ADVERTISEMENT

Remember Brad Banks

I was at that game and every other from 2002-2004. J,ust finished college, and getting through the lean years. It was amazing to see that series because it came right at me in the south endzone!

Reactions: cmhawks99
That guy was awesome.

I guess KF decided he doesn't like dynamic, athletic, play-making, dual-threat Heisman runner-up QB's who go out and win games for you, not to mention outstanding OL's to protect and make holes for him. Too bad.

Well fortunately at the end of his career he has still managed to put up incredible win totals for little Ole Iowa. That’s what I stay focused on you worry about the other stuff.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Perhaps if Banks had more experience leading up to the Michigan game, a mistake like that may not have happened. Banks had 22 pass attempts going into the Michigan game and 19 of them were in two blowout games (games 1 and 2).

McCann wasn’t exactly pulled in the 4th quarter. Banks and McCann were switching off series (somewhat).

McCann first two series, both punt

Banks third series was a TD - 7-0 Iowa

McCann fourth series punt

Banks fifth series was a FG - 10-0 Iowa

McCann sixth series punt (blocked) for a Mich TD - 10-7 Iowa

Seventh series is two run plays and a fumble loss

Eighth series McCann runs out the clock with two kneel downs
————-halftime—————-

Mich punted and Iowa returned it for a TD - 17-7 Iowa

McCann ninth series Iowa FG - 20-7

McCann 10th series Intercepted

Banks 11th series (steps out of bounds) punts 21-20 Michigan. It was 3rd and 15 on the Iowa 21 yard line. Banks ran for 13, but needed 15.
————end of the 3rd quarter———-
Banks 12th series Iowa TD (2pt failed) 26-21 Iowa

McCann 13th series Intercepted to midfield

McCann 14th series equals a punt - 29-26 Michigan

McCann 15th series turnover on downs - Michigan 32 - Iowa 26
—————end of 4th——————

This was absolutely one of the most frustrating games to watch in the KF era.

Banks played the equivalent of four series and Iowa scored 16 points. (TD, FG, Punt, TD)

McCann played nine series for total 3 points and left Michigan in great field position on several. One was a blocked punt from the end zone and gave Michigan a TD as time was winding down in the first half. (Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt blocked, FG, INT, INT, Punt, TOD)

😞

https://storage.googleapis.com/hawkeyesports-com/2015/04/65e5fed8-michigan.pdf
Too bad,Iowa won a bowl game with McCann.

That Alamo Bowl win (19-16) and 7-5 season in 2001 was priceless. People are still bringing it up 20+ years later.

2001 was far better than 2002 (11-2), B1G Championship and Orange Bowl loss. Why? In 2001, Iowa won the Alamo Bowl.

Does Iowa win the 2001 Alamo Bowl with Brad Banks at QB? Very likely. I’d even go a bit farther to suggest that Iowa scores more than 19 points after the defense intercepted TT three times. I’m sure McCann’s 161 yards passing/0 TD/0 INTs were the difference though.

Does Iowa go 11-2 in 2002, win the B1G, and play in a BCS bowl with Kyle McCann at QB? Not a chance. But hey, McCann won a low to mid tier bowl game.

Last edited:
Dual Threat Recruits:

Jason Manson
Eric McCollum
Jake C.
Arvell Nelson
Marvin McNutt
Ryan Boyle

I agree that given our conservative offensive philosophy and normally pedestrian receivers, a qb who can make plays with their feet is a must. We seem to have tapered off on recruiting true dual threat, but we brought in a number of them in KF's early to middle years.

That Alamo Bowl win (19-16) and 7-5 season in 2001 was priceless. People are still bringing it up 20+ years later.

2001 was far better than 2002 (11-2), B1G Championship and Orange Bowl loss. Why? In 2001, Iowa won the Alamo Bowl.

Does Iowa win the 2001 Alamo Bowl with Brad Banks at QB? Very likely. I’d even go a bit farther to suggest that Iowa scores more than 19 points after the defense intercepted TT three times. I’m sure McCann’s 161 yards passing/0 TD/0 INTs were the difference though.

Does Iowa go 11-2 in 2002, win the B1G, and play in a BCS bowl with Kyle McCann at QB? Not a chance. But hey, McCann won a low to mid tier bowl

I’ll tell u what many, if not most find interesting is that after a heinous three year stretch & then a breakthrough season of 7-5 & to a super breakout season of 11 and two!!

All some fans can remember is the 7-5 season and why them “dumb ole coaches didn’t play Brad Banks“ more..DOH!! it’s fu$&king pathetic!!

I mean honestly it would be like my son making it to the final four in the Illinois state championships in basketball and all I could F-ing dwell on was that the coach didn’t play him more the year before, holy effing shit it’s exhausting!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BirdistheWord
I’ll tell u what many, if not most find interesting is that after a heinous three year stretch & then a breakthrough season of 7-5 & to a super breakout season of 11 and two!!

All some fans can remember is the 7-5 season and why them “dumb ole coaches didn’t play Brad Banks“ more..DOH!! it’s fu$&king pathetic!!

I mean honestly it would be like my son making it to the final four in the Illinois state championships in basketball and all I could F-ing dwell on was that the coach didn’t play him more the year before, holy effing shit it’s exhausting!!!

Your analogy makes about as much sense as the rest of your ramble. Unless of course the Illinois state championship is comparable to the 2001 Alamo Bowl or even comparing an Alamo Bowl to a championship, which neither are even close.

Another thing regarding the “heinous three year stretch”. In 2000, Iowa was 3-5 in the B1G. In 2001, Iowa was 4-4 in the B1G. I can’t believe more people are talking about the “breakthrough” season that was 2001.

Your analogy makes about as much sense as the rest of your ramble. Unless of course the Illinois state championship is comparable to the 2001 Alamo Bowl or even comparing an Alamo Bowl to a championship, which neither are even close.

Oh really, hmmmmm. Ok then…

The moral of the story is you can’t enjoy the orange bowl because all you can think about is Brad Banks should’ve played in 2001 dumb sh$&$….

Simple enough for you…

I do thank you though, you’ve show me a quick way to identify the kind of Iowa Fan I’m about to talk to… Just say 2001/2002 and if he starts gushing about the defense in 2019 and Brad Banks in the Orange Bowl then you know he’s a pretty positive sort and enjoys Iowa football. For your information 2002 wasn’t actually my favorite season nor was even 2001-2003.

2004 2008 2009actually a couple of these last seasons I have enjoyed more.

but if said Iowa acquaintance starts talking about how Brad Bank should’ve played in 2001 you know to turn and walk away

Perhaps if Banks had more experience leading up to the Michigan game, a mistake like that may not have happened. Banks had 22 pass attempts going into the Michigan game and 19 of them were in two blowout games (games 1 and 2).

McCann wasn’t exactly pulled in the 4th quarter. Banks and McCann were switching off series (somewhat).

————-halftime—————-

Banks 11th series (steps out of bounds) punts 21-20 Michigan. It was 3rd and 15 on the Iowa 21 yard line. Banks ran for 13, but needed 15.

—————end of 4th——————

Banks played the equivalent of four series and Iowa scored 16 points. (TD, FG, Punt, TD)

McCann played nine series for total 3 points and left Michigan in great field position on several. One was a blocked punt from the end zone and gave Michigan a TD as time was winding down in the first half. (Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt blocked, FG, INT, INT, Punt, TOD)

😞

For those who need visualization:

Reactions: iahawks10
I think Banks' legacy has become a bit legendary in the minds of some Iowa fans. In 13 games, he threw for 2,578 yards and rushed for 423. He completed 58% of his passes. He accounted for 31 TDs. Would it surprise you to know that he accounted for only three more all-purpose yards than Stanzi did as a senior? And only four more TDs? While completing passes at a far lower percentage? And with a lower passer rating?
Let me guess, you’d take Stanzi over Banks then? No thanks.

That guy was awesome.

I guess KF decided he doesn't like dynamic, athletic, play-making, dual-threat Heisman runner-up QB's who go out and win games for you, not to mention outstanding OL's to protect and make holes for him. Too bad.
Except for Petras all of our QBs were recruited as dual threat QBs. They just dont play.

They won IN SPITE OF McCann, not because of him.
Your memory must not be very good. McCann was 19/26 with no interceptions. Iowa had to use Aaron Greving, the backup rb. I believe that Ladell Betts was injured. Kliff Kingsbury, who threw for more yards, also threw THREE interceptions. He cost his team the game. McCann's steady play helped his team win.

Reactions: kceasthawk
What I don't understand is that if you aren't going to get QBs that are a threat to run, why aren't you recruiting really accurate QBs? They seem to be getting guys that are both slow and inaccurate. Makes no sense. I don't care if you can throw the ball 70 yards. If you can't make accurate throws, your arm strength is worthless. Lainez is the only one that seems to break that mold but it is going to be awhile till he is here and ready.

Your memory must not be very good. McCann was 19/26 with no interceptions. Iowa had to use Aaron Greving, the backup rb. I believe that Ladell Betts was injured. Kliff Kingsbury, who threw for more yards, also threw THREE interceptions. He cost his team the game. McCann's steady play helped his team win.
If you think McCann was a good QB, I can't help you.

They won IN SPITE OF McCann, not because of him.

If you think McCann was a good QB, I can't help you.
WTF does what I said have to do with that? You specifically said that in spite of McCann, Iowa won that one game. I simply pointed out that was factually incorrect. If you want to talk about McCann overall, go for it. I am just responding about that bowl game, though. If you think his performance was bad in that game (73% completion rate when the opponent was looking for the pass), then I can't help you. He outplayed Kingsbury, FFS.

————-halftime—————-

—————end of 4th——————

😞

Kirk Ferentz’s brilliance.

@cmhawks99

He threw a catchable ball. Beautiful.
It's like they say, don't overthink it. Just play catch. That is something our recent QBs have struggled with. All too often overthinking a wide open receiver and airmailing the ball(see Nate Stanley to a wide open TJ Hockenson against Wisconsin) or firing it into the ground at their feet. Brad just threw a nice simple pass like he was in the backyard on that play.

Would you want a QB with 66.3%, 8.0 yds per attempt and 146 rating? Iowa wins a lot of games if they get that every year.
McCann was KF's typical "limit mistakes" QB. Banks was a playmaker.

Hawk fans are used to watching Iowa win because of defense. Most Iowa games end up a 4th quarter nail biter.

Thanks for linking me…. Next we should get Brad Banks on the phone he’s on record for saying he wasn’t ready to be the starter in 2001, anything else?

It is of course impossible he is simply saying that to be considerate of Kirk Ferentz on record.

Be a naive rube all you want. Only KF ball danglers think McCann should have been playing ahead of Banks after that game.

Happy dangling.

It is of course impossible he is simply saying that to be considerate of Kirk Ferentz on record.

Be a naive rube all you want. Only KF ball danglers think McCann should have been playing ahead of Banks after that game.

Happy dangling.

As I indicated earlier…only the intellectually inept thinks a coach, manager boss, can make unfair, inequitable decisions for 24 years and continue to have high team chemistry & morale and for that to show in the growth of the company….

There isn’t anybody on this board that I consider Smart that could explain this away and you’re not one of the latter….

Your lack of response (because there is none) is all I really need.

You can argue for a mobile QB but that offensive line made Brad Banks look a LOT better than he actually was.

Thanks for linking me…. Next we should get Brad Banks on the phone he’s on record for saying he wasn’t ready to be the starter in 2001, anything else?

Let’s make it a lot easier. You can just link Banks’ quote saying he wasn’t ready. We’ll start there.

It's like they say, don't overthink it. Just play catch. That is something our recent QBs have struggled with. All too often overthinking a wide open receiver and airmailing the ball(see Nate Stanley to a wide open TJ Hockenson against Wisconsin) or firing it into the ground at their feet. Brad just threw a nice simple pass like he was in the backyard on that play.
Stanley as a junior and senior had a better completion percentage than banks.

Reactions: BBHawk

Pat Harty (of all people) speaks with Banks one-on-one.

Okay, now link the part where Banks said he wasn’t ready.

I've spoken with Banks about this topic on several occasions and never has he complained or criticized or even suggested that he was treated unfairly in 2001, not even off the record. Banks still was a work in progress in 2001, but Ferentz appreciated his talent enough to create a special role for Banks as the backup.
"I trusted coach Ferentz with that," Banks said in a recent interview. "There were things a lot of people don't know. They didn't know what my comfort level was about it. For me, it was all about being a team guy and being ready to play when I was called upon. That was the biggest thing for me.
"I knew my time would come and I just wanted to seize the moment."

I've spoken with Banks about this topic on several occasions and never has he complained or criticized or even suggested that he was treated unfairly in 2001, not even off the record. Banks still was a work in progress in 2001, but Ferentz appreciated his talent enough to create a special role for Banks as the backup.
"I trusted coach Ferentz with that," Banks said in a recent interview. "There were things a lot of people don't know. They didn't know what my comfort level was about it. For me, it was all about being a team guy and being ready to play when I was called upon. That was the biggest thing for me.
I mean, it's pretty easy to read between the lines there, I didn't think he'd need to spell it out for you word-for-word.

Let’s make it a lot easier. You can just link Banks’ quote saying he wasn’t ready. We’ll start there.

LOL….I think Frosty got your help bud. It doesn’t always go together that quickly and cleanly but I love it when it does… You guys are honestly so tiresome it’s awesome when you’ve got nothing left to say

Reactions: kceasthawk

Careful now. Few here care to be bothered with the facts when it doesn't fit their narrative or their foggy memory of what ACTUALLY transpired at the time......

ADVERTISEMENT