ADVERTISEMENT

Remote Learning Likely Widened Racial, Economic and Achievement Gap

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
GAZETTE: What is the magnitude of students’ learning loss due to the pandemic? Which school districts have been the most affected?

KANE: We found that districts that spent more weeks in remote instruction lost more ground than districts that returned to in-person instruction sooner. Anyone who has been teaching by Zoom would not be surprised by that. The striking and important finding was that remote instruction had much more negative impacts in high-poverty schools. High-poverty schools were more likely to go remote and their students lost more when they did so. Both mattered, but the latter effect mattered more. To give you a sense of the magnitude: In high-poverty schools that were remote for more than half of 2021, the loss was about half of a school year’s worth of typical achievement growth.

GAZETTE: What is the percentage of students who have experienced learning loss in the U.S.?

KANE: There are 50 million students in the U.S. About 40 percent, or 20 million students, nationally were in schools that conducted classes remotely for less than four weeks, and 30 percent, or 15 million students, remained in remote instruction for more than 16 weeks. In other words, about 40 percent spent less than a month in remote instruction, but about 30 percent spent more than four months in remote instruction. It is the dramatic growth in educational inequity in those districts that remained remote that should worry us.

GAZETTE: In which ways can learning loss affect high school graduation and college application rates and students’ life opportunities?

KANE: Some observers are going to say that we are too focused on the decline in test scores. However, given past relationships between test scores and other life outcomes, we would expect the achievement declines to translate into lower high school graduation rates (since students may not have the math or reading skills required for upper-level courses), lower college-going rates, and lower earnings. Recall that not every group of students saw the same decline — high-poverty schools were more likely to go remote and suffered larger losses when they did so. To be more concrete, students in high-poverty schools that were remote for more than half of 2020-21 would be expected to see a 5 percent decline in average earnings over their career, given past relationships between test scores and earnings. That may not sound like much, but when calculating losses for all 50 million students in K-12 education in the U.S., it would amount to a $2 trillion decline in lifetime earnings. It’s in that context that the $190 billion that the federal government has provided in supplemental aid for schools since the pandemic began sounds like a good investment, if it could be used to reduce the losses.

Also, because so many kids went through two years where they basically didn't have to do anything and still passed, now they seem to think that they can still do nothing and still pass. I have many students who are about to find out the hard way one what happens when you refuse to do any work or turn anything in. It's frustrating, but what are you going to do? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Also, because so many kids went through two years where they basically didn't have to do anything and still passed, now they seem to think that they can still do nothing and still pass. I have many students who are about to find out the hard way one what happens when you refuse to do any work or turn anything in. It's frustrating, but what are you going to do? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
This has been a problem is schools forever. Social Passing. Especially in middle schools when their grades don't mean anything or "The Power of I" is used. Then kids get to high school where grades manner and then they realize, "Wtf?"

Here's the latest...online report cards. Instead of printing them off, parents can login to portal and see the report cards there. My wife teaches elementary, at one of her district's better schools and she had 2 out of 25 parents login to look! TWO PARENTS even gave a shit!! But people think this is a teacher problem. Too many parents just don't give a damn. Parents couldn't "make" their kids do online learning during the pandemic.

That's why we struggle with accountability and discipline in our schools. Parents should be the "bad guys", not educators.

This has been a problem is schools forever. Social Passing. Especially in middle schools when their grades don't mean anything or "The Power of I" is used. Then kids get to high school where grades manner and then they realize, "Wtf?"

Here's the latest...online report cards. Instead of printing them off, parents can login to portal and see the report cards there. My wife teaches elementary, at one of her district's better schools and she had 2 out of 25 parents login to look! TWO PARENTS even gave a shit!! But people think this is a teacher problem. Too many parents just don't give a damn. Parents couldn't "make" their kids do online learning during the pandemic.

That's why we struggle with accountability and discipline in our schools. Parents should be the "bad guys", not educators.
Oh, I know how that works very well. However, it's even worse this year. I'm probably going to have close to twice the number of failures I normally have. I mean, after giving kids way more time than they deserve to do missing work, individual conferences with them, contacting parents (or at least trying to...some are unreachable) to let them know their kid is going to fail if they don't do anything, I really don't feel like there is anything more I can do. There's still a couple weeks left and I'll send my "your kid has one week to turn stuff in emails" later this week and maybe that will get a few more, but we'll see.

I have a friend that teaches at a Chicago Public School. Not highly impoverished but not wealthy by any stretch, probably upper middle of the road for CPS. He told me that they've lost 1/3 of their students. Not that 1/3 went to charters, private school, the suburbs, etc. 1/3 just never came back and left the education system

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk
Oh, I know how that works very well. However, it's even worse this year. I'm probably going to have close to twice the number of failures I normally have. I mean, after giving kids way more time than they deserve to do missing work, individual conferences with them, contacting parents (or at least trying to...some are unreachable) to let them know their kid is going to fail if they don't do anything, I really don't feel like there is anything more I can do. There's still a couple weeks left and I'll send my "your kid has one week to turn stuff in emails" later this week and maybe that will get a few more, but we'll see.
I even let a superintendent buddy of mine know about the parents not looking at report cards - it's visible - and now he's checking into it. Even "good" parents don't check them. Under 10%. That's insane to me.

• Sad
Reactions: BioHawk
Really no surprise. It was pointed out to the lockdown crowd that the poor and minorities would be hurt the worst by remote learning. It was pointed out to the lockdown crowd that the risk to kids dying of COVID was less than the risk of kids being transported to school. It was pointed out to the lockdown crowd there would definitely be social and economic costs.

Hey, I understand the initial response in the Spring of 2020. There were a lot of unknowns at that time. By the Fall of 2020, there should have at least been a hybrid option everywhere.

I have a friend that teaches at a Chicago Public School. Not highly impoverished but not wealthy by any stretch, probably upper middle of the road for CPS. He told me that they've lost 1/3 of their students. Not that 1/3 went to charters, private school, the suburbs, etc. 1/3 just never came back and left the education system
Wonder if those 1/3 would've just mentally checked out anyway... regardless remote.

Really no surprise. It was pointed out to the lockdown crowd that the poor and minorities would be hurt the worst by remote learning. It was pointed out to the lockdown crowd that the risk to kids dying of COVID was less than the risk of kids being transported to school. It was pointed out to the lockdown crowd there would definitely be social and economic costs.

Hey, I understand the initial response in the Spring of 2020. There were a lot of unknowns at that time. By the Fall of 2020, there should have at least been a hybrid option everywhere.
I just think it's ironic that given all the time they spent talking about issues of equality/equity they were the ones to push policy that constituted what is seemingly one of the bigger assaults on equitable outcomes in recent memory.

Wonder if those 1/3 would've just mentally checked out anyway... regardless remote.

The way he made it sound, everybody that he expected to eventually drop out is part of that 1/3 along with some he didn't expect. He expected his classes to finally be full of kids that wanted to be there but what he got was kids that were closer to wild animals after spending 2 years remote

Oh it absolutely did. I watched it happen here in our County, and it was something I kept screaming about. I was all for masking and staying home, but our children were falling behind unless they lived in very good conditions. My wife and Mother-in-Law are both teachers so I got to see how it affected students the most. Most of them simply didn't do any schooling because parents weren't home to make certain they did it. For students who didn't have computers they gave them laptops, but that only does so much when at least a 1/3 of her school doesn't have internet in their homes.

My kids did fine because I work from home, we have tons of computers and internet, and my wife and I both stayed on our kids day and night to get work done. But that certainly wasn't true for so many kids.

I even let a superintendent buddy of mine know about the parents not looking at report cards - it's visible - and now he's checking into it. Even "good" parents don't check them. Under 10%. That's insane to me.

I rarely check the actual report card because I can see the grades in the parent portal our school uses. The grades are the same.

I agree with most of your post....this seems a little extreme though.

Not all parents suck and not all educators are great.

On this issues....some educators (teachers unions) ect are one of the reasons some schools were remote so long.

Neither should be vilified....
Parents who don’t hammer the value of education, should be vilified

I rarely check the actual report card because I can see the grades in the parent portal our school uses. The grades are the same.
They aren't logging into the parent portal. That's what I am saying. We can tell if parents are logging in to look and they aren't. If you are using campus, your child's teacher can look, if they know how, to see if you have logged in.

I agree with most of your post....this seems a little extreme though.

Not all parents suck and not all educators are great.

On this issues....some educators (teachers unions) ect are one of the reasons some schools were remote so long.

Neither should be vilified....
I never said all parents suck and we were just talking about one of our crappy co-workers today. I will stick by what I have seen over the last 23+ years as far as parents, child accountability from at home and in districts. Also, again, in my state our union has nothing to do with anything. It has no power.

I also know that almost nobody I work with wanted to teach remotely. We talked about it a lot. It doubled the workload. I was working until 10:00 most nights because of it, trying to keep up with the lesson creating and grading.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2

There pretty much was. In my district and most of Iowa for sure. Kids were in school so it went how you wanted.

Are you one of those who think schools indoctrinate though? A Republican who only wants kids in schools when it fits their narrative?

They aren't logging into the parent portal. That's what I am saying. We can tell if parents are logging in to look and they aren't. If you are using campus, your child's teacher can look, if they know how, to see if you have logged in.
My wife has found the exact same thing. Parents can go in at anytime and see what assignments are missing, what the requirements are, what the current grades are etc. Now that the year is about over and a couple pretty fun annual events are coming up for everyone who does not have an F in a class, some parents are suddenly interested. Some are emailing her (they have had F's for weeks now) about extra credit, getting points for extremely late assignments, etc. She noticed over the weekend that one in particular had submitted a bunch of old stuff. So she decided she would grade it. She pulled them up and all they had was the kid's name. No work was done. So I guess he can tell his parents he did them and it is unfair he can't participate.

There pretty much was. In my district and most of Iowa for sure. Kids were in school so it went how you wanted.

Are you one of those who think schools indoctrinate though? A Republican who only wants kids in schools when it fits their narrative?
As usual, you haven't been paying attention. I'm not GOP. My own kid went to Catholic school. My mom was a public school teacher. I don't have any general problem with public schools. Many of your postings have me questioning who is teaching our children. I'd prefer teachers teach based on facts, which is a form of narrative.

You apparently only view the world through your own lens. I guess you weren't aware of what was going on in other places, like Chicago, which resisted going back to the classroom.

Reactions: Black Lab Hawk

Ours are emailed to us and we can log in to see. We can also log in and monitor grades, assignments, attendance etc. Well that’s if teachers update scores, some do and some don’t. Hard to track progress if the data isn’t there.

A couple things I don’t like; having the whole semester or quarter to turn assignments in. How does that teach time management, accountability and responsibility? Also, having assessments (tests) be 80%+ of grades and have heard they’re moving to 100%.

Reactions: 3boysmom
They aren't logging into the parent portal. That's what I am saying.
No, what you said was they weren't looking at report cards.
Here's the latest...online report cards. Instead of printing them off, parents can login to portal and see the report cards there. My wife teaches elementary, at one of her district's better schools and she had 2 out of 25 parents login to look!

I even let a superintendent buddy of mine know about the parents not looking at report cards

I get that they likely aren't paying attention at all, but I simply pointed out that you don't have to look at the report card to be up to speed on your kid's grades/progress.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Well that’s if teachers update scores, some do and some don’t. Hard to track progress if the data isn’t there.
Yep. One of the more annoying things to deal with as both a parent and a school admin. If you assign stuff, grade it and provide feedback in a timely manner.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Ours are emailed to us and we can log in to see. We can also log in and monitor grades, assignments, attendance etc. Well that’s if teachers update scores, some do and some don’t. Hard to track progress if the data isn’t there.

A couple things I don’t like; having the whole semester or quarter to turn assignments in. How does that teach time management, accountability and responsibility? Also, having assessments (tests) be 80%+ of grades and have heard they’re moving to 100%.
I agree. No doubt some don't get around to putting scores in. When my kid got a new PE teacher, several years ago, I called him out in an email when all of a sudden she was given all "meets", after 4 years of getting some of those and many "exceeds". She was upset. I knew all he did was went in and hit "M" for every kid for every standard. He actually admitted it. Terrible.

It doesn't. It is nothing like real life. It drove us nuts when it was first introduced. One more thing to allow kids not to be accountable. None of us can just tell the boss you didn't do something without some sort of consequence.

No, what you said was they weren't looking at report cards.

I get that they likely aren't paying attention at all, but I simply pointed out that you don't have to look at the report card to be up to speed on your kid's grades/progress.
I am not trying to argue with you. What I am saying is, the teacher can see if the parents logged in..at all. If it is report card week and parents did not login the teacher can see. They can tell, by week, if parents logged into the portal to see anything. Assignments. Grades. No login, the parents didn't look at any of it. Does that make more sense?

Again, here one has to login to portal to be able to view report cards. It's the pathway to the report cards or assignments.

This isn't a surprise to anyone. This is one of many reasons why there was a sense of urgency for vaccination and masking, so that we could get back to vital in-person service and activities, including school.

Also not surprising that the GQP Trumpsters feign concern for the vulnerable and underserved to meet their own objectives.

Does this mean conservatives want to address the issues listed by OP in his thread title? HROT cons seem to think any idea to address these things turns us quickly into Venezuela. Genuinely curious. OP?

This isn't a surprise to anyone. This is one of many reasons why there was a sense of urgency for vaccination and masking, so that we could get back to vital in-person service and activities, including school.

Also not surprising that the GQP Trumpsters feign concern for the vulnerable and underserved to meet their own objectives.
Lol. Some schools in "blue'' states didn't go back to in person learning until Fall of 2021, well past vaccines and maksing protocols. Most schools in "red" states were open in the Fall of 2020. This was strictly because of the pushback by the Unions in those states. This is solely on Team Blue and they are going to have to own it in November. Good luck with your disinformation there. Hopefully Biden's czar doesn't come after you.

Parents who don’t hammer the value of education, should be vilified

The issue here, though, is not that there are bad parents, that will always be the case. The issue is that online school - instituted by school administrators and often at the behest of teachers union - made decisions to go to online classes despite knowledge that millions of parents, good or bad, lacked the time or resources to properly assist their children and help them succeed in that environment. These schools supported a policy that was destined to widen the educational gap between advantaged children and disadvantaged children, and seemed unconcerned about this predictable result when it was pointed out to them.

Lol. Some schools in "blue'' states didn't go back to in person learning until Fall of 2021, well past vaccines and maksing protocols. Most schools in "red" states were open in the Fall of 2020. This was strictly because of the pushback by the Unions in those states. This is solely on Team Blue and they are going to have to own it in November. Good luck with your disinformation there. Hopefully Biden's czar doesn't come after you.
A minimal number of schools. FAR more were back in school in 2020, like Iowa was.

The issue here, though, is not that there are bad parents, that will always be the case. The issue is that online school - instituted by school administrators and often at the behest of teachers union - made decisions to go to online classes despite knowledge that millions of parents, good or bad, lacked the time or resources to properly assist their children and help them succeed in that environment. These schools supported a policy that was destined to widen the educational gap between advantaged children and disadvantaged children, and seemed unconcerned about this predictable result when it was pointed out to them.
What teacher's union? Certainly not, again, in Iowa. Especially because teachers hate online teaching.

What objective is the GOP tribe meeting by wanting kids in school instead of remote learning?

ADVERTISEMENT