ADVERTISEMENT

Remember that guy who said DM police profiled him?

UNIowaHawk

HR Legend
Jul 22, 2011
Yeah.... the DM police dept released the body cam and it didn’t quite happen that way. The cop was extremely professional and the other guy not so much.

The citizen seems to know this gig too well, almost like he wanted this to happen. The cop isn't an ass, he just doesn't seem to know how to deal with a as the Dude puts it a "technically correct but still an asshole".

Edited from plant to wanted this to happen.

Reactions: birthhawk and bdg8
I saw this a day after it was on the local news...The WDM Police released their vest cams of the incident. The guy does need to ID himself when asked....,Still, the police could have used a different tact when they approached him initially.......My question now is why didnt the WDM Police release this vest cam last week whhen the shit hit the fan...a lot of the hullabaloo would have been avoided....And in theory, these types of things are exactly why Police are going to these vest cams....

So hes calling the cop racist, but then he says the cop is suspicious because hes white.

Am I missing something here or isn't that racist?

So hes calling the cop racist, but then he says the cop is suspicious because hes white.

Am I missing something here or isn't that racist?
I think his point was that he was deemed suspicious by the person who called police solely because of race and he was making the point that the cop should conclude the same and drop the matter. While I am sure his race was the why the police was called in the first place once there the cop has a job to do the the guy was a prick. It would seem intentionally so and that this was premeditated. How people really know the legal definition of solicitation in the heat of the moment?

I think his point was that he was deemed suspicious by the person who called police solely because of race and he was making the point that the cop should conclude the same and drop the matter. While I am sure his race was the why the police was called in the first place once there the cop has a job to do the the guy was a prick. It would seem intentionally so and that this was premeditated. How people really know the legal definition of solicitation in the heat of the moment?

This!

I hate those solicitors who knock on your door. I actually never answer and just stare at them out the window. We have a sign that says no soliciting on our front door. Idiots can’t read and I will give them zero amount of my time.

The guy does need to ID himself when asked....
Only if the officer has a reasonable suspicion that he's committed a crime. The police can not legally detain you - even to ask your name - absent that qualification. That's the law.

Officer: Can I speak with you?

Citizen: Are you detaining me?

Officer: Yes

Citizen: What am I suspected of doing?

If the officer can't answer that question, you can walk away. If the officer answers "No" to the detention question, you're free to go. Florida v Royer: The person approached, however, need not answer any question put to him; indeed, he may decline to listen to the questions at all and may go on his way. He may not be detained even momentarily without reasonable, objective grounds for doing so; and his refusal to listen or answer does not, without more, furnish those grounds.

That's the SC talking there. This guy acted like an ass and could have handled it much better...but everything he did was perfectly within the law.

Last edited:
Reactions: soybean and pablow
I was suspicious when they said it was a black guy from Louisiana and he was working for the David Young campaign. Maybe they weren't paying him enough and he saw this as a bigger payday.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
The guy did absolutely nothing to create a reasonable suspicion that he was engaged in criminal activity. He has every right to proceed about his business.

I'd love to hear the citizen 911 calls.

911 - "Please help, there is a negro walking around near my house."
Operator - "Take deep breaths - calm down. We'll send a unit out. Lock your doors."

I was suspicious when they said it was a black guy from Louisiana and he was working for the David Young campaign. Maybe they weren't paying him enough and he saw this as a bigger payday.
If that's the case, the LEO played right along. Maybe he's getting a cut?

The guy did absolutely nothing to create a reasonable suspicion that he was engaged in criminal activity.
You seem pretty certain about this, I’m wondering what facts you have to come to this conclusion.

Maybe he was just knocking on people’s doors. Maybe he was looking in windows to see if people were home. Maybe he was forceful. Maybe he was taking pictures of homes.

You seem pretty certain about this, I’m wondering what facts you have to come to this conclusion.

Maybe he was just knocking on people’s doors. Maybe he was looking in windows to see if people were home. Maybe he was forceful. Maybe he was taking pictures of homes.
Does the officer make any of those claims while attempting to detain him?

Does the officer make any of those claims while attempting to detain him?
Was the officer the one who called in a suspicious person?

Watching the body cam footage - it really doesn't do the WDM PD any favors. Mr. Hill was perfectly within his rights to walk away from the encounter and it's not a close call. And he was, in fact, quite polite up to that point. He specifically asks if he's broken any laws and gets no response beyond, "You're a suspicious person". That doesn't rise anywhere close to the level required for reasonable suspicion - it must be based on "specific and articulable facts". The officer has no grounds for a detention and Mr Hill doesn't have to respond to the officer in any way. He is free to go.

You can't detain someone because someone called in a "suspicious person". This isn't difficult. The officer HAS to have reasonable suspicion that THIS person has been involved in criminal activity. So what's the crime? Please answer that.

You can't detain someone because someone called in a "suspicious person". This isn't difficult. The officer HAS to have reasonable suspicion that THIS person has been involved in criminal activity. So what's the crime? Please answer that.
1) I’m not arguing that, I was saying he was doing his job and investigating a report and the other guy was being a DBag.
2) If the cop really wanted to be a dick he could have arrested him for making a threat when he said he works for people who would get all over him.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
The guy did absolutely nothing to create a reasonable suspicion that he was engaged in criminal activity. He has every right to proceed about his business.

I'd love to hear the citizen 911 calls.

911 - "Please help, there is a negro walking around near my house."
Operator - "Take deep breaths - calm down. We'll send a unit out. Lock your doors."

They should release the 911 call.

1) I’m not arguing that, I was saying he was doing his job and investigating a report and the other guy was being a DBag.
2) If the cop really wanted to be a dick he could have arrested him for making a threat when he said he works for people who would get all over him.
You can't detain someone for being a d-bag.

The person approached, however, need not answer any question put to him; indeed, he may decline to listen to the questions at all and may go on his way. He may not be detained even momentarily without reasonable, objective grounds for doing so; and his refusal to listen or answer does not, without more, furnish those grounds.
That's the Supreme Court telling you that the officer was wrong.

I saw this a day after it was on the local news...The WDM Police released their vest cams of the incident. The guy does need to ID himself when asked....,Still, the police could have used a different tact when they approached him initially.......My question now is why didnt the WDM Police release this vest cam last week whhen the shit hit the fan...a lot of the hullabaloo would have been avoided....And in theory, these types of things are exactly why Police are going to these vest cams....
They wanted to piss you off they know everything is about you.

Watching the body cam footage - it really doesn't do the WDM PD any favors. Mr. Hill was perfectly within his rights to walk away from the encounter and it's not a close call. And he was, in fact, quite polite up to that point. He specifically asks if he's broken any laws and gets no response beyond, "You're a suspicious person". That doesn't rise anywhere close to the level required for reasonable suspicion - it must be based on "specific and articulable facts". The officer has no grounds for a detention and Mr Hill doesn't have to respond to the officer in any way. He is free to go.
Next time you need a cop call Mr. Hill.

This must be really conflicting for Trumpanzees. The guy is Republican, but they can't bring themselves to defend him because, you know, black guy vs white cop.

Let me be the next liberal defending his rights to be there, and walk away from detainment.

Did the officer not say that there is a non-solicitation ordinance?

Is it not reasonable that the officer gather the person's name in case it has been an issue before or there after.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
My question now is why didnt the WDM Police release this vest cam last week whhen the shit hit the fan..

Not sure how it's done there, but usually the video has to be investigated by IA, then internal lawyers, then cleared by a committee, etc.........it takes time.

Police officers do have the right to temporarily detain an individual if there reasonable suspicion of a law being broken. The call from neighbors created that suspicion. The cop's job is to figure out what is going on, and determine if any laws are being broken, and a person is required to comply. Its really not that complicated.

Why is a black guy from Louisiana campaigning door to door in West Des Moines for a middle aged white republican from Van Meter?,... this whole thing seems odd.

Did the officer not say that there is a non-solicitation ordinance?

Is it not reasonable that the officer gather the person's name in case it has been an issue before or there after.
What evidence does he have that Mr. Hill was soliciting? A phone call does not provide specific, articulable facts for reasonable suspicion. The officer would have to observe something to lead him to reasonably believe that Mr. Hill was soliciting business.

I'm not sure what the problem here is. Does the right suddenly want a country where the police can stop you for no reason at all and demand that you answer questions? You'll have to run that past the Supreme Court...you might get a sympathetic ear now.

Why is a black guy from Louisiana campaigning door to door in West Des Moines for a middle aged white republican from Van Meter?,... this whole thing seems odd.

You think the Republicans of Louisiana want the face of one of their candidates to be a black guy? LOL. "Send 'im up North!"

So if the guy would have just said he was handing out flyers for political reasons , wouldn’t the encounter been over

It doesn’t always benefit a person to be a dick. I have seen the same situation with all races
Handing out fliers is solicitation. If there is an ordinance against that, he could certainly be detained.

What evidence does he have that Mr. Hill was soliciting? A phone call does not provide specific, articulable facts for reasonable suspicion. The officer would have to observe something to lead him to reasonably believe that Mr. Hill was soliciting business.

I'm not sure what the problem here is. Does the right suddenly want a country where the police can stop you for no reason at all and demand that you answer questions? You'll have to run that past the Supreme Court...you might get a sympathetic ear now.
I'm pretty sure he said he was in the video. He just didn't understand that political fliers is soliciting. The officer should have made that clear but didn't.

I've followed this story locally... Bottom line is this:

If a cop stops you in the street for knocking on neighbors' doors ... you simply stop and explain what you are doing and continue on with your day.

This guy had an agenda ... In fact, he even mentioned in another social media post he needed to check out Des Moines, Iowa because of previous racial profiling stories he heard about.

This clown had an agenda and he flippantly ignored the officer and tried to bate the officer into taking action on him while he recorded the officer.

I hate shit like this ... Yes, I know racial profiling like this unfortunately does take place, but this guy was trying to "create" the news.

If a black, white, pink, green ... officer stops and asks you a question then you answer it. Simple as that. Sadly, we've created this culture where we are teaching some people they don't need to respect or answer to authority.

This guy had one purpose ... I thought the cop did a great job handling the situation ... And, let's imagine the police officer was black ... would this even be a story?

LOL...so no black person can possibly support a middle-aged white Republican? FTR, he works for a company that was hired to pass out literature. I have no idea if he supports the candidate or not. And for the record, I found a snippet of one of the calls that was made to police...“It is very weird because it is warm and he’s wearing a coat and hat". It was 67...Hill is from Baton Rouge. That's winter weather there.

I'm pretty sure he said he was in the video. He just didn't understand that political fliers is soliciting. The officer should have made that clear but didn't.
Actually, he specifically said he wasn't soliciting. Distributing political fliers is most certainly NOT soliciting. Neither is religious proselytizing. Neither is political activism. These folks can knock on your door and engage you and you're free to close the door in their faces...but the SC says all of that is free speech.

Last edited:
Reactions: HKI
I'm not sure what the problem here is. Does the right suddenly want a country where the police can stop you for no reason at all and demand that you answer questions?

The Police had a reason,... multiple complaints from local citizens over a period of two days...

I forgot. You guys don't understand how rule of law works. There is a legal process they must adhere to.

So if the guy would have just said he was handing out flyers for political reasons , wouldn’t the encounter been over

It doesn’t always benefit a person to be a dick. I have seen the same situation with all races

You're right......he failed the "attitude test" and the vest cam showed it........Police have the expectation to be shown ID when they request it....The #1 reason why folks get "detained"......They cannot or do not have an valid ID (that is a fact)...all questions asked a suspect by police during their being detained is part of the attitude test.....and the attitude test is strictly a "pass / fail" situation...and very little, if any margin of error is allowed.

The Police had a reason,... multiple complaints from local citizens over a period of two days...
So....there are a lot of elderly racist that live in WDM is the only real conclusion you can draw from that...Lots of folks using night lights, as it were.....Their "concern" placed their police department and City in an embarrassing situation.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
ADVERTISEMENT