ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when some of you blasted people for saying Covid is just like the flu? Prepare to eat crow....

What is actually true right now, is that "year round Covid" is looking about what winter flu season looks like.

If Covid numbers stay about the same this winter, then it will be approaching flu levels; but the past two winters it has gotten much worse during flu seasons. We're still seeing 2500-3000 people a week dying from Covid. And, yes, that is "with" Covid, because it puts much greater strain on people with pre-existing conditions. And, yes, it still causes long-term sequelae for people that for some may be permanent.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Same here, but almost 30 years ago. Felt like death was a viable option.

Gotten my regular flu shot ever year since, and never had a recurrence.
I cannot recall the last year I DID NOT get a flu vaccine. Probably at least 20 years ago.

I expect we'll be getting annual or bi-annual Covid shots moving forward, depending on how it mutates.

Well, getting people vaccinated has significantly reduced the risk of death from COVID so a comparison to the flu is probably far more appropriate for vaccinated people than it was when people were being blasted for downplaying the danger from the disease. For people who choose to not get vaccinated, well, they've made their choice.

"However you slice it, there was never an instance where COVID-19 was milder than the flu," says Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly of Washington University in St. Louis, who has done research comparing COVID to the flu.

"We've never, ever in the history of the pandemic, in all our studies from the beginning until now, have found that COVID-19 is equally risky to the flu," Al-Aly says. "It's always carried a higher risk."

Did you?
Yes.

A higher risk….but it was exaggerated. Kind of like how you exagerated the risk to children.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Yes.

A higher risk….but it was exaggerated.
Was it?

1.1M Americans dead over ~2+ years doesn't seem terribly exaggerated, when that number is easily 10x-20x what flu deaths were (completely ignoring severe cases who survived with life-changing sequelae)

Sure wasn't "exaggerated" for these healthcare workers and their families/friends

I got Covid from a family here in Omaha for a travel baseball ball world series or something during College World Series. Couldn't walk for a week, had a cough for a month. I'm over it now, but I still get vertigo easier than ever.

My son has had it three times in three years, and gets sicker every time. He's got post-covid syndrome and it has given him asthma now.

Yes, @binsfeldcyhawk2.....all these dead healthcare workers who succumbed to Covid are simply hysterical! 🤣

You should start a hilarious thread about dead HCWs. People will LOVE it!!!
Good lord…how about addressing your all kids we’re gonna die bullshit.

Your dumbass created a thread that said children were going to die at an “astounding rate”. Total fear mongering bullshit

Q: What accounts for the heart dysfunction in children with MISC?
One effect on children who had severe cases of MISC: heart dysfunction. It's still not clear what's the trigger for this.

Dr. James Schneider, head of pediatric critical care at Northwell Health in New York, told a briefing on May 20, 2020. "A striking finding here — alarming — is that in this group, about half the children already had coronary artery abnormalities."

The children were previously healthy, so he thinks the abnormalities were caused by MISC, possibly as a result of a delayed immune response to the coronavirus.

"Any child at home who has fever, abdominal pain or symptoms such as rash and conjunctivitis should be seen by a pediatrician right away," he advised. "I think we need to have a low threshold for evaluation."

More than half of the 33 children treated for MISC at Northwell in April and May had developed some sort of heart dysfunction, Schneider told CNN.

Published June 21:
https://gulfnews.com/world/covid-19...e-disease-what-we-know-so-far-1.1592735647257

Now that we have vaccines it's no different than the flu (which also has vaccines).

Time to end all the mandates, but Slow Joe won't be doing that, I'm sure.

How many nurses have left the profession because of the vaccine mandates?

I'd rather have an unvaccinated nurse instead of no nurse.
Ending mandates = less vaccines = less financial gain for pfizer... which means everyone under their influence also has too much too lose. Politicians, mass media, large hospital conglomerates you name it. It's really pretty obvious at this point. Can't let the cash cow die.

I have had the flu several times and Covid was WAY worse for me. The variant I had was awful. I lost 15 lbs in six days and couldn't keep anything down or in. Nothing like puking and shitting through a screen door the whole time. It took a full two weeks after that to get my energy level back. I am just glad it didn't screw with my heart at all.

FUNFACT: There are LOTS more options than just "Pfizer" for Covid vaccines now
Yep, and your buddies in big pharma and federal govt get rich off all of them. Sorry but no one is dumb enough to believe the barrage of vaccine messaging, mandates and continued push is all about saving lives and not about money. The best part is, little guys like you are just willing shills and don't even reap the financial benefits.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Without re-reading two years worth of posts, my recollection is that there was a medical consensus that eventually COVID would become similar to the flu.
Yes. But on here there was a conservative consensus that covid was currently no worse than the flu.

Except it's still the flu on steroids. I've never been as sick as I was when I had Covid. 30 somethings I know dead. Get Bent
If you believe covid is still bad, we must be good because everyone knows you are a fool's fool.

Trad may be the dumbest poster on a board occupied by kfsdisciple and imcc. Impressive, really.
Dude. As an internist you know damn well that COVID as a primary cause of death these days is exceedingly rare. This isn’t like Delta where otherwise healthy 50 you’d are getting this and dying. Be honest so people can get information that matters from someone in the game.

Last edited:
Dude. As a Des Moines hospitalist you know damn well that COVID as a primary cause of death these days is exceedingly rare. This isn’t like Delta where otherwise healthy 50 you’d are getting this and dying. Be honest so people can get information that matters from someone in the game.
Lol. Ok "new guy". You're being purposefully stupid as well. Anyone with half a functional cerebral cortex knows Trads take is hogwash.

Last edited:
Lol. Ok "new guy". You're being purposefully stupid as well. Anyone with half a functional cerebral cortex knows Trads take is hogwash.
Of the number of hospitalized patients you have seen in the last 3 months that were COVID positive, how many do you think actually died of COVID rather than simply with a positive test? Long gone are the ‘ICUs full of vented COVID patients’ days.

Of the number of hospitalized patients you have seen in the last 3 months that were COVID positive, how many do you think actually died of COVID rather than simply with a positive test? Long gone are the ‘ICUs full of vented COVID patients’ days.
Seems like a very purposefully selected time frame. However, I've seen way more covid patients in the hospital than flu in the last 3 months. I've seen exactly zero patients with influenza in that time frame. I've seen several covid patients, some quite sick. The very sick ones are almost always unvaccinated.

Yep, and your buddies in big pharma and federal govt get rich off all of them. Sorry but no one is dumb enough to believe the barrage of vaccine messaging, mandates and continued push is all about saving lives and not about money. The best part is, little guys like you are just willing shills and don't even reap the financial benefits.
Vaccines are nothing but a big corporate big government money grab.

Brilliant take, just astounding really.

Yep I’ll agree. Very little influenza these days. But I don’t think the article was really saying that current influenza is worse than COVID. Merely that currently COVID has morbidity and mortality not much worse than flu historically.

It is a tad worse certainly but no where near what it had been prior. Local hospitals in my area have zero ICU COVID patients.

My point is not so much in support of Trads article rather that at some point we shouldn’t put anymore emphasis on COVID than flu. As long as variants remain as they have. Less and less virulent. Endemic.

Yep I’ll agree. Very little influenza these days. But I don’t think the article was really saying that current influenza is worse than COVID. Merely that currently COVID has morbidity and mortality not much worse than flu historically.

Again: FALSE

Covid deaths are running 3000/wk right now, and it's not even peak respiratory-virus season.

Reactions: HawkMD
Again: FALSE

Covid deaths are running 3000/wk right now, and it's not even peak respiratory-virus season.
The actual facts are very hard to determine here.

Deaths due to vs with.

Reported cases vs actual cases now that outpatient testing is so widely available. Very very many are not testing at a facility that reports.

I tell you what I do know ….ones chance of dying from COVID right now, unless you have very significant co morbidities, is very very low especially relative to what we are told to believe.

No one is afraid of COVID any longer. Nor should they be.

Reactions: your_master5
Morbidity and mortality aren't at all comparable when one disease is far, far more contagious than another. Once again, if Disease A and Disease B both kill 0.25% of those infected, that doesn't make them comparable if A infects 1 in 10,000 and B infects 1 in 10. No one...at least no one with any logic...would argue that they are equally dangerous. Not even remotely equal.

If every person in the US was exposed, Disease A kills about 8,150. Disease B kills 10X more. Additionally, that doesn't take long-term consequences into account.

And don't play the "with vs from" card. The same is true for the flu. Many elderly people with underlying conditions die "with" the flu and are counted as flu deaths. Why? Well, they would have lived longer had they not gotten ill. Living with Covid is something we have to do but those claiming it's no worse than the flu are still wrong.

Now that we have vaccines it's no different than the flu (which also has vaccines).

Time to end all the mandates, but Slow Joe won't be doing that, I'm sure.

How many nurses have left the profession because of the vaccine mandates?

I'd rather have an unvaccinated nurse instead of no nurse.
Post where you demonstrate you're a Moran.

Where the he'll are there still mandates?! He'll even nyc transit dropped theirs.

No, they are not.

Death certificates list cause of death, and if Covid is a cause, it's on the certificate.
Like how you used the wording ‘a cause’ not ‘the cause’. Intentional I’d suspect.

Ok so what’s ‘the’ cause in someone that died that had end stage renal disease on dialysis with a history of poorly controlled diabetes that gets admitted for high potassium after missing 2 days of dialysis due to car problems? Oh and by the way they have zero respiratory complaints and were tested anyway and were positive.

Is that a COVID death Joe?

What is actually true right now, is that "year round Covid" is looking about what winter flu season looks like.

If Covid numbers stay about the same this winter, then it will be approaching flu levels; but the past two winters it has gotten much worse during flu seasons. We're still seeing 2500-3000 people a week dying from Covid. And, yes, that is "with" Covid, because it puts much greater strain on people with pre-existing conditions. And, yes, it still causes long-term sequelae for people that for some may be permanent.
Long COVID in the never hospitalized never vented patient is the new fibromyalgia.

Maybe if you’d have actually exercised even two days in a row prior to getting COVID you wouldn’t be so tired now. Maybe if you didn’t smoke you wouldn’t be so short if breath now. Maybe if you didn’t weigh 350 lbs you’d feel better now too. Oh yes, COVID is the reason. That’s it. Long COVID. Rather, I prefer ‘long list of excuses’ if you ask me.

Like how you used the wording ‘a cause’ not ‘the cause’. Intentional I’d suspect.

Ok so what’s ‘the’ cause in someone that died that had end stage renal disease on dialysis with a history of poorly controlled diabetes that gets admitted for high potassium after missing 2 days of dialysis due to car problems? Oh and by the way they have zero respiratory complaints and were tested anyway and were positive.

Is that a COVID death Joe?
Is that scenario a high percentage of Covid deaths? More or less than 5%? What if they died of blood clots...a known consequence of Covid in high-risk individuals? Would Covid be a cause of death then?

ADVERTISEMENT