho
Believe me that was said, usually with something like Iowans learn the difference in 3rd grade. Geography not taught in New York public schools? As an adult I came to realize that neither Iowa nor Idaho was probably included in the New York geography curriculum. Their map has all the boroughs, with the Upper East Side as the capitol, maybe stretches into New Jersey and then is blank until the Pacific Coast is seen.

...and if you were smart, you'd know the difference between Iowa and Idaho.

As for the term "redneck" there are several origin stories, I tend to like the Appalachian coal-miner one. The other primary one is that it was a way of insulting lower-class field laboring whites with sunburned "red necks".
The old farmer tan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT