ADVERTISEMENT

REO/Night Ranger in DSM on 6/21

PellaHawkeye

HR All-State
Oct 19, 2001
Anybody else score tickets for this concert @ Water Works Park? $221 for two tix but the nostalgia should hopefully be worth it. REO formed in 1967 and Kevin Cronin is 72 now. Saw Night Ranger in 2011 and never imagined I’d be seeing them again live 13 years later. Spent many a weekends in my youth listening to their tunes on cassette tape while booze cruisin’ on gravel roads in SE Iowa. And the best part is the concert is on a Friday evening.

Have a great time. I bet those old geezers can still put on a show.

Gary Richrath was a very underrated guitarist. But he's dead.

I wonder who is playing lead guitar for REO?

You know modern music must truly stink horribly when bands such as these are still humping it around nearly 40 years past their prime and getting $100+ per ticket to do so.

I remember seeing REO in the UNI Dome back in the day. Largest indoor concert crowd ever in Iowa to this day if I'm not mistaken. 25,003 in attendance I believe, that's what the concert tees had printed on them.

For some reason I believe tickets were something like $10...

Reactions: Moral and EasyHawk
I’d go to that, but damn concerts are expensive!

This is why the economy makes no sense to me. People complain about the price of eggs yet REO Speedwagon and Night Ranger are sold out?

Sold out at $100+ per ticket.

I can remember thinking $25 to see the Rolling Stones (with Van Halen as the warm-up act) in Orlando circa 1981 was highway robbery....

Seems way too expensive for a couple of has beens.

More power to them if they can get it.

I would have guessed $40-$50 at best.

Seems like okoboji gets similar bands in summer and they are free to public.

Anybody else score tickets for this concert @ Water Works Park? $221 for two tix but the nostalgia should hopefully be worth it. REO formed in 1967 and Kevin Cronin is 72 now. Saw Night Ranger in 2011 and never imagined I’d be seeing them again live 13 years later. Spent many a weekends in my youth listening to their tunes on cassette tape while booze cruisin’ on gravel roads in SE Iowa. And the best part is the concert is on a Friday evening.
Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Saw Night Ranger in Norfolk back in 1985. It was their 7 Wishes tour. Damn fine concert. Saw what was left of them again in Des Moines. Not bad.

Saw REO more times than I can remember. First time in the late 70s.

Reactions: PellaHawkeye
Have a great time. I bet those old geezers can still put on a show.

Gary Richrath was a very underrated guitarist. But he's dead.

I wonder who is playing lead guitar for REO?

Yeah, Richrath was a great guitarist. He'd left the band a long time ago, though - late 80s or early 90s...he and Cronin had a huge falling out. They reconciled as far as getting along with each other, and Richrath played with the band a couple of times at special events, but never rejoined the band. Dave Amato has been the lead guitarist since Richrath left (before that he was part of Ted Nugent's backing band).

Reactions: stickman80
Saw REO in the mid 70s at an arena at Furman University where a friend was in school.

Walked out. I've seen many, many concerts in my life, and not a one of them was that loud. Painful on the ears. Love their music, but not the volume they played out (or maybe it was the arena acoustics, don't know.) Don't Let Him Go is one kick-ass song.

Saw REO in the mid 70s at an arena at Furman University where a friend was in school.

Walked out. I've seen many, many concerts in my life, and not a one of them was that loud. Painful on the ears. Love their music, but not the volume they played out (or maybe it was the arena acoustics, don't know.) Don't Let Him Go is one kick-ass song.

Saw REO numerous times back in the 70’s, Really enjoyed their shows. Never really thought they played to loud, Now Ted Nugent on the other hand really liked to crank up the Amps, I may well have gotten permanent hearing loss from the feedback he used when playing Hibernation.

I told this story before on a 1% motor cycle club thread. REO used to play the Dubuque County Fair almost every summer in the late 80s/early 90s. We'd always go to the non-ticketed section over by one of the 4H buildings, which was separated form the stands by a chain link fence. One year I was wearing a Dubuque Wilwert's Harley-Davidson T-shirt, and was standing near a group of Hells Angels wearing colors. One of them came over to my friend and I and asked if we wanted to see the show from the stands, and proceeded to toss us both over the fence. I skidded down the gravel pathway like a slip-n-slide, then saw REO for the 3rd or 4th time, this time a little closer. CSB.

Yeah, Richrath was a great guitarist. He'd left the band a long time ago, though - late 80s or early 90s...he and Cronin had a huge falling out. They reconciled as far as getting along with each other, and Richrath played with the band a couple of times at special events, but never rejoined the band. Dave Amato has been the lead guitarist since Richrath left (before that he was part of Ted Nugent's backing band).
Saw REO at Iowa State Fair in the 90s. Richrath made an appearance and played a song. He looked like he was suffering from a medical issue even then.

Cronin is one of those special performers who knows how to hook up with the crowd. By the end of the show you feel like he is an old friend.

Seems way too expensive for a couple of has beens.

More power to them if they can get it.

I would have guessed $40-$50 at best.

Seems like okoboji gets similar bands in summer and they are free to public.
REO is playing at Okoboji June 14th. Also playing in KC June 19th with Night Ranger. I had tickers to BTO June 19th at the Surf but my daughter wants me to go to REO in KC with her so I will have to sell my BTO tickets. I have seen REO twice at Surf ballroom.

Night Ranger had that one song...

Our tickets are purchased. Should be a great time!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT