ADVERTISEMENT

Remember Brad Banks

giphy.gif

That guy was awesome.

I guess KF decided he doesn't like dynamic, athletic, play-making, dual-threat Heisman runner-up QB's who go out and win games for you, not to mention outstanding OL's to protect and make holes for him. Too bad.
Amen. Been saying that for years, but what do we know. If we knew anything and our last name was Ferentz, we would be on the staff with dumbfounded looks on our face and one of us would be writing down random items on a pad last used by Joe Friday in Dragnet.

Reactions: tas57
That guy was awesome.

I guess KF decided he doesn't like dynamic, athletic, play-making, dual-threat Heisman runner-up QB's who go out and win games for you, not to mention outstanding OL's to protect and make holes for him. Too bad.
Beathard and Tate were both good runners too. But yes, I wouldn't mind another dual threat QB who can scramble and avoid the rush.

That guy was awesome.

he's offered many dt qbs, what are you talking about?

Banks should have his "name on the wall" inside Kinnick Stadium, and that's not hyperbole.

Look at the list of Davey O'brien award winners - that is basically a list of the most elite college QBs to have played the game, and Banks is on it.

And don't give me that "started only one season" garbage - college careers are like that. You may only get one year to be the featured player, and Banks certainly made the most of his.

Banks should have his "name on the wall" inside Kinnick Stadium, and that's not hyperbole.

Look at the list of Davey O'brien award winners - that is basically a list of the most elite college QBs to have played the game, and Banks is on it.

And don't give me that "started only one season" garbage - college careers are like that. You may only get one year to be the featured player, and Banks certainly made the most of his.
To your point, Barry Sanders only started one season....

He should have played a lot more the prior year

The most successful people know what they don't know and hire people to fill those gaps. KF has proven he knows nothing about offense, yet for more than two decades he has stubbornly refused to hire someone who does. If he had made such a hire while maintaining excellence on defense, wow. Iowa would have been right there with Ohio State on an annual basis.

Based on the evidence, it has generally seemed that KF views offense as an unavoidable annoyance that keeps the defense off the field. If it were up to him, Iowa would play defense for 60 minutes every week. Sometimes, of course, they almost do.

Having a dynamic offense that is entertaining and that isn't afraid to score has always been a good thing, and it's even more so in the current context of college football. But KF hasn't gotten on board. Sure, he tolerated QBs like Banks, Tate, and Beathard, but he prefers game managers to multitalented athletes. That's football . . . at least it is under KF.

I'm pretty sure if we had a dual threat QB, one who can throw it or run the ball either through run/pass options or designed plays not much would change. Petras takes all the flack, but he's not the issue...you have to protect the QB and you have to be able to run the ball in Iowa's system. We haven't done either consistently, accept maybe Maryland.

If we did have a mobile QB, the minute Iowa loses a game, the same posters on here would be saying..."we need a new quarterback because he runs too much because he isn't accurate enough passing, and it cost us a game. " Or "Brian Ferentz doesn't know how to handle a mobile QB because he's never had one, and it cost us the game." Or the first time the QB runs and doesn't get a first down, but he had an open guy beyond the sticks..."see, he runs all the time, La Porta was wide open for the first down and he didn't throw it...we need a damn pocket passer."

I think Banks' legacy has become a bit legendary in the minds of some Iowa fans. In 13 games, he threw for 2,578 yards and rushed for 423. He completed 58% of his passes. He accounted for 31 TDs. Would it surprise you to know that he accounted for only three more all-purpose yards than Stanzi did as a senior? And only four more TDs? While completing passes at a far lower percentage? And with a lower passer rating?

Banks was amazing, deserved all the accolades and earned a special place in Iowa football history for sure. But let's also not forget, he played behind probably the best OL in Iowa history. That opens up a lot of opportunities for any QB. Imagine CJB or Drew Tate playing behind that line.
Exactly, No matter what type of QB you have on your team, he needs a good offensive line in front of him. We're talking about one of the most basic fundamentals of football here. Besides, it is not like running QBs never get sacked. If you want the running game and QB performance to improve, you have to fix the issues in the Ol.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
I think Banks' legacy has become a bit legendary in the minds of some Iowa fans. In 13 games, he threw for 2,578 yards and rushed for 423. He completed 58% of his passes. He accounted for 31 TDs. Would it surprise you to know that he accounted for only three more all-purpose yards than Stanzi did as a senior? And only four more TDs? While completing passes at a far lower percentage? And with a lower passer rating?
It's situational, bruh. If there was a stat for plays kept alive, Banks would eat Stanzi's lunch.

It's situational, bruh. If there was a stat for plays kept alive, Banks would eat Stanzi's lunch.

That added up to what though? Their endgame is eerily similar. Statistically and in terms of team success. All I'm saying is some folks seem to see 2002 Banks as being comparable to 2012 Manziel or 2010 Newton. He wasn't anything close to that.

Reactions: HawkOn15

Started only one season. Lol
That's Kirk.

Reactions: CarterHall
The most successful people know what they don't know and hire people to fill those gaps. KF has proven he knows nothing about offense, yet for more than two decades he has stubbornly refused to hire someone who does. If he had made such a hire while maintaining excellence on defense, wow. Iowa would have been right there with Ohio State on an annual basis.

Based on the evidence, it has generally seemed that KF views offense as an unavoidable annoyance that keeps the defense off the field. If it were up to him, Iowa would play defense for 60 minutes every week. Sometimes, of course, they almost do.

Having a dynamic offense that is entertaining and that isn't afraid to score has always been a good thing, and it's even more so in the current context of college football. But KF hasn't gotten on board. Sure, he tolerated QBs like Banks, Tate, and Beathard, but he prefers game managers to multitalented athletes. That's football . . . at least it is under KF.
LOL

I'm pretty sure he spent the next several years recruiting them and outside of Drew Tate, was unable to land any of them. Maybe they realized to really have a chance to get those types of QB's to be interested in Iowa they were going to have to restructure the offense in a direction Kirk didn't want to go.

Banks had more all-purpose yards and TD’s while throwing 51 fewer passes in a run heavy era. And the stats really don’t tell the whole story. Let’s not act like all of a sudden the Heisman/AP voters and Davey O’Brien committee made a mistake.

Banks absolutely changed the way the opposing defense had to play. It opened holes for the backs and got receivers open, and made the line look even better. Anyone trying to revise this needs to go back and watch the games. He was a team leader, humble, and damn near won the Heisman.

Banks shows KF’s biggest recruiting mistake. And it isn’t his avoidance of bringing in more dual-threat QBs. His biggest mistake is not bringing in more juco players. We’ve had a lot of success with several. Banks, CJ Jones, Nathan Chandler, Spievey, Yanda, Sargent, Easley, and Nixon. We should be looking to bring in 2 or 3 juco players every season. They are less likely to cause problems if they have their AA degree, have proven themselves at the collegiate level, and should be able to step in and play quickly since they are 20-something grown men and not 18 year old kids.

Reactions: Front7
Banks had more all-purpose yards and TD’s while throwing 51 fewer passes in a run heavy era. And the stats really don’t tell the whole story. Let’s not act like all of a sudden the Heisman/AP voters and Davey O’Brien committee made a mistake.

Tell me why they don't?

I havent seen many Brad Banks like QBs in all of college football since he played. maybe a handfull? So I guess I dont see Iowa turning down QBs that have Brad Banks potential. Why would they?

I find it ridiculous to think they stopped looking for Hiesman level QBs . Maybe they are just rare.

Id like to see a list of Brad Banks like QBs that they ignored.

Reactions: AlvySinger
If I remember correctly Brads father wasn't going to let him come to Iowa or insisted his son played QB instead of receiver where the coaches wanted to put him.
If I remember the game correctly it was the Michigan game at home Brad's Jr. year and McCann was finally pulled in the 4th. Brad comes in and moves the team down the field into the red-zone and steps out of bounds short of the 1st and KF was pissed and pulled him out. You could sense Brad was Like Oh, Shit, why did I do that. LOL
He was awesome to watch his Sr. year.

If I remember correctly Brads father wasn't going to let him come to Iowa or insisted his son played QB instead of receiver where the coaches wanted to put him.
If I remember the game correctly it was the Michigan game at home Brad's Jr. year and McCann was finally pulled in the 4th. Brad comes in and moves the team down the field into the red-zone and steps out of bounds short of the 1st and KF was pissed and pulled him out. You could sense Brad was Like Oh, Shit, why did I do that. LOL
He was awesome to watch his Sr. year.

Perhaps if Banks had more experience leading up to the Michigan game, a mistake like that may not have happened. Banks had 22 pass attempts going into the Michigan game and 19 of them were in two blowout games (games 1 and 2).

McCann wasn’t exactly pulled in the 4th quarter. Banks and McCann were switching off series (somewhat).

McCann first two series, both punt

Banks third series was a TD - 7-0 Iowa

McCann fourth series punt

Banks fifth series was a FG - 10-0 Iowa

McCann sixth series punt (blocked) for a Mich TD - 10-7 Iowa

Seventh series is two run plays and a fumble loss

Eighth series McCann runs out the clock with two kneel downs
————-halftime—————-

Mich punted and Iowa returned it for a TD - 17-7 Iowa

McCann ninth series Iowa FG - 20-7

McCann 10th series Intercepted

Banks 11th series (steps out of bounds) punts 21-20 Michigan. It was 3rd and 15 on the Iowa 21 yard line. Banks ran for 13, but needed 15.
————end of the 3rd quarter———-
Banks 12th series Iowa TD (2pt failed) 26-21 Iowa

McCann 13th series Intercepted to midfield

McCann 14th series equals a punt - 29-26 Michigan

McCann 15th series turnover on downs - Michigan 32 - Iowa 26
—————end of 4th——————

This was absolutely one of the most frustrating games to watch in the KF era.

Banks played the equivalent of four series and Iowa scored 16 points. (TD, FG, Punt, TD)

McCann played nine series for total 3 points and left Michigan in great field position on several. One was a blocked punt from the end zone and gave Michigan a TD as time was winding down in the first half. (Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt blocked, FG, INT, INT, Punt, TOD)

😞

https://storage.googleapis.com/hawkeyesports-com/2015/04/65e5fed8-michigan.pdf

Last edited:
It is odd that Iowa had arguably their greatest success with him yet seem to have gone out of the way to not walk down that road again.
But I don't think this is true. Tate wasn't a runner but had ability to buy time. Beathard had scrambling ability but was limited by injury. They recruited dual threat QB Marvin MCNutt as a QB but ended up moving him to WR. A number of the back up QBs have been mobile QBs. What has happened is that they have been able to land better quality pocket QBs than dual threat QBs.

But I don't think this is true. Tate wasn't a runner but had ability to buy time. Beathard had scrambling ability but was limited by injury. They recruited dual threat QB Marvin MCNutt as a QB but ended up moving him to WR. A number of the back up QBs have been mobile QBs. What has happened is that they have been able to land better quality pocket QBs than dual threat QBs.
Tate was a definitive scrambler. You weren't running him intentionally, but he had the ability to evade the rush with some awesome spin moves, move around in and outside of the pocket to buy time, and pick up yards downfield when nothing was there.

Beathard did have the ability to have designed run plays called for him. Which was his downfall because it was on one of those long runs early in 2015 that he got hurt which nagged him through the rest of the season and limited his running ability.

Brad was a good runner that had designed QB draw plays and an occasional option play called. They also put him in the bootleg often which got him moving and cut the field in half for him to make his reads easier on those plays. It was really intelligent play calling by KOK in playing to his QB's strengths and helping him succeed.

Perhaps if Banks had more experience leading up to the Michigan game, a mistake like that may not have happened. Banks had 22 pass attempts going into the Michigan and 19 of them were in two blowout games (games 1 and 2).

McCann wasn’t exactly pulled in the 4th quarter. Banks and McCann were switching off series (somewhat).

McCann first two series, both punt

Banks third series was a TD - 7-0 Iowa

McCann fourth series punt

Banks fifth series was a FG - 10-0 Iowa

McCann sixth series punt (blocked) for a Mich TD - 10-7 Iowa

Seventh series is two run plays and a fumble loss

Eighth series McCann runs out the clock with two kneel downs
————-halftime—————-

Mich punted and Iowa returned it for a TD - 17-7 Iowa

McCann ninth series Iowa FG - 20-7

McCann 10th series Intercepted

Banks 11th series (steps out of bounds) punts 21-20 Michigan. It was 3rd and 15 on the Iowa 21 yard line. Banks ran for 13, but needed 15.
————end of the 3rd quarter———-
Banks 12th series Iowa TD (2pt failed) 26-21 Iowa

McCann 13th series Intercepted to midfield

McCann 14th series equals a punt - 29-26 Michigan

McCann 15th series turnover on downs - Michigan 32 - Iowa 26
—————end of 4th——————

This was absolutely one of the most frustrating games to watch in the KF era.

Banks played the equivalent of four series and Iowa scored 16 points. (TD, FG, Punt, TD)

McCann played nine series for total 3 points and left Michigan in great field position on several. One was a blocked punt from the end zone and gave Michigan a TD as time was winding down in the first half. (Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt blocked, FG, INT, INT, Punt, TOD)

😞

https://storage.googleapis.com/hawkeyesports-com/2015/04/65e5fed8-michigan.pdf

Thanks for the recap bringing back old wounds! I was there that day and it is till frustrating.

ADVERTISEMENT