ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when Wisconsin fired the O-line coach after two games?

A

anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

I do. You can read the whole story here: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...dgers-fire-offensive-line-coach-mike-markuson

In 2012 Bielema fired his O-line coach after TWO games when Wisconsin couldn't run the ball and couldn't generate much offense at all. The Badgers barely beat Northern Iowa 26-21 and then lost to Oregon State 10-7. That was enough for the head coach.

"I'm never going to delay a decision that I think will help us win football games," Bielema said.

The article went on to note, "A dominant, NFL-sized offensive line has been Wisconsin's calling card going back to Barry Alvarez's tenure, but this year's [2012] line has had an uncharacteristically tough time opening holes for star running back Montee Ball and buying time for new quarterback Danny O'Brien."

Sound familiar, Hawkeye fans?

Wisconsin's O-line coach was replaced by Bart Miller, a graduate assistant in his second season with the Badgers.

Wisconsin, with Ohio State and PSU ineligible, went on to play in the Big Ten championship game where they beat Nebraska 70-31 before losing to Stanford in the Rose Bowl 20-14.

Iowa's football program tends to be more patient. Wisconsin's has continued to dominate. FWIW.

I'm more positive than most and think this season isn't quite lost yet, but I've gotta agree with this.

Polasek has had 2 1/2 years to make his mark and he's just not getting it done. We went from having a mauling interior line and average tackles (more to do with misses on the recruiting front) to having great tackles and a talent interior that rarely seems to be on the same page.

I don't think KF is the type to let a guy go midseason but I think after the year is over we need to move on from Polasek and go after either AJ Blazek (former Hawk at Rutgers currently, and just lost the HC who hired him) or an offensive assistant that would allow Brian to move back to working with the OL.

I'm more positive than most and think this season isn't quite lost yet, but I've gotta agree with this.

Polasek has had 2 1/2 years to make his mark and he's just not getting it done. We went from having a mauling interior line and average tackles (more to do with misses on the recruiting front) to having great tackles and a talent interior that rarely seems to be on the same page.

I don't think KF is the type to let a guy go midseason but I think after the year is over we need to move on from Polasek and go after either AJ Blazek (former Hawk at Rutgers currently, and just lost the HC who hired him) or an offensive assistant that would allow Brian to move back to working with the OL.
Blazek has been the o-line coach at NDSU since I think sometime last year.

When osu/wi play, we will hopefully find out if we have chance at wining the division. Need help, but certainly not a miracle.

Of course to me, any time we are 6-6 and heading to the toilet bowl, the season still isn't over to me :). I wouldn't be happy with the year but I'd still be ready to watch another game!

When osu/wi play, we will hopefully find out if we have chance at wining the division. Need help, but certainly not a miracle.

Of course to me, any time we are 6-6 and heading to the toilet bowl, the season still isn't over to me :). I wouldn't be happy with the year but I'd still be ready to watch another game!

We haven't been 6-6 in 12 years. You know it doesn't help your argument when you can't be honest, right?

Reactions: OILCHECKER
Not very busy, so probably just admiring the 3 consecutive B1G Championships he won as head coach, all in the past 10 years.

One more than the Dean of B1G coaches, 21 years in. Will Ferentz get a third to tie him with Fry, Alvarez, Bielema, and Dantonio?

Some coaches coach like their jobs depend on it.

But I did predict a 8-4, 9-3 regular season record since that is the norm at Iowa. So not off most peoples expectations yet. But when the coaching staffs goal is to win the Big10 and they haven't done it in the last 10 years, something needs to change.

Imagine if 2015 never happened....

There is no more patience with Polasek, fire that fool!

We went from best line in the country and have only gotten worse and worse....
Then you need to fire KF and BF as well. Some of you are totally delusional as to how good you think the Hawks have been on the OL. We have not had a unit from OT to OT that has been able to run the ball on an above average Run Defense in years.

What bridges in Iowa did Bert burn?
You guys don't seem to like him at all.
I mean, he was one of your own.
Most of us have a faint nostalgia for the guy who told Jim Walden that it had been a pleasure kicking his ass, or the one who got CJ Jones and Brad Banks to Iowa.

But beyond that, he proved at Arkansas that his success in Wisconsin was not due to him, but due to the system and culture Barry Alvarez put in place. Fun to listen to, good DC, but do not want as a HC.

Then you need to fire KF and BF as well. Some of you are totally delusional as to how good you think the Hawks have been on the OL. We have not had a unit from OT to OT that has been able to run the ball on an above average Run Defense in years.
True but I still think Polasek should be fired.

we also had an identity on offense in the old days. I’m not saying it as an excuse for the OL coach, but we go from Power I to spread in consecutive downs. I think majority of Iowa’s olinemen are run blockers. But when you force them to pass block 80+ times in the past 2 games. Kind of hard to develop a rhythm or cohesion.

have to get more creative in the run game. We might have to play Multiple TEs and force the defense to load up. Then hopefully PA out of it. Let’s face it who here gets scared when we go 5 wide?? We are not a spread team and never will be.

I do. You can read the whole story here: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...dgers-fire-offensive-line-coach-mike-markuson

In 2012 Bielema fired his O-line coach after TWO games when Wisconsin couldn't run the ball and couldn't generate much offense at all. The Badgers barely beat Northern Iowa 26-21 and then lost to Oregon State 10-7. That was enough for the head coach.

"I'm never going to delay a decision that I think will help us win football games," Bielema said.

The article went on to note, "A dominant, NFL-sized offensive line has been Wisconsin's calling card going back to Barry Alvarez's tenure, but this year's [2012] line has had an uncharacteristically tough time opening holes for star running back Montee Ball and buying time for new quarterback Danny O'Brien."

Wisconsin's O-line coach was replaced by Bart Miller, a graduate assistant in his second season with the Badgers.

Wisconsin, with Ohio State and PSU ineligible, went on to play in the Big Ten championship game where they beat Nebraska 70-31 before losing to Stanford in the Rose Bowl 20-14.

Iowa's football program tends to be more patient. Wisconsin's has continued to dominate. FWIW.
The fuskers scored 31 in that game? How can you score 31 while giving up 800 yards rushing?

KF hired him to do his job, which is to coach the O line. Clearly he isn't doing that job.....

And how much of that was the lines fault vs the scheme/passing game etc? This line can't even figure out who the fok they're suppose to block!

Reactions: Eternal Return
"The Joe Moore Award for the Most Outstanding Offensive Line unit"

what is the difference between "most outstanding" and best?

The Joe Moore Award annually recognizes the nation’s Most Outstanding Offensive Line Unit that best displays toughness, effort, teamwork, consistency, technique, and “finishing”.

2012 Wisconsin = better to be lucky than good (12-0 OSU ineligible because OSU chose THAT year to accept their punishment).

Iowa should've beaten Nebraska and we had ZERO offense that year and played that cold-a** Black Friday game in a damn wind storm.

Wisconsin just picked the scraps from what we left for them the next week.

It's also worth noting that Bielema was out as coach before the Rose Bowl that year..........not sure why that's neglected in this commentary.

The next year Wisconsin went 9-4, and the following year after that, Bucky Badger wanted to jump up to the Big Boy table, winning the new West division and got to face Ohio State in the Big Ten title game.......and proceeded to get f***ing destroyed, 59-0.

As far as I'm concerned, Wisconsin, since Bielema bounced, is the "King of Class 3A" and they're gonna let you know it, and they're gonna do everything they can to keep everyone else from moving up.

But when Wisconsin tries to jump to Big Boy Class 4A themselves..........59-0........0-3 in BTCG.........winless against OSU since 2010, when Melvin Gordon spurned Iowa because he wanted to go to some place that could "beat Ohio State"....
giphy.gif

IMHO, Wisconsin is absolutely content with their position as a f***ing gate keeper to the West,......as opposed to how Iowa fans view their own program, constantly being dissatisfied with the lack of upward mobility ever since KF's title years.

We'll see what happens this year, though, with Wisconsin.

Reactions: funnyfletcher

It has been rumored that Wisky loves themselves some roids. 20-30 lbs of muscle gain on a 180 lb dude in one year, is the norm in Badger land.

Or any other year Iowa won a title.....

Yes, imagine if Iowa's typical year was a 4-8 record. There's an unhealthy bit of delusion occurring when people think that changing head coaches will automatically go from 8 win seasons to 11 win seasons. Look at Nebraska with their constant turnover. They keep digging the hole deeper and deeper with each new coaching hire. The good news for them is that they are almost down to Illinois territory. Unless they become Rutgers they can only go up from where they are. lol

That said, there is a problem with the o-line, either recruiting competent guards or something with coaching or scheme.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT