ADVERTISEMENT

Reminder (if you haven't heard) on TWO big rules changes this year

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I know there was a thread on the 3 point line moving back. The new distance is 22 feet, 1.75 inches all around the arc.

SIAP regarding the shot clock rule change. Do you like it? Is the reset to 20 good or would, say, 15 be better?

Watch this short little video graphic:

This is an interesting graphic; unlike the NBA, the 3 point distance is the same all around the arc.

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW

threepoint-line-web2019-780x755.jpg

Last edited:
i would say both would benefit iowa based on Fran's style of play.
(although i'm not sure the 3-line is great for us this year since we only have one returning player who I would trust taking a 3 in-game)

The 3-pt line came into being to increase game tempo and as an equalizer for smaller programs vs bigger ones. Moving the line back doesn’t appear to help either of those causes. A longer 3pt shot automatically means a lower % made in general. This makes the lane easier to defend by the big athletic guys that blue bloods typically get and comebacks less likely.

This year the line move might help Iowa, who has pretty good bigs and shooters. If JB played too, it would definitely be a bonus.

Making the clock only 20secs after an offensive rebound doesn’t appear to reward those type of rebounds but will probably increase game speed.

The 3-pt line came into being to increase game tempo and as an equalizer for smaller programs vs bigger ones. Moving the line back doesn’t appear to help either of those causes. A longer 3pt shot automatically means a lower % made in general. This makes the lane easier to defend by the big athletic guys that blue bloods typically get and comebacks less likely.

This year the line move might help Iowa, who has pretty good bigs and shooters. If JB played too, it would definitely be a bonus.

Making the clock only 20secs after an offensive rebound doesn’t appear to reward those type of rebounds but will probably increase game speed.

A longer 3 point shot might mean a lower 3 point percentage, but I am not sure it will lead to overall lower FG%. With more space for defenders to cover, it will likely lead to more open driving lanes and lay-ups, dunks, and free throws. This could really help a team like Iowa that depends more on ball movement and doesn’t have many individual players who can create off the dribble 1v1.

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
A longer 3 point shot might mean a lower 3 point percentage, but I am not sure it will lead to overall lower FG%. With more space for defenders to cover, it will likely lead to more open driving lanes and lay-ups, dunks, and free throws. This could really help a team like Iowa that depends more on ball movement and doesn’t have many individual players who can create off the dribble 1v1.
There will be more lanes to the basket assuming defenders feel the need to guard the 3pt line as much. Greater distance shot means lower % made. Remember that. Let’s put it this way. The greater distance definitely favors MSU’s style of play. Their tendency to reel teams in during the second half by just packing it in and daring 3pters will be even more effective.

I know I'm getting old and sometimes I forget things. But didn't we already have the rule on the shot clock reset?

I know I'm getting old and sometimes I forget things. But didn't we already have the rule on the shot clock reset?
Current NCAA men's basketball shot clock rules before the above changes (https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch.../men/2018-19PRMBB_TableCrewReferenceSheet.pdf):
RESET to 20 seconds or the time remaining on the shot clock, whichever is greater, when:
1. There is a personal foul against the defensive team and the ball is to be inbounded by the offense in the front court.
2. There is a technical foul committed by the defensive team and the ball is to be inbounded in the front court by the offense.
3. There is a kicked or fisted ball by the defensive team and the ball is to be inbounded in the front court by the offense.
4. There is a kicked or fisted ball in the backcourt by the defense with 19 seconds or less remaining.

NO RESET when there is team control and:
1. The offense retains possession after the following: a. A held ball. b. An out-of-bounds violation.
2. There is an intentionally kicked or fisted ball with 20 seconds or more on the shot clock.
3. There is an injured player or a player loses a contact lens.
4. There is a timeout.
5. A double foul occurs (except when one of the fouls is flagrant).
6. There is a technical foul on the offensive team.
7. There is an inadvertent whistle when there is team control.

Like both rule changes.

However, I worry about how many times the Iowa clock operator will mess this up, causing the refs to stop the game to fix the issue.

Just kidding.... kind of

I do not like a changing shot clock after an offensive rebound. It will be a mess.
yeah, somebody is going to have to hit the right button and I bet this gets botched a lot

Fran, of course, won't be happy when the game gets stopped & the officials have to correct things

this is an interesting graphic; unlike the NBA, the 3 point distance is the same all around the arc

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW

threepoint-line-web2019-780x755.jpg

This may impact tempo teams such as Virginia or Wisconsin more than anyone.
I might just not have thought this out, but I am curious as to why you think it will have an affect on Wis and Virg. Do you believe it is an adverse affect?

College players won't have so many new rules when/if they make it to the NBA where they reset the clock to 14 seconds after an offensive rebound. I imagine that is the reason for most NCAA rule changes is so players going on to play professionally won't have so many adjustments to make.

Reactions: Jim4edwards
I don't think it will affect either that much, but (in theory) it will shorten possessions.
I don't think it will have much of an affect unless the shooting pct. goes way down. I also would like to point out that with the emphasis that both Wis and Virginia place on defending every possession. It could be a problem with some of the teams that they play.

I don’t think the moved 3pt line will affect many teams either way. Really good 3point shooters were already shooting from there. Marginal 3point shooters will perhaps drive more and certainly will shoot less from 3.

Teams with high Offensive Rebounding numbers will be slightly hurt by the shortened shot clock.

NCAA: let's add another human judgement factor every possession. And let's make it the clock guy - he's usually right. What could possibly go wrong?

Iowa's painting doesn't seem consistent with the drawings comparing NBA, NCAA men and women lines.
Men's line at Iowa not consistent 22 ft 1.75 in. WTF?

Rules opinion:
3 pt line change will not accomplish what they were looking for.

Shot clock change will have little affect on the game except to create more clock reviews and delays.

Last edited:
One thing it means is the distance for the most ill advised shot to take in a game has moved further out.

Reactions: iabcuda
Teams with high Offensive Rebounding numbers will be slightly hurt by the shortened shot clock.

Good. Unfortunately, both college and NBA will continue to be spineless about the real solution, which is to reduce the point value of offensive boards by 1. I'm tired of seeing plays where the defense plays perfect, boxes out perfect, but some horrible shot bounces funny for an easy put back. Or some freakishly tall player misses a bunny and taps in his own miss, as if the defender can simultaneously contest and box out in midair.

Like both the rules because it should help teams with bigs. It is harder to pack the paint on bigs with an extended three point line. Also like the fact that teams that play slow can't just milk the clock again after an offensive rebound.

NCAA: let's add another human judgement factor every possession. And let's make it the clock guy - he's usually right. What could possibly go wrong?

Iowa's painting doesn't seem consistent with the drawings comparing NBA, NCAA men and women lines.
Men's line at Iowa not consistent 22 ft 1.75 in. WTF?

Rules opinion:
3 pt line change will not accomplish what they were looking for.

Shot clock change will have little affect on the game except to create more clock reviews and delays.

It won't add human judgment every possession. Do realized the clock resets after an offensive rebound already? All that changes is the amount of time that it is reset to.

Meaning that if you thought before that a dumb shot to take is one foot inside the 3 pt line, you probably still think that.

I don't know if it will happen, but I would like to see a byproduct be more players hone their 15-18 foot shot and that becomes a bigger part of the game .

Meaning that if you thought before that a dumb shot to take is one foot inside the 3 pt line, you probably still think that.

I don't know if it will happen, but I would like to see a byproduct be more players hone their 15-18 foot shot and that becomes a bigger part of the game .

Oh.

ADVERTISEMENT