ADVERTISEMENT

Remember PE Classes?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
...social scientist Claire Nader offers startling statistics. Decades ago, daily P.E. was the norm. These days, she said, only 4 percent of elementary schools, 7 percent of middle schools and 2 percent of high schools have daily P.E. the entire school year. Twenty-two percent of schools have no P.E. at all.

As a nation, we have never been that keen on exercise. Late 19th-century P.E. programs, for instance, excluded girls for fear more muscles and competitive urges would masculinize them. Daily P.E. for both sexes became common by the middle of the 20th century, but the bipartisan push to raise academic achievement allowed school districts to reduce or eliminate gym classes, and save money by hiring fewer P.E. teachers.

“When money gets tight, P.E. is one of the first to go,” said Terri Drain, past president of SHAPE America, which supports professionals in P.E., health, recreation and dance. The organization provides guidance and research and leads lobbying on health issues in Congress.
By 2007, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation reported only 36 percent of children were doing the recommended one hour of physical activity a day and 30 percent participated in a sport on a regular basis.

Ken Reed, policy director of the sports reform project League of Fans, noted “Type 2 diabetes was once considered an adult disease. However, because more kids are overweight and obese, the incidence of the disease has increased dramatically in children and adolescents.”

more here

images

...social scientist Claire Nader offers startling statistics. Decades ago, daily P.E. was the norm. These days, she said, only 4 percent of elementary schools, 7 percent of middle schools and 2 percent of high schools have daily P.E. the entire school year. Twenty-two percent of schools have no P.E. at all.

As a nation, we have never been that keen on exercise. Late 19th-century P.E. programs, for instance, excluded girls for fear more muscles and competitive urges would masculinize them. Daily P.E. for both sexes became common by the middle of the 20th century, but the bipartisan push to raise academic achievement allowed school districts to reduce or eliminate gym classes, and save money by hiring fewer P.E. teachers.

“When money gets tight, P.E. is one of the first to go,” said Terri Drain, past president of SHAPE America, which supports professionals in P.E., health, recreation and dance. The organization provides guidance and research and leads lobbying on health issues in Congress.
By 2007, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation reported only 36 percent of children were doing the recommended one hour of physical activity a day and 30 percent participated in a sport on a regular basis.

Ken Reed, policy director of the sports reform project League of Fans, noted “Type 2 diabetes was once considered an adult disease. However, because more kids are overweight and obese, the incidence of the disease has increased dramatically in children and adolescents.”

more here

No PE classes, then when you're an adult they make laws banning Big Gulps

Decades ago, daily P.E. was the norm.

Gosh, I'm trying to think if we went daily? I think we did in grade school k-6 but I don't think we did in Jr High and High School. I can't remember though (graduated in 2000).

That said, I think my kids go every 4th day. They have "Specials" daily that include P.E., Art, Music, and Spanish. Depending on the day they attend the Special. Mine certainly don't go daily anymore.

Gosh, I'm trying to think if we went daily? I think we did in grade school k-6 but I don't think we did in Jr High and High School. I can't remember though (graduated in 2000).

That said, I think my kids go every 4th day. They have "Specials" daily that include P.E., Art, Music, and Spanish. Depending on the day they attend the Special. Mine certainly don't go daily anymore.
I'm pretty sure it was daily for me (in the 50s and 60s). Also required (2 classes a week) during the first 2 years of college at UNC.

Reactions: fredjr82
We went daily K-6, 3 times/week in JH and then every other day in HS. We also had a weightlifting class we could do over lunch hour when we weren’t at lunch. We also did the Presidential Fitness Awards. We had a strict PE teacher, but looking back it was good for everyone even if you weren’t athletic. Todays PE classes are a joke. At a lot of schools of you’re involved in sports you don’t have to take PE.

Eliminating PE to raise academic achievement - another great idea bought to you by educational professionals.

I'm pretty sure it was daily for me (in the 50s and 60s). Also required (2 classes a week) during the first 2 years of college at UNC.

We went daily K-6, 3 times/week in JH and then every other day in HS. We also had a weightlifting class we could do over lunch hour when we weren’t at lunch. We also did the Presidential Fitness Awards. We had a strict PE teacher, but looking back it was good for everyone even if you weren’t athletic. Todays PE classes are a joke. At a lot of schools of you’re involved in sports you don’t have to take PE.

I think we were closer to Mepo's schedule if memory serves me correctly.

@IowaHawkIT do you remember?

We had a weigh room in high school that had a manhole linking to the catacombs beneath the school. Very popular place to smoke cigarettes. The volleyball players in PE spent the whole class trying to get the ball stuck in the gym rafters so they could end the game. Our elderly gym teacher had the shop class build him a plexiglass gage to sit behind because student kept throwing balls at his head. The overarching goal of PE glass was not to sweat.

Eliminating PE to raise academic achievement - another great idea bought to you by educational professionals.
Correct. Kids need PE and recess to get some of their energy out so they can be ready to learn when in class. I applaud the elementary teachers who work exercise in with the lack of PE and/or recess.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
If a kid is practicing and playing sports after school, they shouldn't have to take PE during the school day.
And, should be allowed to use that time for academic pursuits.
If there are kids who are not in any extra-curricular physical activities, they should be required to take PE in school.

Pretty sure we had PE every day through 5th grade. After that it was twice a week in jr. high, then the same in high school unless you were out for whatever sport was happening. It really incentivized kids to participate.

I assume you are being facetious - since I'm pretty sure no actual educational professionals ever suggested that eliminating PE would increase academic achievement.

But, hey, this is HROT, so who knows?

Reactions: Tom Paris
We had a weigh room in high school that had a manhole linking to the catacombs beneath the school. Very popular place to smoke cigarettes. The volleyball players in PE spent the whole class trying to get the ball stuck in the gym rafters so they could end the game. Our elderly gym teacher had the shop class build him a plexiglass gage to sit behind because student kept throwing balls at his head. The overarching goal of PE glass was not to sweat.

Did you go to high school in Transylvania?

Kid in the 80s & 90s small town Iowa... had it every couple days.

In fact... even my small elementary school (about 60-65 kids over 3 classes in each grade K-5) the logistics to do daily would be tough. You’d either have to have all the kids in the grade join together (not feasible unless you higher another teacher), have only 15-20 minute classes (essentially glorified recess), or have to build a 2nd gym (yeah right).

I always felt bad for other guys in p.e. Not only did they see how inadequate they actually were when we changed in the locker room, I also destroyed them on the court.

Wait... after you and the other boy got naked in the locker room... why would you go back out to the court to have sex? The school didn’t frown upon that?

Reactions: hawkeye54545
Far Left Wingers: P.E. is just a way of shaming other's bodies and athleticism in a public setting. Get rid of it!!
Far Right Wingers: P.E. is illustrating ways to stay healthy and not be a fat burden on society. It's necessary. Get rid of band instead!

My Gym/PE teacher had to actually give a talk during our class to make the girls wear supportive bras. She implied their boobies jiggled too much. Derp, fringe benefits yo! She was the wife of Carl Jackson, assistant coach to Hayden Fry and later in the 49ers organization. She, Doris, was hilarious.

Reactions: ping72
Correct. Kids need PE and recess to get some of their energy out so they can be ready to learn when in class. I applaud the elementary teachers who work exercise in with the lack of PE and/or recess.
I loved PE and being a hyper lad, I needed it too. I don't remember if we went every day in elementary school, but certainly multiple times per week. Loved everything except for the annual square dancing week! Ugh!

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
P.E. was great. Blasting the unathletic kids in the face with a red dodge ball was great. Also during Duck Duck goose in grade school picking the fat kids as the goose so you could high step around the circle without being touched was a good time.

P.E. should be required still. We make it too easy for kids to be lazy.

Reactions: GOHOX69
If a kid is practicing and playing sports after school, they shouldn't have to take PE during the school day.
And, should be allowed to use that time for academic pursuits.
If there are kids who are not in any extra-curricular physical activities, they should be required to take PE in school.
The thing is, the athletes generally WANT to take PE. The kids who want to get out of it are the "band" kids. Not even joking.

Everyone in education should read this book to get a true understanding of how important exercise is to learning.

517Z49l80xL.jpg

I assume you are being facetious - since I'm pretty sure no actual educational professionals ever suggested that eliminating PE would increase academic achievement.

But, hey, this is HROT, so who knows?

Sure - the professionals did exactly that.

Dr. Brusseau: This is probably one of the major issues. Physical activity in school is probably one of the earliest public health efforts that our country made. Probably 100 years ago or so we decided to teach physical education. Twenty years ago, 25 years ago, it was pretty common for kids to have daily physical education. So in the elementary school they might have 30 or 45 minutes every day where they had an opportunity to be physically active in an educational setting. They also would oftentimes have recess multiple times a day.
What we're seeing now, though, is with Federal recommendations, No Child Left Behind, Common Core Standards, that schools are feeling the academic pressure. So what we're seeing is schools are minimizing or in many cases eliminating physical activity opportunities in lieu of other academic opportunities.
Timothy Brusseau, Ph.D., assistant professor in exercise and sport science at the University of Utah
https://healthcare.utah.edu/the-scope/shows.php?shows=0_jlvohbyj

Reactions: State of Illinois
Just reminding people bemoaning the physical condition of our citizenry that Moooochelle got lambasted for trying to draw awareness to eating healthier.

Just reminding people bemoaning the physical condition of our citizenry that Moooochelle got lambasted for trying to draw awareness to eating healthier.

Well that's just because she was an educated black woman and we're all racists...

The thing is, the athletes generally WANT to take PE. The kids who want to get out of it are the "band" kids. Not even joking.

Everyone in education should read this book to get a true understanding of how important exercise is to learning.

517Z49l80xL.jpg
A nearby catholic high school had this great pe teacher who in addition to conventional sports had kids do practical things requiring exertion to pass, most importantly they had to show proficiency at changing a flat tire on a car.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT