ADVERTISEMENT

Rep. Kurt Schrader (D) loses his primary in Oregon, despite an endorsement by President Biden

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
More than a week after voters went to the polls, incumbent Rep. Kurt Schrader fell to Jamie McLeod-Skinner in the Democratic primary for the Oregon’s 5th Congressional District.
Election results in the race were delayed after blurry bar codes were rejected by vote-counting machines. McLeod-Skinner, a lawyer and natural resource consultant, will go on to face Republican Lori Chavez-Deremer in the general election, according to the Associated Press.

Schrader was endorsed by President Biden for an eighth term while McLeod-Skinner, who ran unsuccessfully for Congress in 2018 as the Democratic nominee in Oregon’s 2nd District, had the backing of several of the party’s more-liberal voices, including Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.).

The race was one of the country’s most closely watched Democratic primaries given that it was the first to earn Biden’s endorsement — but also because the president felt the need to back an incumbent with an uneven track record for supporting his agenda.
“We don’t always agree, but when it has mattered most, Kurt has been there for me,” he said last month of Schrader, who initially voted against the American Rescue Plan before eventually backing the legislation. “And in doing so, he has helped to pass much of my agenda into law — making a huge difference in the lives of the Oregonians he represents and all of America.”

Reactions: Torg
Yeah I agree. I'd say the same thing about a Trump endorsement.

I think/hope most of the country us ready for new blood and it only seems it isn't because the extremes are the loudest.
100% agree, although I read that the winner could face a tough general race.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT