ADVERTISEMENT

Remote Learning Likely Widened Racial, Economic and Achievement Gap

They aren't logging into the parent portal. That's what I am saying. We can tell if parents are logging in to look and they aren't. If you are using campus, your child's teacher can look, if they know how, to see if you have logged in.

Your system isn't working. So change it instead of complaining about it. Parents don't want to, or aren't going to go online to find the report cards apparently.
So, print them out, send them home with students to be signed by the parents and returned to the teacher.
I guarantee you will improve on your 2 out of 25 current rate.

Reactions: NCHawk5
Plenty of them.

Here is a good discussion about how teachers unions slowed down the return to in person schooling across the country.

Thanks. Makes sense we were back so quickly because we have no collective bargaining rights. It still doesn't really explain the fact teachers themselves wanted to be back in the classroom overwhelmingly. Nobody in my building wanted to do online teaching. It sucked.

Your system isn't working. So change it instead of complaining about it. Parents don't want to, or aren't going to go online to find the report cards apparently.
So, print them out, send them home with students to be signed by the parents and returned to the teacher.
lol. You're such a dolt about education.

... But people think this is a teacher problem. Too many parents just don't give a damn. Parents couldn't "make" their kids do online learning during the pandemic.

That's why we struggle with accountability and discipline in our schools. Parents should be the "bad guys", not educators.
Totally, totally agree here. While some good teachers help their students overcome obstacles, etc, and some bad teachers may even indirectly limit some/all of their students.

It is absolutely, first and foremost, a parenting problem when kids don't give a crap, etc.

Thanks. Makes sense we were back so quickly because we have no collective bargaining rights. It still doesn't really explain the fact teachers themselves wanted to be back in the classroom overwhelmingly. Nobody in my building wanted to do online teaching. It sucked.
Teachers in your area…teachers in Chicago didn’t seem to want to go back to in person.

Maybe it was a urban v rural divide in that

Reactions: Finance85
If you aren't going to answer something that comes to your cell phone you definitely won't return anything by snail mail/student.

If you aren't going to answer something that comes to your cell phone you definitely won't return anything by snail mail/student.
It gets buried in the garbage of the email inbox. And, is easier to miss.
The numbers shared bear that out.
Make the kid have their parent sign a physical copy, and bring it back to the teacher.

Teachers in your area…teachers in Chicago didn’t seem to want to go back to in person.

Maybe it was a urban v rural divide in that

We have a number of teaching friends and their take on it is that it was more of a generational thing,... Older more established teachers resisted going back, while younger teachers grudgingly accepted the remote teaching option that they were presented with...

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
We have a number of teaching friends and their take on it is that it was more of a generational thing,... Older more established teachers resisted going back, while younger teachers grudgingly accepted the remote teaching option that they were presented with...
Damned boomers....

I see some irony here. On one hand, a lot of teachers think they know better than parents (and in many cases they do), and want to dictate to parents what and how kids are taught. On the other hand, when kids fail to learn, teachers want to blame the parents. And then when we have parents get to see everything being taught, and object to some of it, teachers and school boards tell parents to shut up. Heck, Biden, just this month, referred to teachers as the students' parents (paraphrasing).

It takes both. Parents rely on subject matter expertise provided by teachers. Teachers rely on parents to provide motivation and discipline, as well as recognizing when a child needs extra help.

Everyone advocating for a strong public education system, including me, needs to recognize there's a responsibility that can't be blamed away. Everyone knows there are parents that won't or can't step up. Every current teacher knew that when they took the job.

GAZETTE: What is the magnitude of students’ learning loss due to the pandemic? Which school districts have been the most affected?

KANE: We found that districts that spent more weeks in remote instruction lost more ground than districts that returned to in-person instruction sooner. Anyone who has been teaching by Zoom would not be surprised by that. The striking and important finding was that remote instruction had much more negative impacts in high-poverty schools. High-poverty schools were more likely to go remote and their students lost more when they did so. Both mattered, but the latter effect mattered more. To give you a sense of the magnitude: In high-poverty schools that were remote for more than half of 2021, the loss was about half of a school year’s worth of typical achievement growth.

GAZETTE: What is the percentage of students who have experienced learning loss in the U.S.?

KANE: There are 50 million students in the U.S. About 40 percent, or 20 million students, nationally were in schools that conducted classes remotely for less than four weeks, and 30 percent, or 15 million students, remained in remote instruction for more than 16 weeks. In other words, about 40 percent spent less than a month in remote instruction, but about 30 percent spent more than four months in remote instruction. It is the dramatic growth in educational inequity in those districts that remained remote that should worry us.

Are schools still remote only? I thought that was just 2020-21.

Depended on state/city
In our suburban town, schools went remote for the spring of '20, which was a disaster because there was no plan in place once covid hit. For most of '20-21 kids were remote outside of the last month and a half where it was optional to be in person or not and my daughter's school did a phenomenal job with the kids. My daughter excelled with the remote learning even handing out laptops to anyone who needed one. This year it was all back in person learning. The reason I bring it up is that the NJ town I live in was on the side of caution, so it surprises me that there are still schools that are fully remote.

In our suburban town, schools went remote for the spring of '20, which was a disaster because there was no plan in place once covid hit. For most of '20-21 kids were remote outside of the last month and a half where it was optional to be in person or not and my daughter's school did a phenomenal job with the kids. My daughter excelled with the remote learning even handing out laptops to anyone who needed one. This year it was all back in person learning. The reason I bring it up is that the NJ town I live in was on the side of caution, so it surprises me that there are still schools that are fully remote.
I think basically everyone is back in person now....

The Harvard study was comparing pro longed remote learning v in-person.

I guess there are a few that continued into 2022...

Reactions: SI_NYC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT